SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good post Dan, I find it interesting because I'm just starting with my wordpress blog.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wordpress blog

How to insert Adsense ads in Wordpress blog

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AdSense won't do a thing for WordPress and SEO.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Wow - what an awesome response to post...

After reading this post last night I did some more searching...

What would the pro's and con's be over a robot file like you have described and this...

User-agent: *
    Disallow: /cgi-bin
    Disallow: /wp-admin
    Disallow: /wp-includes
    Disallow: /wp-content/plugins
    Disallow: /wp-content/cache
    Disallow: /wp-content/themes
    Disallow: /trackback
    Disallow: /comments
    Disallow: /category/*/*
    Disallow: */trackback
    Disallow: */comments
    Disallow: /*?*
    Disallow: /*?
    Allow: /wp-content/uploads

# Google Image
    User-agent: Googlebot-Image
    Disallow:
    Allow: /*

# Google AdSense
    User-agent: Mediapartners-Google*
    Disallow:
    Allow: /*

# Internet Archiver Wayback Machine
    User-agent: ia_archiver
    Disallow: /

# digg mirror
    User-agent: duggmirror
    Disallow: /

# Does anyone care I love Google Apache htaccess

Sitemap: http://www.domain.com/sitemap.xml

I am particularly confused by:

Allow: /wp-content/uploads

and the specifying of the sitemap, but I am sure a lot of people would find your analysis useful not only for WP but also for understanding robot.txt even further.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz View Post
    AdSense won't do a thing for WordPress and SEO.
    so it is not possible to add ads in wordpress blog????????

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thegetpr View Post
    so it is not possible to add ads in wordpress blog????????
    Yes, it is, but it doesn't improve SEO.

This thread was started to discuss SEO as it pertains to WordPress Installation, if you want to discuss adding specific plugins or ads, then you can join a different discussion or create your own thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or better yet, post in my "What WordPress Plugins Do You Use?" thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, and cyrillsneer7, your robots.txt file looks fine.
    Last edited by Dan Schulz; Feb 8, 2008 at 19:27.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

take of all and take this golden advise in building backliinks

see were are your competitors backlinks and put your links there

It is useful in getting back links

and also use typos

my website is in first tens in google for synonims

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol, please learn to have a greater sense of humor Mr Schulz, it really makes life a lot more enjoyable... I don't mean literally slaves... you're still paying them... there's an expression "slave labor"... I wouldn't have said HIRE if I literally meant slaves, I would say "buy" or "find some random person, bag him up and make him your slave" or something rediculous...
    anyways, if duplicate content is so bad why is google and the other search engines that make livings of duplicate content, a lot of which is automated to rip off content without permission, even if they do link to the sites?
    Google, yahoo and MSN seem pretty popular in each other's search engines
    Does google even have original content?
    Duplicate content being "bad" is totally overblown... Think about the most popular sites, google, yahoo, msn, youtube, all have tons of duplicate content. Think of

It's not as good as unique content sure, but it won't kill you... Otherwize everyone who copys and pastes a article because they like it would end up hurting those articles. There's tons of articles on digg that end up #1, despite digg having the exact same article start to finish word for word and quite a few people using the "blog it" feature, and copying and pasting. In addition, it's not like basic phrases such as "takes money to make money" aren't repeated thousands of time, yet there's still going to be a #1 ranked site for that phrase. Duplicate content still adds value to search engines. Unless you violate TOS, More content and more backlinks linking to your site can never HURT you, it just limits the ability in which in helps you.
    To oversimplify, original content might be 100 points, and the more you add, the closer it gets to 0. the more "points" the higher search engine rank... Its obviously way more complicated than this though.

Yes manually submit to major search engines, autosubmit to the rest.
    And there are definately groups that allow you to post links...
    Yes I was joking about "odoyle rules", obviously.

Some of what I said, may not be the optimal way for SEO, but the point of SEO is to get traffic, so if some of the ways I say do that as well as improve SEO, I would think it's worth the effort.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by secretbonus View Post
    lol, please learn to have a greater sense of humor Mr Schulz, it really makes life a lot more enjoyable...
    My sense of humor doesn't include exploitation of others, regardless of how it's done. And making someone work for minimal wage when they should be getting paid more for the same job just reeks of it.

I don't mean literally slaves... you're still paying them... there's an expression "slave labor"... I wouldn't have said HIRE if I literally meant slaves, I would say "buy" or "find some random person, bag him up and make him your slave" or something rediculous...
    Please see above.

anyways, if duplicate content is so bad why is google and the other search engines that make livings of duplicate content, a lot of which is automated to rip off content without permission, even if they do link to the sites?
    Google actually goes out of its way to de-list duplicated content. Hence the "duplicate content penalty" that you hear about so much. It doens't always catch all of it, and sometimes the legitimate sites can get caught up in it, but the company does do everything it can to ensure that it delivers genuine, relevant results to the people who are searching on their site. Afterall, it's in their best interest (and their entire business model) to do so.

Google, yahoo and MSN seem pretty popular in each other's search engines
    Does google even have original content?
    It has plenty of original content. You're just not looking hard enough for it.

Duplicate content being "bad" is totally overblown... Think about the most popular sites, google, yahoo, msn, youtube, all have tons of duplicate content. Think of
    Think of what? And for the record, it is not over-blown. As I said earlier, Google goes out of its way to ensure that genuine, legitimate and relevant search results get served to the people who use its product (the search engine). If it didn't do that, there would be no real incentive for people to use Google over Yahoo, MSN, or even Ask.com

It's not as good as unique content sure, but it won't kill you...
    Not literally, but it will have a negative effect.

Otherwize everyone who copys and pastes a article because they like it would end up hurting those articles. There's tons of articles on digg that end up #1, despite digg having the exact same article start to finish word for word and quite a few people using the "blog it" feature, and copying and pasting.
    They may get up there, but how long do they stay there? Not long, that's for sure. Like I said, garbage in, garbage out.

In addition, it's not like basic phrases such as "takes money to make money" aren't repeated thousands of time, yet there's still going to be a #1 ranked site for that phrase. Duplicate content still adds value to search engines.
    No, it doesn't. If it did, then the search engines would have no incentive to remove it.

Unless you violate TOS, More content and more backlinks linking to your site can never HURT you, it just limits the ability in which in helps you.
    Sites that get de-listed due to being duplicate content won't give the legitimate sites any credit since as far as the search engines are concerned, the duplicated pages don't exist.

To oversimplify, original content might be 100 points, and the more you add, the closer it gets to 0. the more "points" the higher search engine rank... Its obviously way more complicated than this though.
    Now you're grasping at straws here.

Yes manually submit to major search engines, autosubmit to the rest.
    Why bother auto-submitting to the rest when they have such a miniscule market share and get their data from the Big Four anyway?

And there are definately groups that allow you to post links...
    Spamming forums and groups (posting links without permission) and legitimately posting links are two different things.

Yes I was joking about "odoyle rules", obviously.
    Look where that got the O'Doyles (if we're talking about the same movie, that is).

Some of what I said, may not be the optimal way for SEO, but the point of SEO is to get traffic, so if some of the ways I say do that as well as improve SEO, I would think it's worth the effort.
    Only some? Try just about everything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Dan is perhaps the most prolific multi-quoter on Sitepoint

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Rebirth Studios View Post
    Dan is perhaps the most prolific multi-quoter on Sitepoint
    You have no idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best (in my opinion) robots.txt for prevention hit under the filter for content duplication

Code:
    User-agent: *
    Disallow: /category/
    Disallow: /page/
    Disallow: /2005/
    Disallow: /2006/
    Disallow: /2007/
    Disallow: /2008/
    Not Just Another HTML Encoder
    Latest how-to: Execute JavaScript in CSS File

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That robots.txt file you posted is actually pretty harmful, especially if your blog posts get fed through /category/ (as many do).

That, and you'd have to update it manually anyway, which most people will tend to forget to do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    especially if your blog posts get fed through /category/ (as many do).
    If so, yes
    and, if your blog works already long time it is not recommended to put mine robots.txt.

but if you only start, from the point of view seo, it is the best variant...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You only need one robots.txt file to begin with, so why bother adding more, especially when the new one will over-write the existing one anyway?

But now that you've made the claim that yours is the best, why don't you come up with some independent third party verifiable evidence that your suggestion is better than either cyrillsneer7's or mine.

Because I'd love to see it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ttp://google.com/translate_c?hl=en&langpair=ru%7Cen&u=http://alexf.name/2007-11-14/pravim-vodrpress-pod-gugl/
    p.s alexf - man, which has own search engine, not "just another seo blogger"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting article, even if Google did butcher it a bit in the translation, but the execution is somewhat flawed. /page/ and /2007/ would refer to blog.com/page/ which may not even exist on some installations (due to static front pages).

Besides, the one I use has that whole thing covered anyway:

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dan:

Why is:

Ok

But

Disallow: /category/

Not ok?

thnks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The latter will block everything inside the /category/ folder path.

For more information, please visit www.robotstxt.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great post Dan, so I'm going to do some proper SEO for my Wordpress blog.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I learned a great deal from reading this thread. Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz View Post
    I do use WordPress. To start, I wrote my own master theme framework that uses clean, minimal, pure, semantic and valid XHTML (even though it's served as HTML). That means using headings as they were intended, having the source code order defined (header, menu, content, sidebar, footer) to ensure that all pages that NEED to be are able to be indexed, using an actual image for my masthead (rather than abusing an H1 element), and so forth.

From there, I use the All In One SEO Pack to allow me to not only rewrite my page and post titles, but also write which keywords and meta descriptions I want to use on each page and post, rather than the whole blog (since hard-coding it n the header.php file will cause the same text to be used on every page and post).

I also use Enforce .www Preference as well to not only enforce whether or not I use the .www subdomain or not (I personally use it), but also to redirect all index.php calls to their directory (such as www.example.com/blog/index.php getting redirected to www.example.com/blog/).

The next thing I do is use Category Base Killer to remove the /category/ directory from many of the links - that way I don't have as many duplicate content issues since all the pages will have the same link structure.

Then I modify my robots.txt file to block the tags and archives sections from those spiders that actually obey the protocol (the legitimate spiders, of course, meaning search engine spiders). There's no need to block the category since /category/ has already been stripped from the URL string anyway, and the "articles" "entries" or whatever directory I have my blog posts in will be where the posts are at anyway (and they are where I want the engines to go to anyway). There are two ways you can do this. One is to use a hand-written robots.txt file; the other is to use KB robots.txt so you can manage your robots.txt file from within the Dashboard. I have a sneaky suspicion this feature may be incorporated into WordPress 2.5 (even though I haven't tried the betas) so keep your eyes peeled. If it does, then remove the plugin.

With regard to what ssandecki said, WordPress uses rel="nofollow" by default in comments, so there's no need to use a plugin to add it (or even modify the WordPress core files). But if you want to remove them, then the Do Follow plugin will let you do so.

You may also want to read Pushing WordPress's SEO Boundaries and WordPress SEO MasterClass For Competitive Niches, both by Andy Beard as well as Understanding Search Usability and Understanding Search Usability, Part 2 by Shari Thurow.

Off Topic:

Chris, ToddW's blog is broken in Opera. I had to scroll down below the sidebar to read the content. It does appear to be obsolete in places though; other than that, I don't see a problem with what he wrote (especially since I like to use as few plugins as possible while getting the maximum gain out of what I do use).

Isn't there any plugin that will do all this for us?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not that I'm aware of - though I can safely say that the Enforce .www Preference plugin has been incorporated into WordPress directly, so there's no longer any need to use that plugin.