Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[LOGO] Critques requested

Hello,

I'm not really a designer, but I'm trying to come up with a good logo since I'm working on getting my branding all hammered out.

http://www.arwebdesign.net/demos/logos.png

Basically, there are a couple of divisions (the first one isn't a division, it's my name) and I want to have them all keep the same style, which is why there are 3 different sets of sub-words. There are also two that show how it looks smaller, and two that show it in gray-scale, just for testing.

Thanks.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've made some changes since I first requested to have this logo critiqued:
    http://www.arwebdesign.net/demos/logos2.png

The bottom one is my latest version, and the one below that is the same logo in b&w.

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is very difficult to read, this logo/name of yours, it is also very weak and undecided looking.

You committed the ultimate design sin, you took a font that was complex and laid a complex design behind it. There is one good rule to remember in designing: complex on simple, simple on complex. Just that knowing could have saved you from this major problem you have created.

I do not know where to begin to correct it, all elements need redoing. The font (I do not know that one, looks hand made actually) is very disturbing with that thorny look. The spacing of the letters is totally unbalanced. Your name dangling under the "logo" is so thin and flimsy, I do not see a person with confidence there.

I went to your site and saw the header. The artwork is very uneven also, and now I imagine this "logo' combined with it, it will be chaos. The service you offer does sound very professional, just the artwork does not live up to what you have to offer.

I would start with a different design. I would not try to rescue this one, you need a fresh start IMO. I know that this critique sounds harsh, but sometimes that is needed for a person to get better at this job. I see a lot of potential, it just is not there yet
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. And yeah, I pretty much agree. I'm looking for a bolder font that I can start work with, but one that has a (mild) kind of asain look to it.

I'm also yet to be satisfied with the little graphic. I'm trying to come up with something that has to do with "interactive multimedia", but I'm having issues coming up with a little icon I like.

SitePoint Enthusiast invalidsyntax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yea hard to read try to keep it simpler when marketing a logo it needs to be easy on the eyes and impressive at first sight keep tryin try inscape its awesome
    Python Noob

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by samanime View Post
    Thanks. And yeah, I pretty much agree. I'm looking for a bolder font that I can start work with, but one that has a (mild) kind of asain look to it.

I'm also yet to be satisfied with the little graphic. I'm trying to come up with something that has to do with "interactive multimedia", but I'm having issues coming up with a little icon I like.
    You know, when you choose a bolder font, you might just take a font that is not asian and adapt it to your needs. You can change the first letters (A and R to a bamboo sort of look, or just create an asian inspired pattern on those letters.

Interactive I would think first thing off my head a shape that is whole, divided into two different elements through color, interlocking but separate. The classic example yin and yang of course. But do not take that famous symbol as a jumping board, you get trapped into something that is too similar, I just mentioned it to give a clearer understanding.
    Ulrike

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tips. I'll play around with some more ideas and post them up again.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is another attempt. I used a font called Daidoh Remix Round as the base. I increase the size of the capital letters and then decreased their bridge (?, the cross in the A and R). I then added two "slashes" (like from a sword) into the letters. Then, for the subtitle I tried a font called Samurai. It's a bit hard to read when made a bit bold, and a bit too thin when not. Then I tried another font called DJ Courageous, which was too short, so I made it taller.

http://www.arwebdesign.net/demos/logos3.png

Let me know what you think... don't worry about being nice, it's a waste of your time. =p

Also, note, the exact colors aren't finalized yet, but they will be a shade of blue, and then it's exact (or near exact) complement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your new attempt is better, but it does not convey a brand or feeling to me at all. The logo does not relate to your target audience enough. You'll get there...

Kieran

Into another Dimension liam_uk7's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you're trying too hard to make it look different by making it look too complicated. My advice would be to take a look at some logo's for example: http://www.logodesignlove.com/category/logo-designs - They have a lasting impact because of how simple they are, but they each look very unique and momorable.

So I'd say you'd have better luck taking your foot off the gas, choosing some nice colours, some nice fonts, and keep things simple.

I think you're heading in the right direction though, you clearly are capable of making designs, its just about refining the look now. Good luck!
    Function - Great Design Meets Great Functionality

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I definitely think there is a bit too much happening in your logo. Might suggest style the capitalizes A and R a bit different then the rest. I would also suggest an easier to read font.

Personally the strike through coloring doesn't do it for me, but I do like the idea of the dot on the i being different. Could be a great location to add an eye catcher.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The attempt is all around too brutal (for the lack of a better word). It is very strong but in a way very much as in earth moving equipment. Somehow it has no connection to what you are trying to offer.

I thought about this for a while. I think the premise you have is wrong. You fell in love with this story, this character, but it has nothing to do with what you are trying to sell. You are trying to combine two worlds that do not belong together. I think that is the root of the problem.
    Ulrike

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As many others have said, it's not legible enough and IMHO a bit too busy. Keep working at it

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to say but i dont like it. It is not easy for the eye to read and the color is not inviting. If i want to hire a designer i like it to be vibrant yet simple.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That font is tricky. No matter how you kern the letters, I doubt that you could ever get it to look just right.

However I do get the look you are going for. Maybe it just needs a slightly less "busy" type treatment.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with everyone else in that it's difficult to read and even the latest attempt has too much going on.

I would suggest something bold with bright colors that will be memorable to the client or whoever you're targeting it to.

Fonts work sometimes if you have the right product or right font, but a lot of the times the more fancy ones just create more problems than solutions. At this point for you I think a simple bold font (century gothic, arial, think along these lines) with the correct colors would be better than the attempts that seem to be getting busier and busier, unless you arrive at the point where you just hire someone to do this process for you and they will develop something that is eye-catching in todays market.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really think your problem is the font....the colours are good...the spacing is good but the font makes it look busy. Try a more uniform font

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i don't really like any of the logos since graphical designing isn't your field it would be worth paying for someone to design you a logo.
    my portfolio.. www.timothyblake.com

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would try to keep it simple. Logos should be clear and easy to read. The font is somewhat messy looking and th extra graphic behind it makes it even less clear. The color are ok I would just experiment with more fonts.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not really sure about the style, it looks a bit unprofessional to me, sorry. The colours are a bit dull too

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    needs improvement
    Last edited by web67; Apr 15, 2008 at 19:47.
    Keep Up to date about everthing Website Flipping
    Find out how to same thousands on your Mortgage Broker fees.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as per the others the font just does not work..its weak and confusing the second example moreso confusing..what effect are you looking for?..its like asian/horror mix?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To tell you the truth out of all of those, I like the middle one out of the first set you showed the best.

I say try playing around with font more. All of your font is really boring. If you use clean, simple fonts, and some affects such as gradients and drop shadows (discreetly) it will probably look a lot better.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It feels like too much is going on in the logos. Stay clean, with a professional & clean font. It usually ends up best.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    too hard to read (2nd design) and when i looked at it without reading your post i got a feeling you selling some martial arts equipment, like swords etc. the line is way to contasting and takes too much attention, more in fact than the text itself.