SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wordpress "leave this for stats"?

In wordpress theme there is the following line in a template header:

HTML Code:
    <meta name="generator" content="WordPress <?php bloginfo('version'); ?>" /> <!-- leave this for stats -->
    What "Stats" is this referring too? According to Matt Cuts it is better for security reasons to remove this line http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/three-...-installation/

I just want to know if I will miss something if I remove it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You do want to remove that part, what he meant was:

<meta name=”generator” content=”WordPress <?php bloginfo(’version’); ?>” /> <!-– leave this for stats please -->

I’d just go ahead and delete that line or at least the bloginfo(’version’). If you’re running an older version of WordPress, anyone can view source to see what attacks might work against your blog.
    That if you leave the version out, people know what version of wordpress you're running, so if it's vulnerable to some type of attack, then it's easier for hackers to figure that out. The stats part is most likely website analytics, so you can get figures on page views, referrals, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is for bragging rights. I read on there site that *&#37; (I don't remember the %.... I believe 1%) of all sites on the web are ran off of WP.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by webfinity View Post
    That is for bragging rights. I read on there site that *% (I don't remember the %.... I believe 1%) of all sites on the web are ran off of WP.
    Thanks.

So that line is for their Stats, not any stats that are provided to me, and therefore I will not miss anything if I remove that line?