Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny how the Microsoft haters are against this

they are the ones always singing that Microsoft is a monopoly

not on the web they are not, Google on the web is king! even if Microsoft aquire Yahoo they still have 20% of the search market compared to Google's 77%

anyways good article here

http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/02/04...as-some-think/

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not like the idea. I think it will only hurt yahoo in the end.

SitePoint Wizard drhowarddrfine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ionix5891 View Post
    Funny how the Microsoft haters are against this

they are the ones always singing that Microsoft is a monopoly

not on the web they are not, Google on the web is king! even if Microsoft aquire Yahoo they still have 20% of the search market compared to Google's 77%
    The difference is you don't need Google to run your computer, get on the internet, or do search. If Google disappeared today, you can do most/all of the things you now do on the internet.

But if Microsoft disappeared today, most of you could not run the software you use to do your work and communicate with others. Your Office programs won't work in other document editors, other software programs and servers could not communicate with each other. You would have to buy or learn all new software and learn new methods. You cannot do what you do if Microsoft disappeared right now.

Yes there are other alternatives but not something you could setup and use right this second.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol

counts 13 linux servers a windows workstation and laptop

if Microsoft were to be gone tomorrow we would get alone fine with linux or osx quite fine (tho it would be a considerable steeper learning curve for newbs)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drhowarddrfine View Post
    The difference is you don't need Google to run your computer, get on the internet, or do search. If Google disappeared today, you can do most/all of the things you now do on the internet.

But if Microsoft disappeared today, most of you could not run the software you use to do your work and communicate with others. Your Office programs won't work in other document editors, other software programs and servers could not communicate with each other. You would have to buy or learn all new software and learn new methods. You cannot do what you do if Microsoft disappeared right now.

Yes there are other alternatives but not something you could setup and use right this second.
    If you had posted that on a forum for business people, that might be true. That's not true here.

Zend Studio? hmm yep works on other platforms

wsftp? could take it or leave it how about gftp (Linux or OS X with X)

Excel? Open office does just fine with the sheets that I use. I usually work with CSV anyway.

Word? Same

Firefox? Yep works on other platforms

Apache? same

PHP? same

IE? yeah but you know why we have to test in that. I don't even have to touch my install of Opera to know that something I do will work in it.

If I was still doing ASP or was coding .NET, yeah I'd be screwed. The point is not everyone would have a problem if MS disappeared tomorrow (at least in terms of work). In fact some of us could retire on the revenue from a few months of support fees, if by some miracle that happened.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ionix5891, you're not the average computer user though.

What about Mr. Joe Bob Smith and Mrs. Jane P. Housewife? Yeah, they "know how" to use a computer, but for them that involves pushing the power button, logging into Windows and "pressing that blue E" to get online. Aside from using their Microsoft Office applications, that's pretty much the extent of their knowledge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes to what Dan is saying.

@Hammer,
    90% of the desktops are using Windows and probably 90% of those are not like you or me.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Microsoft+Yahoo I wish it would be great

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz View Post
    I was just reading USA Today and it mentioned something about AOL possibly making a nice fit inside Google's portfolio if this merger were to go through and meet approval with American and European regulators.

Thoughts?
    No man not AOL. They are the worst ISP in the Planet, and provides the worst customer support. Just Google it you will get the answer.

Google surely is smart enough and they might join force with comcast instead .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Comcast's almost as bad as AOL.

SitePoint Zealot phppoddotcom77's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be the takeover of the century.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, this is a really stupid thing to say, but if Yahoo get paid this much, this is going to make some people really really really rich! Who are they?
    work: revs | ecru
    reviews: films | mp3s
    projects: Glastonbury Tor | London IT support

Theoretical Physics Student bronze trophy Jake Arkinstall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/Dispatch/080201MicrosoftOfferForYahoo.aspx
    A big payoff for Yahoo's founders
    If a deal at $31 a share were to go through, Yahoo's founders -- Yang and David Filo -- would realize some $1.6 billion and $2.4 billion before taxes, respectively, The Wall Street Journal said. Those estimates don't include proceeds from exercising options and from shares controlled indirectly.

In 2000, before the dot-com bust, The Journal said, Forbes magazine estimated Filo's net worth at $6.5 billion and Yang's at $6.4 billion.

Yang and Filo started Yahoo in 1994 as graduate students at Stanford University and incorporated the company in 1995.
    I don't think they'll be THAT affected

I for one want to see this go through - with a more direct competitor, google's team will come up with some kickass upgrade. That's what I'm looking for
    Jake Arkinstall
    "Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel;
    Sometimes its enough to make that wheel more rounded"-Molona

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys, how do you think what changes will happen if Microsoft buys Yahoo???

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It really is a battle of the internet. Google vs Microsoft. My bets are on Google. Microsoft have kept their eye off the ball for too long now. They made the internet what it was 5 years ago.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Microsoft was late in the browser war but it came from behind and defeat Netscape, it will again pose an interesting challenge to google in search marketing.
    Interesting Soccer Analysis on SoccerNet Live

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not at the rate it's going it won't.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fighting Google on the Search Engine market is like fighting Microsoft on the Desktop market.

Microsoft is so much going to loose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lose Is Spelled L-o-s-e.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

Doc, either it was a typo or Dellius was putting emphasis on "lose". My guess is the latter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I would pull out the heavy punches if I was going to show Google that we have the power to hurt them.

Example.
    Our current business just recently moved into a competitors area. Following day our biggest competitor pulled out the "Special Sale", selling their service for $1.00 per session. Knowing they would take a loss over the period of time, it was a bold move to gain customers.
    Of course with their service being only $1.00, most people decided to switch, despite us having a high quality service.

The whole goal of the "Sale" was to remove enough of our clients that we would not be able to afford, or make enough money to want to be in that area.

Point being, is that no matter who you are or how big you are there are ways to show your competition that you mean business.

With the proper knowledge Microsoft could always prevent their browsers from opening any google owned site. It may sound illegal but with so many new computers being built, proper notification on the product can get by most loop holes. (Now I understand this in general will not work, it is just an example of how extreme companies go.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And how many of your "lost" clients will enquire about your business if your competitor screws up? You're in a potentially GREAT position right now. Don't blow it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wasahobo View Post
    Personally I would pull out the heavy punches if I was going to show Google that we have the power to hurt them.
    We?
    With the proper knowledge Microsoft could always prevent their browsers from opening any google owned site.
    I can see that going over like a lead balloon. Not only is IE a lousy browser, but it restricts what you can look at.

You make it sound like we would want Google to suffer. What upside would there be to that? Why would we want to do that? What purpose would it serve?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been interesting to watch MSFT & YHOO shares trading ever since Microsoft announced the offer.