SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Site Hacked, Googles Changed

Sometime two weeks ago, I noticed my blog was hacked. Prior to that, I couldn't figure out why my google ads were completely about cheap airline fares.

Later, I discovered 'text and links' to air fare sites in my footer.

All offending text and links have been removed from my footer, and I have looked elsewhere on the blog pages for anything like that.

Everything looks clean now, but some near two weeks later, the blog still often shows nothing but air fare ads.

I wrote to google adsense to see if there was something I should do or if it would take care of it self. That was a while ago with no answer.

Any thoughts here?

Thanks
    Barb
    "Xerraire"
    My Personal Page: http://www.xerraire.com
    My Personal Blog: Barb's Blog

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I clicked on your blog, and saw no air fare ads. Google looks at the content of the site to determine what ads to show - so it's possible something in your content was making them show those ads.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you search all your html pages for hidden text? Make sure to look for stuff being called by SSI (server side includes). Was your blogged hacked via your web server or your actual blog software?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When i first read your title "Site Hacked, Googles Changed" i thought your google adsense code have been changed to someone else's. Does it ever happen?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nuruddeen710 View Post
    When i first read your title "Site Hacked, Googles Changed" i thought your google adsense code have been changed to someone else's. Does it ever happen?
    Yes, it happens sometimes. Usually to large sites with static pages, a hacker will just replace "some" of your pages, maybe 3% and this may go un-noticed for a very long time.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are your adsense ads for an account not determined by your sites content? If you have it like that long enough it will think that your content is based with that content. I have created new sites and had the same content as my main site until having the ads on the new site for a bit of time. Then that domain starts showing ads relevant to the content. So possibly you just need to wait? make sure that the hackers links and content is gone though!

Sorry to hear about your blog getting hacked! Frustrating.