SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Category/Tag Questions

I have an entertainment blog and I'm trying to find certain features that has to do with categories and tags but I haven't had luck so far so I thought I would ask here.

1. I'm categorizing my blog like this (Music, Videos, etc..) and tags like this (musician1, musician2, musician3,)..is this the right way to use categories and tags?

2. I Have simpletag, but I'm not sure if it does what I want. I put in the tags of the musicians but don't know how to get htose tags to display under the post on the index.php and single.php.

3. Is there a way to get tags to show under a post? say the tag musician1 has the same tag in another post, I would want it to display 5 recent posts that has to do with musician1.

4. Is there a tag cloud plugin? I know there are plugins for category clouds, but if my categories is an musician then I'll have a huge list since they will all fall in music or video..so looking for a tag cloud where it could be more specific.

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello
    1. I'm categorizing my blog like this (Music, Videos, etc..) and tags like this (musician1, musician2, musician3,)..is this the right way to use categories and tags?
    I use tags on my blog as a way to add more accurate keywords to posts that fit into a particular category, for example take a category called entertainment, I could add posts in that cat that are in anyway related to the entertainment field, then by using tags I can apply less generic names to that post like music, jazz, usa or if it is a movie the article is about I could make tags like movie, comedy, ben stiller and so on. though this can be done in whatever way you desire it to be.
    2. I Have simpletag, but I'm not sure if it does what I want. I put in the tags of the musicians but don't know how to get htose tags to display under the post on the index.php and single.php.
    You will need to edit the index and single.php files in your theme and add:
    Code PHP:
    <b>Tags:</b> <?php the_tags('', ', ', ''); ?>
    where you want it to appear.
    3. Is there a way to get tags to show under a post? say the tag musician1 has the same tag in another post, I would want it to display 5 recent posts that has to do with musician1.
    If you mean other posts related to the current post based on teh same tag being applied to bith and you are using the simple tagging plug in you can add...
    Code PHP:
    <?php if (class_exists('SimpleTagging')) : ?>
     <h4>Related Posts:</h4>
      <ul>
       <?php STP_RelatedPosts() ?>
      </ul>
    <?php endif; ?>
    ...to your single.php file.
    4. Is there a tag cloud plugin? I know there are plugins for category clouds, but if my categories is an musician then I'll have a huge list since they will all fall in music or video..so looking for a tag cloud where it could be more specific.
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Template_Tags/wp_tag_cloud

Hope it helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are plugins. But you don't need them anymore as WordPress has included this functionality in the default setup. Some of the plugins may have more functionality than the default system though.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do post tags help in seo? I've seen blogs with really, really long column of tags that actually hurting their design... and I don't think that such tag column can be useful for visitors until it is represented in tag cloud

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Gulag View Post
    HelloI use tags on my blog as a way to add more accurate keywords to posts that fit into a particular category, for example take a category called entertainment, I could add posts in that cat that are in anyway related to the entertainment field, then by using tags I can apply less generic names to that post like music, jazz, usa or if it is a movie the article is about I could make tags like movie, comedy, ben stiller and so on. though this can be done in whatever way you desire it to be.You will need to edit the index and single.php files in your theme and add:
    Code PHP:
    <b>Tags:</b> <?php the_tags('', ', ', ''); ?>
    where you want it to appear.If you mean other posts related to the current post based on teh same tag being applied to bith and you are using the simple tagging plug in you can add...
    Code PHP:
    <?php if (class_exists('SimpleTagging')) : ?>
     <h4>Related Posts:</h4>
      <ul>
       <?php STP_RelatedPosts() ?>
      </ul>
    <?php endif; ?>
    ...to your single.php file.http://codex.wordpress.org/Template_Tags/wp_tag_cloud

Hope it helps.
    Very helpful thanks alot. Now, I'm trying to stop SimpleTagging from saying "none" if there are no related posts.. do you know how to do that? I've tried going into the simpletagging php file and couldnt find the right "none" to remove it so I'm not sure where it is

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello

In your WP dashboard under Tags > Options there is a section called "Related Posts", under that section there is a field for what it says if there are no related posts, maybe if you delete this it will add nothing, I am not sure.

If that does not work than if you are using this:
    Code PHP:
    <?php st_related_posts(&#8217;title=&nopoststext=’); ?>
    You can add in there(like above).
    Code PHP:
    title=&nopoststext=
    I got this from the comments at:http://www.herewithme.fr/wordpress-p...-related-posts He also says in the comments that the next version will have this option in the dashboard. Not sure when he left that comment vs. the next release.

Hope it helps.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thx alot solves pretty much everythin thanks agn every1