SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are directories necessary for SEO?

I have not had the time to submit my sites manually to directories, and have been getting decent links elsewhere. I am wondering if links from directories will give my serps a noticeable increase.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends which directories really.

But any links couldn't hurt would it? I would submit to as many as you can.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    If u r unable to submit ur site to the directories then its effect ur website ranking . So if u want ur site on top ranking then submit this in the directories.
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my opinion also a certain amount of backlinks from good and relevant directories to your site will increase your position in the SERPs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Directories are no longer a vital part of SEO, but they are definatally still worth something. I suggest you submit your site to popular directories first that get a decent amount of visitors; at least you will get a trickle of highly targeted traffic to your site every now and then.

I usually have my sites submitted to around 500 directories, but simply submitting them is usually not enough.

For about 40% of that 500 a lot of the time your link will be so deep inside the directory it will not be found by a search engine for months, if ever. Obviously that means you would have wasted your time (and money if you got someone else to do it).

You can however combat this by taking a note of the page that your sites listing is on, and then linking to it from other well indexed sites. For example, I could submit the link to the directory (the link directly to the page for your site, not the directory index) to a social bookmarking site and it would get indexed a lot faster than the directory ever would with no help.

Directory submission done properly can make your site jump quite a bit higher within search results - but most people just don't do it properly. You should also use a variety of anchor texts when submitting to directories, to increase your chances of ranking for other key words.

Hope this was helpful, sorry if there's any mistakes, this was written pretty quickly!

Kieran

Edit: Oh, I left something out!

It is also a very good idea to use different descriptions for each directory you submit too. This might sound like a lot of work, but it really isn't. You can use something like JetSpinner (free) which with a little bit of work can generate as many variations of your description as you want. Google doesn't like duplicate content, and again, takes value away from the directory; so this is certainly worth doing. I tend to make directory descriptions 30% different from any other one on any other site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try to squeeze in a couple submissions a day. It's amazing what a few links with good anchot text will do to your SE placement.

SitePoint Enthusiast akashdwivedi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Directory submission is useful part of Off-Page Optimization. It increase the visibility of the website on search engine through backlink and generate some quality traffic. Just make a plan before doing submissions to the relevant categories of quality directories.

All the best...

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by akashdwivedi View Post
    Directory submission is useful part of Off-Page Optimization. It increase the visibility of the website on search engine through backlink and generate some quality traffic. Just make a plan before doing submissions to the relevant categories of quality directories.

All the best...
    I wouldn't go so far as to say they deliver quality traffic. I would say they deliver virtually no traffic. Submitting a site to directories is really all about getting some quick and easy backlinks. That's pretty much the only real purpose they serve.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bigalreturns's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They can be useful in the very early stages of a site to get the initial links that will get you indexed. If you're competing for even mildly competitive search terms, however, they are as good as useless.
    "The proper function of man is to live - not to exist."
    Get a Free TomTom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigalreturns View Post
    They can be useful in the very early stages of a site to get the initial links that will get you indexed. If you're competing for even mildly competitive search terms, however, they are as good as useless.
    QFT

Recent article - http://www.searchengineguide.com/dav...l-hold-any.php

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee View Post
    I wouldn't go so far as to say they deliver quality traffic. I would say they deliver virtually no traffic. Submitting a site to directories is really all about getting some quick and easy backlinks. That's pretty much the only real purpose they serve.
    While I have agree with your point on quality traffic to some extent- I should also mention that, directories are not merely for few quick backlinks.

If directory submission is of high quality ( 100% manual with judicous use of anchor texts) - relevant directories could really give good ranking boost and also few visitors from time to time.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhnrang View Post
    If directory submission is of high quality ( 100% manual with judicous use of anchor texts) - relevant directories could really give good ranking boost and also few visitors from time to time.
    Even relevant directories offer little SEO value because the pages they are on are weak. The best you can hope with most directories is to be listed in a popular niche directory and then you may see some traffic. But unfortunately the truth of the matter is most directory links are weak at best and deliver no traffic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A site's listing in a directory is still a valid backlink that would help in SERP - to what the OP was asking for. The thing about directory submissions is selection - on which directories to submit to and which to avoid.

True traffic is poor from some directories, but it sums up. Its minimal but most are targeted visits.
    ClickXposure.com - PPC Management

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's important to submit to directories, they do help to be on the top

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Directory submission is useful part of Off-Page Optimization. It increase the visibility of the website on search engine through backlink and generate some quality traffic. Good luck

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think directory submissions are vital, but always good to do. However, since I only submit to a few directories and get such a low response time on them it doesn't seem worth it. I'm only one person and I can't/don't want to submit to that many directories anyways. There are better ways to spend your SEO time.