SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Freelance Web Designer KeithMcL's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ran a test on my host to see if I could run PHP3 and it was successful.

I couldn't find any info on using MySQL with PHP3 so I emailed my support asking if was installed on the host and the reply I got was, "We do, you just have to request the database that's all".

How do i know what databases there are on the host and how do I create my own? After reading several tutorials on PHP3, none of them mentioned creating a database.

Your help will be much appreciated.

Regards,

------------------
    Regards,
    Keith McL
    http://www.resources-webmasters.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reading tutorials will not help you much in creating db's with php....You need to pick up a php book ( to learn functions that create db's) then a mySQL book to know the characteristics of the field you want so you can tell php to create a db with X number of fields with Y characteristics (by characteristics i mean will it be a field holding text, numbers, how many characters etc...)

And when your host said that you simply need to request the db...i think they probably meant that you need to send them an email asking them to create a database for you...then you can use php3 to create tables in that database...

Most hosts (yours too probably) usually allow 1 database and unlimited 'tables'.

But if you want tutorials on creating db's (like the functions)...you can try http://www.phpbuilder.com/ .

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm kind of in the same boat that you are, learning this on the fly.

I had the same problem with the "setting up" the database, a quick call to the service center for my host fixed that problem and they set up three databases for me (later I learned that one would more than suffice).

After they create the database for you (let's assume the name mynewdb), telnet in (I am assuming you have telnet access) get to your shell prompt and login to your mysql server :

server> mysql -p (hit enter)
    server> password : ******** (you guessed it, enter again)

you should be brought to a mysql command prompt now:

mysql> use mynewdb;

(remember to put the trailing ';' on your commands)

You can now start creating your tables.

A great tutorial is actually on the mysql.com site, check out this page:
    http://www.mysql.com/Manual_chapter/manual_toc.html

Then go to chapter 9 for the tutorial. The rest of the manual is great too.

Feel free to email me at mmccue@post.com if you have any further basic questions that I may be able to help out with (like I said, I'm learning this too, no professional advice guaranteed <G> ).

Mike

------------------
    My new position : Target for Middle Management Hostility.

RAGE
    SitePoint Community Guest
    u guys missed his point

YOU dont have access to create a database on your server ... email support on the host and ask them to create a database for you with the name "whatever" .. and username for database "whatuser" and password "somepassword"

once that has been done, you cant change the db/usr/pass yourself...

THEN, you connect to the mysql server , according to the tutorials.. the tutorials dont explain how to create a database, because thats not something normal access users can do anyway

------------------
    http://www.realmz.net
    Your #1 source of Webmaster Resources