SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Page loading state

Hello there!

I'm working on a project at http://dev.northlightarchitecture.com/

I've implemented a script called "coda slider" for the effect on the main page, but everything is seriously ugly until the page has actually completely loaded.

Is there any way to hide the page contents and display a GIF image (this would probably be an aqua spinner and the Northlight logo) until everything is done?

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I would go about this?

Thanks, your help is ultra-appreciated
    Rich

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    P.S. The site would still have to work (if not perfectly) if JavaScript is turned off. If you turn of Javascript on the current site, everything looks okay and is just in one big column.

Guru in training bronze trophy SoulScratch's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When distributing a piece of JavaScript code it's traditional to think that the smallest (byte-size) code will download and load the fastest. This is not true - and is a fascinating result of this survey. Looking at the speed of loading jQuery in three forms: normal, minified (using Yahoo Min), and packed (using Packer). By order of file size, packed is the smallest, then minifed, then normal. However, the packed version has an overhead: It must be uncompressed, on the client-side, using a JavaScript decompression algorithm. This unpacking has a tangible cost in load time. This means, in the end, that using a minifed version of the code is much faster than the packed one - even though its file size is quite larger.
    Taken from ejohn.org

I would suggest not using a packed version and mini-fier instead. Might help with the speed.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I'll definitely work on the compression... that's some great suggestions.

If anyone has any ideas as to how to hide the content and display alternative content until onLoad... let me know. Thanks