SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If You had $1500 for Advertising what would You do?

The free techniques such as SEO, postings to Craigslist... etc aren't working for me. Hell, I am even offering free gifts every month...and I have had zero traffic...

I have $1500 allocated to advertising. How would you seasoned webmasters use it to drive traffic to your website?

Please don't say Google Adwords. What's the point in purchasing keywords if your ad will appear on page 10?

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same thing I spend more than $1500 on every month. AdWords. My ads don't appear on page 10.

How can we seriously answer this without knowing what you're selling, if anything, and to whom?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would your adwords campaigns appear on page 10? PPC is an excellent way to drive targeted traffic, assuming you can effectively determine the ROI of every visitor, which is easy to do when you associate goals and values with specific actions a user takes on your site by embedding googles code onto specific pages associated with those goals.

For example, if I'm selling products and I know that my average order value is $100. I can associate that goal with PPC campaigns and embed the code for that goal on the order confirmation page. You can also do funnel tracking throughout the pages associated with a shopping cart to determine abandonment rates and other effective means of determining conversions.

Like Dan said, it's impossible to recommend any particular strategy, PPC, or other, without knowing what your goals are, your target audience, and a plethora of other factors.
    Online Marketing is fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adwords

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of website do you have? Maybe it's time to change niche

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, at least you found out that this overrated seo doesn't work, and, giving stuff away especially doesn't work.

These, along with signatures in your posts, newsletters and sign ups, never have, and never will work to the extent of success you want.

Well, some say it works, but getting a few hundred hits here and there is not the definition of "success." Especially if you aren't making any, or very little sales.

Hello?

If you want to be successful enough to be able to quit your job, or, at the very least, pay your bills, you are going to have to advertise. There is no other way around it.

Word of mouth comes in a close second.

How do you think all those big sites out there became big in the first place?

I'm going to assume that you have already tried a higher bid on Google ads, but the costs was too much, and now the lower bids isn't showing your ads enough.

Try it one more time. Get others to critique your ads. Would they click on them? Also, ask Google for advice. They have a helpdesk.

Also get critiques on your site. The ads will do you no good if your site is s h i t.

If you can get, say $10 a week, that is still $10. Add it with the other places you are advertising also, and it can add up to the point of paying your rent.

That's the real secret, if you can call it a "secret," to being successful with ads: Adding up all those sites and search engines you are advertising in that makes you only a few bucks here and there, and then adding them all up to equal one big sum.

Also try pay per click services, if you haven't already:

TextLinkAds, TrafficSwarm, Casalemedia.com, FastClick, Burstmedia, FC, TribalFusion, CJ, Azoogle, CPA Empire, GlobalInteractive, AdBrite, Adengage, RealMedia, Kontera and Avnads.

Then you have other search engines:

MSN
    Yahoo
    Ask (AskJeeves)
    AltaVista
    MetaSpider
    Vivisimo
    PlanetSearch
    SurfWax
    qbSearch
    ProFusion
    Proteus
    Go2Net
    MegaGo.com
    WebFile
    MyGO
    MegaCrawler
    Jayde
    Burf
    Search-O-Rama
    Cipinet
    InfoTiger
    G7K
    TowerSearch
    RealTech Miva
    Chitika
    VCM
    LookSmart
    NnSeek
    iWon.com
    Exactseek
    Jayde
    ScrubTheWeb
    Search.com
    MetaCrawler
    Dogpile
    Mamma
    C4
    Canada.com
    Ixquick
    Infogrid
    Query Server
    WebInfoSearch
    800go
    Debriefing
    Highway 61
    SearchAve
    Aesop
    GoTo Mixcat
    Abacho
    Igwanna
    SearchEngine
    Find
    Once Search-The-World
    Beamed
    SearchPixie
    GoClick
    Abcsearch
    Pageseeker
    Lycos Insite
    SearchFeed
    411Web
    GenieKnows
    Searchfeed
    Search123
    Overture
    A9com
    FreeEmail123
    Amfibi
    37.com
    OneSeek
    WebSquash

Then you have big content sites that have low advertising rates. Many Webmasters don't know any better, so they will charge you far less than what is expected. On top of that, they are afraid of losing potential advertisers, so they don't charge as much as they should be.

Do a keyword search for all the sites you would like to advertise on, and send them a proposal. You may be able to get a cheaper rate than what is stated on their advertising package if you ask for it. Ask, and see what happens.

Get a serious advertising campaign going, and add up all those few dollars here and there that will pay your bills, and then some.

But remember...get others to critique your ads and site first!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Free gifts has worked for me, don't understand why it didn't work for you...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try adding a sig file to your forum posts or sending messages to google groups or write a few articles about whatever it is you sell and submit them to article directories.

Still, with a $1500 advertising budget I would be using adwords. If you bid your keywords high enough your ads will be on the first page.