SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist bradical1379's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dreamweaver CS3: How to set up test/production servers?

I just upgraded to Creative Suite 3, which included Dreamweaver. I had been stuck in the past using Notepad and GoLive for all of my markup needs, so Dreamweaver seems like a godsend. One freature I loved about GoLive is that you can have a local folder to edit files from and then choose which server to upload them to for a site, either your testing server (usually localhost), and then the production server.

It seems as if you attempt to set up a Test Server in Dreamweaver and work from that, it will also upload the files to the Remote Server.

Is there a way to have this work without setting up two different sites for each web site (one for test, one for production)?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DW shouldn't be uploading files to the live server when you work with files on the testing server if you have everything set up correctly. At some point you do need to tell it the locations of both testing and production servers if you are going to be using both with DW. There's no getting around this. However, you don't need to give it any production server info if you're not going to use DW to upload your site to the live server. Adobe has tutorials for defining sites with DW CS3.