User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please review my fashion blog

Hi I have a site that is about handbags http://www.pursepage.com/

We review handbags and do some celebrity gossip, but I want to see if I can sell some fashion too, but I dont know how to sell.

I'd like some honest feedback on it. Is it too cluttered? To sparse? Too red? Too boring? Is it easy to find things or hard to navigate? Is that welcome blurb up top annoying or fine?

I did it all myself and can't tell how others reach to it, so some fresh eyes on it would be wonderful. thank you!

SitePoint Enthusiast invalidsyntax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes to red to cluttered and very overwhelming lots of ads try to tone it down a bit darker red etc etc
    Python Noob

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I landed on your home page, the first impression was how generic the site looks. The ad on the very top is horribly distracting and your own logo/name gets overpowered. Your name is pretty clear, but get rid of that silly reflection attempt, it does not enhance the design. There is no follow through with any graphic or photo to get you into the right mindset to know what this site is about.

Your red navigation bar is raw looking, hard to read links. White on black is hard to read, the grey on the red gets swallowed. There is nothing feminine or fashionable about the site, it could be a hard ware store or some such thing. It does also not relate in any way to the color scheme you have going in the forum, pink and grey, which is a bit harsh but would be better than the red.

Your reddish brown text is heavy handed and does not work with the red at all, not with the pink either. The blank space beside your links could be used for some glamour shots of some models with the purses or at least purses. I would not trust a critique coming from such a site as poorly designed as this one. We are talking about designer goods here, so you must have some reflection of understanding of design within the design of your site as well.

You need to come up with some concept that reflects femininity, design, luxury, desirability.
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks very much for the feedack. Link color is something I've struggled with forever.
    What color do you guys recommend for the links?

Im going to stay with the red white and black as the main colors. I used to have pink but got tired of it and it looks too soft.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The content and footer don't extend as far as the header and it's somewhat odd.

Try changing the links to FF0000 or a red similar to the google ads.

Too many ads, not enough content.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too many ads, not enough content.
    Agreed. The visitors get in your website for the content, not to find ads to click on When I visit a website with lots of ads I usually leave it because I think it will be hard to find what I want to find, for example.

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mfashion View Post
    Thanks very much for the feedack. Link color is something I've struggled with forever.
    What color do you guys recommend for the links?

Im going to stay with the red white and black as the main colors. I used to have pink but got tired of it and it looks too soft.
    As I said above, the red clashes with the forum colors, they should relate in a pleasant way. They do not have to be the same, but red and pink just does not do it.

The color you choose is in the air right now, because the design of the site is also. The color will depend on what else you will do to enhance the appeal of this site.
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The site seems a bit messy and overwhelmed with a great deal of links and ads; and its a bit annoying. I think you overdid with them.
    Anyway, I like the articles in your blog. But I'm in a muddle and cannot comprehend what else is available at your site. Instead of putting the information about your blog under the search form, it would be better to create the About us page to make the site more organized and well presented.

Good luck!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonderful name!

As a man I had to ask myself if you were seriously reviewing handbags!

Home page is way way way too big!! I'm on a data card just now and it took a long time to download. You have to make your pages lightning quick.

The look and feel of the site is good.

All in all, very good. Good luck with it!
    Last edited by Charles Sweeney; Feb 12, 2008 at 14:24. Reason: Typos
    Charles Sweeney
    FormToEmail.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your site has too much going on in the way of ads. You have two flat earth and shopzilla ads which looks a little ridiculous. If I were you I would take the banner ad off the top without a doubt. Also try using adwords or something else that's a little less flashy. You want people to see the content first and ads second.

Your links are really plain. You should make graphic buttons for all of them. Especially your forum and main content pages. Your forum and all the other colors on your site should be the same in my opinion.

All together you site has endless potential judging how girls love bag/purses. Tighten some things up and make it look fresh and clean and I think you'll do better.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your site has too much going on in the way of ads. You have two flat earth and shopzilla ads which looks a little ridiculous. If I were you I would take the banner ad off the top without a doubt. Also try using adwords or something else that's a little less flashy. You want people to see the content first and ads second.

Your links pretty really plain. You should make graphic buttons for all of them. Especially your forum and main content pages. Your forum and all the other colors on your site should be the same in my opinion.

All together you site has endless potential judging how girls love bag/purses. Tighten some things up and make it look fresh and clean and I think you'll do better.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I first hit the site I first think that I notice is the large banner ad at the top I think I would remove it.

Your header and footer extend all the way across the page but the content is in the center a kind of squeezed makes it harder to read.

It think this might have do with all the ads you have running.

On navigation you really have to look to find what page you want to go to. I didn't see any adverting like ether.

Is your content original or scraped from some other sites?

I would also try to feature unique purses that the average woman can purchase.

Maybe more of a review of the purse and not as much gossip on the celebrity

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow Great Site...but curious

This site has a very good layout and gui. I curious about how much traffic your getting and what steps have you taken to improve rankings.

Great Niche site

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get rid of the top and right hand link unit ads, They just look out of place and ugly.