SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz View Post
    Competition from who? The barrier to entry in this industry is so high that most companies that try actually downright /FAIL/. Ask.com spent how much money last year and they didn't even make so much as a dent as far as market share is concerned.
    Yahoo was more dominant when google started growing and Hotmail was around along time before Gmail, The fact is Google has never been the first into any arena, they have always looked at where the market is and gotten there on the back of innovation. That is why they are so strong, while Yahoo and MS and the rest of the players buy their user base Google has built theirs. It can be done, it just is not easy.

Its funny how most people think this deal has to do with search! It has nothing to do with why microsoft wants yahoo, it is simply the traffic they want so they can increase their advertising base. look at where alll microsofts money has been spent recently.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found this article regarding the yahoo deal regarding the possibility for google buying out facebook for $30 billion. Interesting.
    cetin hakimoglu

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder what will happen to Yahoo if they buy it, what kind of changes they will make

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    itec...thats exactly one thing i was trying to clarify..screw the whole search engine idea.

but yeha anywho. all these big companies are buying each other out

but from what i heard the one thing that they are realy scared of is what google is becoming in the few years to come.

I've heard that google is plainning on crushing microsoft on its office package. meaning that sooner or later you would see google exel software for example.and from the clientelle that google has and mind you google already has its own world built in gmail from analytics to sharedocs. --and worse of all lately yahoo has only been trying to keep up. so its funny too see that scares gates.

(ps.the google plan is read somewhere.and i cant confirm it)
    "Luck is the residue of good design"
    -Some random dude!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Yahoo.com should be sold!
    Yahoo! Guys can start a new website and promote it heavily .
    $42 Billion is not less

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattymcg View Post
    Big news to close the week that Microsoft has initiated a $42 billion takeover bid for Yahoo!.

Interesting times. Watch out Google!
    Analists have been predicting this for a while now. I think it will only help Google and lead to the death of Yahoo! because nobody really likes Microsoft.
    Logo Design & Identity Branding Consultant.

SitePoint Wizard drhowarddrfine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by programPHP View Post
    I found this article regarding the yahoo deal regarding the possibility for google buying out facebook for $30 billion. Interesting.
    I'm not sure that could happen now that Microsoft just bought a big chunk of Facebook.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, saw that on Reuters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Technology experts are saying by the time these two companies merger their services together, Google will out reach them both. I hope it won't be a fruitless deal.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi

I dont think ms & yahoo can beat google togather.

they need to add new features else they cant beat google.

current new ajax version of yahoo mail is slow & resource hungry as compared to gmail.

user need fast & smooth browsing not bulky as ms or yahoo.

thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yahoo itself is slow and buggy. Oh dear God, if I only had a chance to rebuild their site's front-end from scratch...

I could retire after cleaning that landfill up.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maybe M$ will take care of Yahoo!'s crappy web hosting that I'm stuck with.. haha.

Spent all yesterday coding to find out Yahoo servers don't let you upload .htaccess files. There's no hack either. This is only the most recent let down =(

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are so concerned about Google out-doing them by leaps and bounds. The reason it does is because Google does search and online advertising so much better than them. I'm sure the vast majority of us here primarily use Google, and then we recommend Google to those we know because we know it works so much better.

While Google does have a lot of room for improvement, they are still way beyond Yahoo and Microsoft, even if they do merge.

I'm just worried about them merging because Microsoft screws up and makes everything difficult, so I'm not looking forward to having to figure out the mess they will undoubtedly make.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Devious View Post
    Analists have been predicting this for a while now. I think it will only help Google and lead to the death of Yahoo! because nobody really likes Microsoft.
    People don't have to like M$, as their OS is bundled with almost every computer sold in the past three decades. Don't forget M$ has a monopoly, if you like it or not.
    And no, it won't help Google at all, but if the deal goes through, we can expect some neat improvements to Google in the near future.
    FOR SALE: 1 set of morals, never used, will sell cheap

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by samanime View Post
    They are so concerned about Google out-doing them by leaps and bounds. The reason it does is because Google does search and online advertising so much better than them. I'm sure the vast majority of us here primarily use Google, and then we recommend Google to those we know because we know it works so much better.

While Google does have a lot of room for improvement, they are still way beyond Yahoo and Microsoft, even if they do merge.

I'm just worried about them merging because Microsoft screws up and makes everything difficult, so I'm not looking forward to having to figure out the mess they will undoubtedly make.
    Oh mark my words, if this deal goes through, certainly anything to do with Yahoo's web service API's or YUI library will either be thrown out in favor of what they already have, or will become a steaming pile of platform specific crap once they get their hands on it.

It's a shame, I've used Yahoo maps for several clients, and all their other dev stuff was really getting good. Yahoo has shown more inovation with YUI than Microsoft has done since they started their involvement with the internet. All wasted because they likely won't know the value in it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face

I don't know if you guys know this or not. But Google too wants Yahoo, and they proposed a partnership for a healthy amount. But I think Yahoo will go with Microsoft because the grudge started when Yahoo refused to use Google's search results and came up with their own .

As for Microsoft and Yahoo goes, they surely can't wipe google right away unless they get the team behind google's algorithm and other cool products google has introduced.

I don't care who wins as long as my search is still relevant and I make money from the investments I make in pay-per-click search engines .

I want Yahoo and Microsoft to dominate man, google is getting boring (change the layout for goodness sake)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
    I don't know if you guys know this or not. But Google too wants Yahoo, and they proposed a partnership for a healthy amount. But I think Yahoo will go with Microsoft because the grudge started when Yahoo refused to use Google's search results and came up with their own .

As for Microsoft and Yahoo goes, they surely can't wipe google right away unless they get the team behind google's algorithm and other cool products google has introduced.

I don't care who wins as long as my search is still relevant and I make money from the investments I make in pay-per-click search engines .

I want Yahoo and Microsoft to dominate man, google is getting boring (change the layout for goodness sake)
    The article I read stated that privately, board members are saying that a Google deal is considered on of their weapons against takeover if they decide not to take the deal.

Theoretical Physics Student bronze trophy Jake Arkinstall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Yahoo should go with the Microsoft deal, mainly for their own benefit. Yahoo is too much like Google to join forces, it would end up with google taking over completely - or a complete fusion: Yahoogle!
    Jake Arkinstall
    "Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel;
    Sometimes its enough to make that wheel more rounded"-Molona

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Fun fact: if MS buys Yahoo, that makes them the #1 data supplier for the iPhone (stocks and weather apps get data from yahoo)

Whatever happens it's going to be a crazy few months.

Pragmatic Programmer halfasleeps's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How can MS even afford that? Isnt thwew networth only like 60 billion, that would be roughly 70%
    Altoona Design
    Freelance Flex developer for hire.
    ActionScript Programmer with 8 Years Experience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was tickled pink by Googles reaction; I quote Dave Drummond senior vice president. "Could Microsoft now attempt to exert the same sort of inappropriate and illegal influence over the Internet that it did with the PC? While the Internet rewards competitive innovation, Microsoft has frequently sought to establish proprietary monopolies—and then leverage its dominance into new, adjacent markets," . It seems an incredibly inflammatory remark and begs the question; How? You can bet your sweet life we are going to hear a load of crackpot conspiracy theories from the MS Bashers. But for the life of me I cannot see how this is going to make one iota of difference except make for a more competitive environment; which has got to be good surely?
    There are three kinds of men:
    The ones that learn by reading.
    The few who learn by observation.
    The rest of us have to pee on the electric fence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halfasleeps View Post
    How can MS even afford that? Isnt thwew networth only like 60 billion, that would be roughly 70%
    Microsoft may borrow the money

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just reading USA Today and it mentioned something about AOL possibly making a nice fit inside Google's portfolio if this merger were to go through and meet approval with American and European regulators.

Thoughts?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halfasleeps View Post
    Most people can't afford half-million dollar homes either but they still want to buy them. It's called debt.