SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

lost, If you find me please return me to St.Louis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

too many connection outta no where (just started)

I keep getting a too many connection to the database error on my site all the sudden out of nowhere.

The site I'm running doens't get that many visitors, it's more of an information depot for our team.

It just started yesterday & I don't quite understand why it just started happening.

This even happens if I'm the only one in the forum! & the forum is a vbulletin forum, & I know it can handle more than 1 person on it.

heres my info.php file.

Any ideas why this is happening?
    You smell something?

Whistler BC originally from Guelph Ontario
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First thing I noticed was an old version of PHP. You might wanna try upgrading just to see if that alone might fix it.
    Maelstrom Personal - Apparition Visions
    Development - PhP || Mysql || Zend || Devshed
    Unix - FreeBSD || FreeBsdForums || Man Pages
    They made me a sitepoint Mentor - Feel free to PM me or Email me and I will see if I can help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it's on my friends account. I talked to the hosting company & they feel their customers want old & outdated software rather than the host going down for an hour or two for upgrading.
    You smell something?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by whofarted
    Well, it's on my friends account. I talked to the hosting company & they feel their customers want old & outdated software rather than the host going down for an hour or two for upgrading.
    Did you happen to show them the rather large security problem with older versions of php. I feel it would be prudent for any public web server to be running the most recent version of php.

I couldn't find the site I was looking for but here is a quote from Apache

Major flaws have been found in the popular PHP scripting language commonly used with Apache web servers. These flaws have been found in the way PHP handles multipart/form-data POST requests. Each of these flaws could allow an attacker to execute arbitrary code on the remote system. All versions of PHP from 3.10 to 3.18 as well as 4.0.1 to 4.0.6 are vulnerable.
    If you do a search in these forums you should find more info. Even if this isn't the problem they should still upgrade. Unless they are running a windows server.
    They made me a sitepoint Mentor - Feel free to PM me or Email me and I will see if I can help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Maelstrom
    If you do a search in these forums you should find more info. Even if this isn't the problem they should still upgrade. Unless they are running a windows server.
    The 4.1.2 Windows binaries came out a day or so ago. Infact, I'm running 4.1.2 right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the info, maybe by pointing that out it'll light a fire under their arses to get them to update.

But with the to many connects thing...it still doesn't answer why that would just start happening outta the blue. I mean 1 person in a VB forum would not be able to produce this I wouldn't think.
    You smell something?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tell us the hosting company - then we can make sure others avoid it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may have to show us some code...it could be an error there...

I did find something I don't understand...sorry I am not working with mysql as much...

mysql
    MySQL Support enabled
    Active Persistent Links 2
    Active Links 2
    Client API version 3.23.10-alpha
    MYSQL_INCLUDE
    MYSQL_LFLAGS
    MYSQL_LIBS

On mine i have Active persistent links to 0...hopefully someone else can clarify...I also have active links to 0...mine seems to run fine...hopefully a mysql expert can help out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The hosting company is www.schmolie.com I know there are no errors in the code & it can handle the connections, as I said, we run vbulletin for a forum & I know it can handle more than 1 person at a time.

As far as MySQL unless i'm mistaken, it says in my info.php file I have "unlimited" connections.

Ah well, I haven't seen it happen again in a while now & think maybe it was a problem with the host & they fixed it. I dunno.
    You smell something?