SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Local Advertsising Networks?

Hi there,

I'm involved in a site that will rely heavily on advertising to fund its service. The site is the public face for a local internet radio and its target audience is 10-16 year olds, aiming to provide a community and also information to help young people develop. A really worthwhile project.

My Questions are:

Are there any locally based, specificly targeted advertising networks?
    How 'local' and 'targeted' can Google AddSence be made to be?
    Are there any ad networks beyond the obvious that are underated that i should check out?

I am also looking for as much information as possible on the subject, so any great links, tutorials, resources you could point me to would be massively appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Richard

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Targeting is an interesting issue, and changes due to where you are and your local internet/IP allocation and setup and whether cable or adsl is more widespread. For example, in the US it is possible to target to small towns or areas, whilst in the UK you can target to cities (but even that is often wrong). Targeting on a country level is pretty simple though.

I'm guessing you're from the US, so I will comment on US applicable targeting.
    In the US, you are able to target to towns and cities and sometimes even more accurately simply by IP address. Google can target even more closely if someone has a Google account (for GMail, GTalk or any other Google product), as they can have the user's zipcode on file. Google has the widest spread and largest number of advertisers of any network, so you are more likely to get the possibility of local businesses using them for their online advertising presence and therefore having locally targeted ads.

I have seen some very locally targeted US ads for car dealerships to kitchens on Valueclick and Burst Media in the past - so they would also be good networks to apply to. However, I don't know of any completely locally targeted advertising networks. I would imagine that for most localities there would not be enough users/pageviews or advertisers looking to buy online ads to make it worthwhile - but it could work well in some areas. If there is a local business directory or local search engine for your community it may be worth approaching them for advertising partnerships - or even start your own locally focused ad network if you think there is enough demand.

To get local advertisers you would normally have to pitch to them directly and then serve and track the ads yourself using something like OpenAds or a commercial ad serving solution. The majority of local businesses (at least from my experience) don't think about online advertising - and plenty don't even have websites in more rural areas - but they are often open to the idea of experimenting if you pitch to them correctly.

-Tim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Newcastle, Selby. UK

That being said I believe your post is still very relevant, so thanks very much. Basically it looks like its a case of starting a new small add network, or going with googles.

perhaps a combination of both might be the best of both worlds

Thanks very much.

Richard

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I would say a combination of both would be your best bet.
    Targeting in the UK online is iffy at best - I've had connections in Edinburgh and being told I was from Dover. Not even close - but still UK I suppose. Although if you are on cable, then there is a better chance of your IP showing your real locality.

-Tim