SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 39
  1. #1
    SitePoint Guru clink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    896
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Please review my entrepreneurial blog / design portfolio

    Hi guys,

    I'm really looking for honest reviews of my new blog / portfolio website:

    Push Standards

    It's my first personal blog, and will record my experiences and lessons in attempting to live off of what I do (I've made a good start so far this year). I will be posting at least once a day with quality content relating to online business and website design, both very important subjects to me.

    The site is powered by wordpress, and I'm very happy with the design, I just need some other opinions. It was really off the top of my head, with the header incorporating indistinguishable elements of my past website designs as a kind of collage wall of my work.

    Please let me know if everything works for you, and loads ok (both these things have been tested). One bug that I absolutely couldn't understand was that on my mac there is a difference in the bg color near the bottom of the pages - if anyone could help me out with this I'd be very grateful!

    Anyway, I look forward to your feedback!

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Pedantic Semantic blain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    528
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site looks really nice, hard to find anything really wrong with it, there are two little things though.
    1. The header graphics have developed slight artifacts, consider resampling them at a higher quality.
    2. Although it looks nice, the bit of sticky tape at the top right is not in context with the rest of the site.
    Other than that, well done.
    Technology is dominated by two types of people:
    those who understand what they do not manage,
    and those who manage what they do not understand.

  3. #3
    SitePoint Guru clink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    896
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the review blain I was considering the quality of the header and will try increasing it slightly today.

    Any more reviews greatly appreciated

  4. #4
    SitePoint Addict rabbitdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    So. Tenn.
    Posts
    363
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a few thoughts...

    I like the handwritten font up top for the rss and search, but it is the only place you use it. Why not try incorporating it more through out the site? I think it would help tighten things up and increase the cohesiveness of the layout.

    Trying to get advertising is great, but you don't have any yet. You may want to think of plugging in some google (or other such service) ads or even some ads for your other projects in the interim.

    You'll get more benefit from actually advertising something than just advertising that you can advertise. If ya get my meaning.

    Plus, nobody wants to go to play in the the totally empty park.
    Mr Vector
    High quality, royalty free, vector graphics
    for t-shirt artists and graphic/web designers.

  5. #5
    SitePoint Guru clink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    896
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the review. I'm planning on putting up some ads tomorrow to fill the space

  6. #6
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    -imho, there is no need for coffee cup or at least find some nicer picture
    -gradient should be bit more subtle

    besides that it's really good job.

  7. #7
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    96
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like it - solid design, a little funky but not too funky. I did notice on your Hire Me page (http://pushstandards.com/hire-me) that your drop down is limited to only five choices. I would have an "other" option for people that don't feel they fit in the five you're offering.

    My two cents.

    Keeton

  8. #8
    SitePoint Guru clink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    896
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the suggestions and compliments DevPulse/Keeton.

    More reviews greatly appreciated.

  9. #9
    Non-Member Musicbox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    india
    Posts
    1,331
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    site overall is nice

  10. #10
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great job on the site! Pages load fast (who is your host?). I agree with the other comments about either dropping the handwriting or using it in other places and also making the gradient more subtle.

    Where it says "Advertise", I would recommend changing that to "Sponsors" or "Advertisments". For the main navigation, I like the green color, but I am not so crazy about the rollover color, you may want to experiment with that some.

    Also, if you can figure out how to slightly round the corners of the images that pop up when you rollover, that would be cool and set the CSS so that the link text moves up with the image possibly.

    One other thing would be to set it so you can tell on the nav bar when you are on a particular link.

  11. #11
    SitePoint Addict
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    247
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the site. It fits a niche that a lot of us are trying to do. I'll probably read this blog to see your up and downs. Just promise that you won't turn into one of those self help gurus who shows up on TV at 3:30 am to guarantee your success. Anyway, your layout is great. You colors are good. Organization is good, but the ONE THING I WOULD CHANGE IS THE TITLE IN YOUR BROWSER.

    it simply says "pushstandards.com" , but maybe change it with a description tagged at the end.
    I live in Madison. Where in the W1RLD do you live?

  12. #12
    I Never Give Up roosevelt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    515
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its a great blog, love your contents too.

    Use of colors, and other elements you've used are fantastic.

    What I don't understand is on the top header you have random pictures like Baseball, Coffee Cup and some others... to me it doesn't give the entrepreneur feel.

  13. #13
    SitePoint Evangelist webchalkboard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    494
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

    My immediate first impression was that it looked a little dated, in that perhaps the graphics don't have the top quality look of some of the shiny websites out there, but literally a second after that my attention is drawn to the content. It looks like you've taken the time to write some decent articles and put in some nice images to go with them. The intro on the right column about yourself is nice.

    I'm going to look in a bit more detail now...

    You certainly hammer out the posts quicky, I barely find to time to write one lol. Good work!

    Yep from further investigation it looks like you've got lots of interesting content, I'd just work on the quality of the header graphic. Maybe just save it as a higher quality jpg?

    Cheers,
    Tom
    Websites for Sale - Sell websites in a purpose built marketplace
    Then do some Shopping

  14. #14
    SitePoint Guru clink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    896
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow, for some reason I wasn't alerted to all these great new reviews, let me just respond

  15. #15
    SitePoint Guru clink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    896
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpshook View Post
    Great job on the site! Pages load fast (who is your host?). I agree with the other comments about either dropping the handwriting or using it in other places and also making the gradient more subtle.

    Where it says "Advertise", I would recommend changing that to "Sponsors" or "Advertisments". For the main navigation, I like the green color, but I am not so crazy about the rollover color, you may want to experiment with that some.

    Also, if you can figure out how to slightly round the corners of the images that pop up when you rollover, that would be cool and set the CSS so that the link text moves up with the image possibly.

    One other thing would be to set it so you can tell on the nav bar when you are on a particular link.
    All good points, thanks for the excellent review, I will definitely be considering implementing all your suggestions.

    PS: The fast load times aren't my host, I just used this tool as recommended in my first post: http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/

  16. #16
    SitePoint Guru clink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    896
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brdnwi View Post
    I like the site. It fits a niche that a lot of us are trying to do. I'll probably read this blog to see your up and downs. Just promise that you won't turn into one of those self help gurus who shows up on TV at 3:30 am to guarantee your success. Anyway, your layout is great. You colors are good. Organization is good, but the ONE THING I WOULD CHANGE IS THE TITLE IN YOUR BROWSER.

    it simply says "pushstandards.com" , but maybe change it with a description tagged at the end.
    I promise heh. And thanks for reminding me to change the homepage title, I keep forgetting that!

  17. #17
    SitePoint Guru clink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    896
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
    Its a great blog, love your contents too.

    Use of colors, and other elements you've used are fantastic.

    What I don't understand is on the top header you have random pictures like Baseball, Coffee Cup and some others... to me it doesn't give the entrepreneur feel.
    Thanks for the kind words, I really appreciate it I know that the header may not be totally relevant but that is kind of the point. As a designer I like to think outside the box sometimes. Instead of just designing a generic header like most other websites I made an image montage of elements from all my previous designs/ideas (nothing obvious, just small ideas I'd had floating around for old concepts). It really represents the randomness of my thought and creativity - I don't mind that a lot of people may not understand it.

  18. #18
    SitePoint Guru clink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    896
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by webchalkboard View Post
    Hi,

    My immediate first impression was that it looked a little dated, in that perhaps the graphics don't have the top quality look of some of the shiny websites out there, but literally a second after that my attention is drawn to the content. It looks like you've taken the time to write some decent articles and put in some nice images to go with them. The intro on the right column about yourself is nice.

    I'm going to look in a bit more detail now...

    You certainly hammer out the posts quicky, I barely find to time to write one lol. Good work!

    Yep from further investigation it looks like you've got lots of interesting content, I'd just work on the quality of the header graphic. Maybe just save it as a higher quality jpg?

    Cheers,
    Tom
    Thanks for the great review Tom. I'm glad that you like the content, have you subscribed? As for the header image problem I've not had that problem myself. Could you please let me know what kind of system you're viewing it on?

    Many thanks

  19. #19
    SitePoint Evangelist bradical1379's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    443
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The gradients of blue in the background seems too much to me. It just seems very sudden and continues to draw my attention to that area, like something else is suppose to appear there. Maybe it's just me.

    Otherwise, great design.

  20. #20
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    47
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would try and give you some advise but your site looks great!

  21. #21
    SitePoint Zealot
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dublin, CA
    Posts
    116
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice looking site! Easy on the eyes and not overcrowded. What blog software did you integrate into your website? It looks good!

  22. #22
    SitePoint Guru clink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    896
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks both of you

    Bradical: Do you mean that the gradient from dark blue to the page bg color should be more subtle?

  23. #23
    SitePoint Zealot
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    158
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really love the design. Hard to come up with suggestions... so I'm thinking hard. Here are a few...

    Under the "Subscribe to my RSS" I'd also add Subscribe by Email (feedburner allows you to do this).

    After the first initial visit the, 'Like my articles? Please subscribe via RSS or Email!' should disapear imo.

    I'd also increase the h1 tag for the articles a bit.

    Again excellent job!

  24. #24
    SitePoint Guru clink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    896
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry that I missed this last review.


    Thanks for the kind words, and suggestions. I'll definitely think about adding the email subscribe option in the top right area.

    That's also interesting about the h1 tags, something I'll think about

    Any more reviews are appreciated now that the blog has progressed a bit.

  25. #25
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    http://www.digitalpurview.com/
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good points

    Great looking blog, elegant design, color scheme fits well and easy on eyes

    Bad points

    Hardly any,
    Same links like about, archive etc on top are again repeated at bottom, I think you can remove them from bottom you can just keep copyright symbol.
    But I think you have given it lot of thoughts. So just see how it fits.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •