SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Share Experiences Software

I am working with a non-profit group that would like to add some interactivity to their site. Specifically they want to be able to have people post pictures and experiences with a national park here and then have a moderator approve posts before they are posted. We want anyone to be able to post, but I don't need a whole forum. The site is currently static. Does anyone know of available software that would work for this, or do I need to custom program a solution?

Thanks for your help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could install a gallery script (e.g. http://coppermine-gallery.net/). Your hosting account should probably have come with some available gallery scripts.

If you need tighter integration with the main site though, it would be better to get a custom solution done.
    Winners Respond. Losers React.
    Singapore Web Designer

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bluedreamer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could acieve just the same with a forum

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, most photo gallery software will do this just fine. There are a number of both free and premium products that come to mind
    Coppermine
    Gallery
    Photopost
    phpLD Photo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A little late to this thread, but my suggestion is to take a look at some of the forum scripts available. A forum can be as big or as little as you want it to be. You don't have to have a bunch of categories and several forums and subforums in each one. Many organizations run a forum script with just one or two categories and a few forums with great success.

Gallery scripts can be limited and even a daunting experience for the contributor. Most forum scripts will give you an easy to use member upload feature for posting images and other files of interest. Tracking and organizing discussion around a specific topic and uploaded images is much easier with a forum script.

I am familiar with most of the gallery options dvduval mentioned, but again, they may be off-putting to your users. I am not familiar with the phpLD Photo script, but my bad experience with their forum and the support they offer non-paid members would keep me from recommending them.

Another, although far more involved option would be to set up a blogging platform for your users. WordPress MU was specifically designed for this, but there are other options too.

Do let us know what you might have decided on.

Jim

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eJM View Post
    I am familiar with most of the gallery options dvduval mentioned, but again, they may be off-putting to your users. I am not familiar with the phpLD Photo script, but my bad experience with their forum and the support they offer non-paid members would keep me from recommending them.
    Yes, and hopefully I gave you a satisfactory reply earlier about what happened, and did everything you asked and more. You should have received 3 emails already from me, after having received responses from 3 moderators of our forum as well. We were trying to communicate with you.

(one of our moderators moved his post when they didn't understand his intentions, and he thought it was deleted. Unfortunately, I didn't see what happened until a few hours after the fact. The post is in our moderators forum, not deleted, because the moderators wanted to make sure he received the correct response)

I think getting responses from 3 moderators, a phone call between the staff to discuss what happened after the post was moved to the moderator's forum, and 3 emails from the admin is a pretty good response, all in 24 hours.

I think eJM is right that a forum would probably be a good method, but it might be worth doing some testing with your users to see what they like best. I always find talking with actual users can be the best advice when that is possible.