SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Permission based exit surveys - how to?

I'm looking to poll people leaving my WP blog about why they came, if the found what they came for, and what i can improve. This can be done with the onunload function, as I understand it.
    My problem:
    - I want to ask for permission to survey them at the end of their visit, and ask for this permission right at the start.
    - To do that, I want to use the 'background goes dark and sexy popup appears' function a la http://searchmarketingexpo.com/west/...l_agenda.shtml (click a speaker's name to see what i mean ... "onclick="return GB_showPage('Danny Sullivan', this.href")
    - Also, I'm concerned that the onunload method will popup a survey every time someone visits then leaves; this would annoy visitors and I'd prefer to only do it, say, the first and second times they come, then randomly after that. This concern is largely because I can't see how to implement this on my Wordpress blog short of putting the onunload code into the index template will generate popups whenever they change pages, yet remain in my site!

I've seen http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/show...ht=exit+survey

but it's not an answer to my q.

How can I do permission based exit surveys for my blog, please?

(Idea inspired by Avinash Kaushik's great post on the topic: http://www.kaushik.net/avinash/2008/...w-do-more.html

Unobtrusively zen silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    There are a couple of different things involved here so we'll go through them one at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by SEO Canada View Post
    I'm concerned that the onunload method will popup a survey every time someone visits then leaves; this would annoy visitors and I'd prefer to only do it, say, the first and second times they come, then randomly after that.
    You'll want to use cookies to save information about how often someone has visited. You may want to also save the date/time so that repeated visits within 30 minutes are counted as one.

See this recent post about saving user preferences using cookies.

Quote Originally Posted by SEO Canada View Post
    I want to use the 'background goes dark and sexy popup appears' function
    There are some issues with the techniques used to do that, but recently we were able to help someone else resolve those issues.

See this recent post about applying a viewport shadow
    Programming Group Advisor
    Reference: JavaScript, Quirksmode Validate: HTML Validation, JSLint
    Car is to Carpet as Java is to JavaScript

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great, thanks a lot for those references Paul! What about the fact that it would be done with Wordpress?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fact it is in WordPress shouldn't matter. You'll just have to figure out your way through the template to insert your code as needed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for explaining that Iceman. Any ideas on how to do that? Bear with me here, as I'm an extreme newb when it comes to javascript and most programming type stuff.