SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Handling Clients

Hi, I was wondering how other businesses or freelancers handle their clients, in terms of:

Note: This is for clients that don't know much about websites....
    Also: This is for businesses using third-party hosts for their clients
    1. Register the domain urself or get the client to do it and pass on the details to you?
    2. Do you get the client to pay the domain/host business or include the fee on top of the costs of ur service?
    3. At the end of the project: Do you pass on all the login details for hosting/domain to the client? or keep them?
    4. Do you pay on-going hosting fees for the client? Get them to pay the host? Or send them a bill each year etc?
    5. Do you provide maintenance services? and if so... ongoing payment? or payment only when they need something? or free?

If this doesn't apply to you or your business, could you say what you would do?

I'm a freelancer and was wondering how other people do these things...
    thanks

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bluedreamer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Register the domain urself or get the client to do it and pass on the details to you?

Whatever the client asks me to do. Sometimes they already have a domain, otherwise I register on their behalf. Note I always register themas the domain owner.

2. Do you get the client to pay the domain/host business or include the fee on top of the costs of ur service?

Yes

3. At the end of the project: Do you pass on all the login details for hosting/domain to the client? or keep them?

Normally the client receives all login details. If they lose their passwords I charge for retrieval!

4. Do you pay on-going hosting fees for the client? Get them to pay the host? Or send them a bill each year etc?

It depends, if I'm hosting their site they get a monthly/annual bill. If they use a 3rd party host they are responsible for renewals.

5. Do you provide maintenance services? and if so... ongoing payment? or payment only when they need something? or free?

That varies from client to client and what they ask for. All maintenance work is chargable whether on subscription or per job basis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same as bluedreamer for me too.
    1. If they don't have a domain I register on their behalf.
    2. Include everything in my bill + an admin fee.
    3. If they ask for it I do. Some don't want to bother with the details.
    4. Yes.
    5. If they request for it. Usually it's payment only when they need it. Some corporate clients prefer to pay a fixed retainer fee though.
    Winners Respond. Losers React.
    Singapore Web Designer

SitePoint Evangelist ramone_johnny's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFusion View Post
    [*]Register the domain urself or get the client to do it and pass on the details to you?
    The majority of my clients dont possess the knowledge to register a domain name themselves. I carry out this task for them upon request if necessary. Basically, I have them sign off on a credit card authorisation form of which they complete with their details, and fax back to me so that I can register the domain name and setup their accounts on their behalf. For me, this works well as I am not involved or accountable for any future transactions between the registrar, and the client can return to focusing on their business.

[*]Do you get the client to pay the domain/host business or include the fee on top of the costs of ur service?
    As above, although I do obviously charge for my time accordingly. This is usually setout with the initial proposal and quotation.

[*]At the end of the project: Do you pass on all the login details for hosting/domain to the client? or keep them?
    Of course. This information is critical to the client, as well as the developer. I document all required urls, passwords, logins and any other credentials within my technical specifications document, that are required to manage the website. Typically I provide the client with these details *after* final payment has been made for obvious reasons. I also keep hard copies myself. Being involved in a project with a client who has absolutely no reference material, especially user credentails and site documentation can be extremely frustrating.

[*]Do you pay on-going hosting fees for the client? Get them to pay the host? Or send them a bill each year etc?
    This is setout within my proposals. As already mentioned above. The client pays for this upon account creation. I find this works well for me. These transactions occur between the host and the client, with no involvement from myself.

[*]Do you provide maintenance services? and if so... ongoing payment? or payment only when they need something? or free?
    Once the client has signed off as having "accepted" the requested work, as outlined within the proposal, they then are charged an hourly rate for any maintenance type work.

Hope the information I have provided helps. If you're interested, all of these documents are available within the link in my signature.

RJ

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFusion View Post
    Hi, I was wondering how other businesses or freelancers handle their clients, in terms of:

Note: This is for clients that don't know much about websites....
    Also: This is for businesses using third-party hosts for their clients

If this doesn't apply to you or your business, could you say what you would do?

I'm a freelancer and was wondering how other people do these things...
    thanks
    1. Have a reseller account with a hosting company and register in their name and charge common registration cost (with my margin)

2. On top of my service. We operate as a one-stop shop.

3. We provide hosting through a dedicated server. I offer clients sub accounts if they are able to manage emails themselves, but also offer premium hosting including setting up new Outlook copies through remote control.

4. Pay ongoing hosting fees and let client set up automatic payment or pay in advance (discount applies)

5. Yes, we charge 15 minute blocks on casual maintenance and have a lower rate for people on a x hour per month plan. Also charge this out by the minute. We proactively fill up hours if necessary with advice.

HTH, Jochen
    http://www.automatem.co.nz
    Websites, On-line Software and everything Internet
    Follow on Twitter | Connect on LinkedIn | Read on Posterous