SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Weekly Photo Challenge - Art

It's been quite a week for me but I am finally back in my home. Please pardon my delay!

Edit:

Please be aware of copyright before posting. This can be anything you see as art!
    Last edited by ses5909; Feb 4, 2008 at 04:30.
    Sara

Avid Logophile silver trophy
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Welcome back, Sara.
    Isn't every photograph [really] a Work of Art?

I have photos taken while visiting Le Louvre and Musee D'Orsey several years ago. I need to dig in my archives.
    Don't be yourself. Be someone a little nicer. -Mignon McLaughlin, journalist and author (1913-1983)

Literally, the best app for readers.
    Make Your P@ssw0rd Secure
    Leveraging SubDomains

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkinT View Post
    Welcome back, Sara.
    Isn't every photograph [really] a Work of Art?

I have photos taken while visiting Le Louvre and Musee D'Orsey several years ago. I need to dig in my archives.
    It is a sticky and philosophical issue. The definition of art is at the base of the way you categorize photographs, if you consider them art or not.

But all photographs are protected by copyright law.
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy asp_funda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, we post photos of any artwork (given we have rights) or artistic photos of non-artwork material?
    Our lives teach us who we are.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Me - Photo Blog - Personal Blog - Dev Blog
    iG:Syntax Hiliter -- Colourize your code in WordPress!!

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have a photograph that I consider art, I've posted it before however so i'm reluctant to post it again, but I'm doing so because perhaps you can tell me whether you think it is 'art' I'm sure you'll have an opinion.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andy, I think that is art. Here is some homemade art - one of my favourites:

Last edited by jantheman; Feb 5, 2008 at 16:27. Reason: stuffed up link!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My View

Andy, I think not. It is a symbol, as a letter is. There is an artistic element in it, the way the curves flow, but we have artistic elements in many areas of our decorated life. Curtain fabric, web sites, instruments, shoes, furniture, bridges and on and on.

All of those are utilizing artistic means and principles, but they are not art. That does not mean that they are not worth of our attention and admiration.

I have often talked to artisans (producing a kraft) that felt slighted when their work was not considered art, but a kraft is not art, that is just a fact. It is never meant as a putdown or denigration, a kraft, a graphic, a wallpaper are just not art.

So many people have been taught that any squiggle or smear that somebody puts onto some paper or a wall is art, that a clump of material or rusted metal thrown in front of a building is art, without ever identifying what the definition of art really is. In my view there is a confluence of misconceptions, philosophies, laziness of thought, acceptance by mindless followers and on and on.

Art to me is simply this: The work must reflect the artist's sense of life, it must be stylized to essences eliminating unimportant embellishments for only embellishment's sake, it must be representational to a point, a broad abstraction of a thought must be concretized in order to place the piece of art into reality. The more profound the thought behind the piece of art and the better the execution of this piece of art (philosophical expression) from a technical point of view, the greater the success of the creation.

By no means does it mean that all people like this. The artist's sense of what is important and what is not must coincide with what the viewer values for him to like this piece of art.

You might say now that this pile of rusty clump was somebody's idea of what is important in life. That view is nihilistic and destructive. It is not a life affirming way to be as a human being. A human being should strife for the highest values, not for the lowest. Striving for a high value and expressing this value through artistic and abstracted means is art.

A reproduction of our surroundings by means of a photograph is not art. It comes very close and with manipulation it can cross over, but the average photo taken of some objects, the sky or anything else that is there and just reproduced, even with an artist's sensibilities, is not.
    Ulrike

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think art is different for every person. I definitely think graffiti is an art form. I also think paper cranes are art. I would like to see anything that you think is art.
    Sara

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ses5909 View Post
    I think art is different for every person. I definitely think graffiti is an art form. I also think paper cranes are art. I would like to see anything that you think is art.
    Sarah, I love graffiti very much. I love paper cranes as well. I find those inspired and imaginative, but for me they are not art, they are artistic though.

I would like to collect some sites and post them to tell you what I think art is for me. I do not have the time this week and probably not next either, but I will get to it, just to point to the things that are my kind of art.

The choices we make to classify something as art are truly deep within our value system, within our core of who we are. It is a very complex issue and difficult to define.

I probably will not post any pictures right now, I am very much swamped by my work
    Ulrike

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ...I am very much swamped by my work
    Which is a good thing!
    Sara

Avid Logophile silver trophy
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by ses5909 View Post
    I definitely think graffiti is an art form.
    I cannot (will not) argue about the artistic nature of Graffiti. However, it is destructive and illegal. I am very tired of seeing it in/around my area.
    Quote Originally Posted by armchaircritic
    I have a photograph that I consider art
    Andy, I think the way in which you photograph something (including graffiti) and represent it to the viewer, that becomes art.
    I agree with Datura that a few simple squiggles on a wall is not art. However, a piece of art can be created from the documentation (and, more importantly, the presentation) of that squiggle.
    Don't be yourself. Be someone a little nicer. -Mignon McLaughlin, journalist and author (1913-1983)

Literally, the best app for readers.
    Make Your P@ssw0rd Secure
    Leveraging SubDomains

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There are legal graffiti sources though; it definitely has its own style!
    Sara

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys have me paranoid about posting in here. But I will anyway. This is a picture of a Passion Flower that I played around w/ in Photoshop. Is it art? Or not?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Firstly, thanks to Datura for sharing with us her own experience of developing art as an artist, and the ground-up basis she now has for viewing art. I do not need to say just how valuable this is for us here on sitepoint.

I always thought of Art, as something individuals could ascribe to things. Principally, art was that which communicated to you something, perhaps even if only you could see it.

Why I thought the pic I took as art was that it firstly surprised me. It's not the typical place you'll see an 'Om' symbol graffitied onto a wall, but also that with the exception of so much graffiti, this communicated something else. I'm sure we all know what 'Om' communicates without going into religion here as we must not digress there. However, in this particular instance, it was the placement of this symbol, which made me consider it something of worth, and indeed beauty.

I agree that in most cases we shoudl dismiss squiggles and 'junk' placement as art. There's no communication there. Graffiti that is just names and scrawls is not art. Cows cut up and messed up beds of someone is also not art, in my view. Where is the beauty or communication in these things? There is none of course.

Well, that's why I chose my photograph as art.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armchaircritic View Post

I always thought of Art, as something individuals could ascribe to things. Principally, art was that which communicated to you something, perhaps even if only you could see it.
    I agree, and while I understand that the picture I posted means nothing but a drawing of letters & crude squiggles to most people it means a lot to me because my daughter drew it for me. I love that it is simple and came from her heart. It is not a great work of art by an artist, but it speaks to me and reminds me of her whenever I walk past it, so to me it is art.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Jan, I would agree also. Sometimes taking something special to you and displaying it in this way becomes art, but perhaps only to the individual.

...I think the way in which you photograph something (including graffiti) and represent it to the viewer, that becomes art.
    In regard to what Thom said, think you did this with framing your daughters drawing. It may appear crude, but it communicated something much more to you than if you had pinned it on the fridge for example. We can often value something so much that to us it becomes art no less. (I think)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi -
    Okay, the art instructor's gotta chime in.

The thing is, there are so many forms of art -
    and those of us who 'have an eye' tend to see it everywhere.
    Like for me, nature is just the ultimate. Consider many of
    Datura's lovely baking and cooking photos, too = double the art!

For the sake of this particular thread, I'd guess the theme is
    "Artworks as a Subject" with that being loosely interpreted
    by the photographer - Sara please correct me if I'm wrong.

With that in mind, here are a few I thought of tonight:
    Mural from Oakland, Ca.
    National Vietnam Veteran's Art Museum piece - about the homelife afterwards...
    Architecture, baby - the Chicago Public Library - H. Washington branch
    Street vendors / Arrangements of things / flowers - can't stay away from au naturale ;-)

And then there's the memory of a delicious creation [hot cocoa] on a cold day!

El
    F-Fox 2.0 :: WIN :: el design :: US

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just recently got this little paper mache guy from a local Mexican restaurant in our area. They are hand-made figures. We call him Pepe Parrot.