SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Search Engine Market Share December 2007

Here are the search engine market shares for the big three search engines as of December, 2007:

Google: 56.3%
    Yahoo: 17.7%
    Microsoft (MSN/Live): 13.8%

The article mentions that both Yahoo and Google experienced slight declines. I remember reading a year or so ago that Google had 59% of the internet search market.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...0Os&refer=home

Microsoft's share of Internet queries rose to 13.8 percent in December from 12 percent the month before, according to Nielsen Online. Google, with 56.3 percent, and Yahoo, with 17.7 percent, both experienced declines.
    The article is mainly about rumors of a Yahoo takeover, with Microsoft being the highly anticipated suitor.

I sure hope Microsoft doesn't buy Yahoo, because I like Yahoo's search results as I find them far superior to Google's. Even though Google sends me 70% of my search engine traffic (when it doesn't drop my pages), I use Yahoo for all my own searches and have for a few years now.

Then we also have Wikia.com, a search engine currently under development by the folks who brought us Wikipedia. Reviews of their alpha test have not been favorable. Nonetheless, I wish them all the luck in the world because I think that the more search options available the better.

I, personally, am sick of Google's dominance of internet search. As a webmaster, you basically live or die by Google. One day you can get nice traffic and the next day it completely disappears for no reason. I've never experienced this with Yahoo. Also, Yahoo doesn't put my webpages in the Supplemental Index where nobody will find them like Google does. If I have information two or three levels down from the homepage, Yahoo will return it in their SERPS, Google will not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Microsoft will most likely takeover Yahoo to boost it's internet search share and begin to try and over take Google. One of the first steps seems to be the Live Webmasters Center, a clone to Google Webmasters Central.

A takeover of Yahoo! would double their search market share, the question is than who will become 3rd

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ssandecki View Post
    the question is than who will become 3rd
    Ask.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee View Post
    Ask.com
    Thats what I figured, but wouldn't it be interesting if Microsoft absorbed both of them?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ask.com would be a distant third.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ssandecki View Post
    Thats what I figured, but wouldn't it be interesting if Microsoft absorbed both of them?
    No! Competition is what drives innovation. Having only two providers reduces incentive to innovate which hurts consumers (in this case searchers). But in this specific case with Google and MS being arch-enemies (Google is trying to kill the desktop) there should be plenty of incentive by both to keep innovating. Especially on Google's end. Also, if MS drops the ball then Google really will become the monopoly googlebashers already claim they are.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee View Post
    No! Competition is what drives innovation. Having only two providers reduces incentive to innovate which hurts consumers (in this case searchers). But in this specific case with Google and MS being arch-enemies (Google is trying to kill the desktop) there should be plenty of incentive by both to keep innovating. Especially on Google's end. Also, if MS drops the ball then Google really will become the monopoly googlebashers already claim they are.
    Microsoft essentially stopped development of Internet Explorer until competition from Firefox kicked them in the butt and got them moving again. Search engines are a little different in that the costs of entry are much higher than for open source web browsers.

For real competition to exist, you must have multiple players in the market. When you have only a small number of large companies, you get an oligopoly. This gives these few companies a tremendous amount of power over suppliers and customers resulting in little price competition. As for innovation, in an oligopoly situation there will not necessarily be as much competition nor innovation because there are few threats from outsiders. Instead, you may have tacit agreements where you live and let live instead of trying to destroy your competition and possibly yourself in the process.

Innovation is expensive. These are public companies who are beholden to their shareholders to produce results. If Google having a 56% market share and Yahoo/MSN having a 30% market share results in the highest profits, why would Yahoo/MSN invest billions or up advertising payments to publishers just to capture a few extra market share points if the expense exceeds the profits from that extra market share? That would be stupid.

Yes, Microsoft and Google are competitors. Microsoft answered Google Maps with its superior Local Live maps and bird's eye view aerial photographs. Then Google took it a step further its "street view" 360 degree street level photographs. But none of this "innovation" has anything to do with the search engines or the quality of search results. These are toys to play with when you are bored, not productivity tools.

As web masters, do we want traffic from more places or less places? As search users, do we want more search engine options or less?

Let us not forget that Yahoo is still very profitable. It's just not as profitable as some people would like. Google has mopped up the floor with Yahoo in terms of marketing. Every new Google feature results in front page coverage all over the world which is nothing more than millions of dollars in free advertising. Yahoo should get in the game, too. It wouldn't cost them much. Certainly, they could engage in reciprocal advertising agreements with existing traditional media outlets like TV and radio. Instead of "What's On Google News" on the local morning news show I watch, maybe they could do "What's On Yahoo News". In exchange for the plug they give the TV station some free advertising on their search engine.