SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: ASP vs. ???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Luke,
    I do have a couple of questions, though. XML- I thought that was a relatively new technology that hasn't taken off. Would it be wise to learn this as a fundamental?
    ASP- you said could be written an any language? I thought it was written with Visual Basic and used on NT platforms?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the past year or so, I have been learning web development; more or less on the front end. I am trying to stay as broad as possible (FP2000, HTML, JavaScript, Perl, PhotoShop,etc...). I am now at a point, though, that I think I need to really focus in one area and learn it frontwards and backwards. I am leaning towards ASP. It seems like 7 out of 10 'Web Development' job postings are asking for it. Plus, it seems like a good, all-pupose tool/script for someone who likes to work in an NT environment.
    Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Westmich (formely Chagrined)

[This message has been edited by westmich (edited March 02, 2000).]

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be a employable Web developer you will need to know:
    HTML, Javascript, CSS, XML.

After that you can choose for server side technologies. These include ASP, PHP, Perl and perlscript. Also note that ASP coding can be done in any language as long as there is a scripting engine available on the server. The engines that I know are available include vbScript, Javascript, JScript, PerlScript and REXX. I would recommend vbScript though because most documentation assumes that is what you are going to be using and you don't have to declare a language to the ASP parser.

ASP and similar technologies like PHP are going to be the future of web development. You won't go wrong learning either or both of these technologies.

------------------
    Wayne Luke
    Internet Media Provider

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    XML is very fundamental to learning how to develop new pages. Not only can it be used on the Web but it is being utilized in almost every other industry that uses computerized data. XML is not a presentation language. Instead it tells the computer how to deal with the data presented to it. In the long run it will make your job easier because using style sheets you can make your own tags and have the browser and/or server generate the HTML dynamically for you.

ASP is not a language but a "technology" that is implemented in IIS 3 and higher. It was invented by Microsoft but is an open technology and can be implemented in any server on any platform as witnessed by the ChiliASP product line from ChiliSoft. What ASP does is expose a series of objects on the server that can be utilized by the designer to programmatically develop webpages. By default IIS ships with the Microsoft Scripting Engine which supports both VBScript and JScript (MS Javascript). Since the server knows these two languages via the runtime engine both ASP and WSH (Windows Scripting Host) can access them. If other Scripting Engines where installed then you can access them as well. You would then use the scripting language to access the ASP objects, properties and methods of response, request, Server, etc.... These server objects differ from the objects available in the browser window. In fact ASP does not have any way to create user interface objects and you will create lots of problems if you try.

In the real world though you will find most if not all of your ASP scripting to be done in VBScript. There are probably many reasons for this but the main reason is probably the same reason I use VBscript serverside and JScript client side. If you use one language for the server and one for the client you can tell where each bit of code will run at a glance. Also since ASP is run before the client gets it we can use our scripts to dynamically generate the client side scripts based upon our needs. Again in the long run this will create more concise modular code that is easier to update and distribute.

As the WEB matures you will find that keeping as much code outside your content will be easier. This means once you develop a system for the display and presentation of information you can concentrate on content delivery instead of formatting and design. Can you imagine how television would work if the producer's had to worry about how big the user's screen was or whether they owned a Panasonic, Sony or Zenith VCR? They don't have to. They have a set format and once they broadcast they know everyone will see the exact same thing regardless of screensize or manufacturer. With the increasing use of technologies like XML, ASP and PHP, we as web designers will also get to the point of being able to create content and having the user see it as we desired.

p.s. I think this is almost long enough to qualify as an article here on Webmaster Resources or any other site for that matter.

------------------
    Wayne Luke
    Internet Media Provider

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about ColdFusion Vs ASP??

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW! Wayne, I really liked your article. You should really submit something to Matt. Your knowledge could be a real asset to WR. I'ms ure he would print your stuff!

I for one find your insight very informational. Please keep educating us.

Mike

------------------
    Street Bikers United protecting the rights of motorcyclists worldwide.
    Cosmic Custom Airbrush - Hawaii's premier airbrush studio.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ColdFusion vs. ASP??

To be honest with you I haven't looked into Cold Fusion all that much because the investment is too high. I would really like to maximize the return on my investments so profitability is achieved faster. When setting up a high speed Windows NT server with IIS and SQL server the cost will start around $2,000 for all the proper licenses not counting the 2 machines you need to run it properly. Add complexity and price of Cold Fusion, Tango or other development platforms and you increase your potential problems and costs exponentially.

Now I know many people have chosen Cold Fusion and other databasing products over ASP or PHP and are very successful with those platforms. I had recently been set on Tango as my platform but I decided to learn ASP as well. With that I found a technology that could do everything I needed to do under the platform I wanted to use (Windows NT), had almost no learning curve since I know Visual Basic in all its incarnations already. So now I just saved myself $1500 bucks.

Now I can hear the next question.. If cost is the question why Windows NT and not Linux?? The reason is still money for me. I earn my living by programming, teaching and integrating Windows and Windows applications. Since I have all the tools for a Windows development platform and spent all the necessary money on training, I decided it would not be worth it to learn Linux as well as I know Windows or to make the investment in learning the tools, purchasing a new computer and all other associated costs.

------------------
    Wayne Luke
    Internet Media Provider

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also haven't looked much into ColdFusion but as far as I checked some articles about it I understood that it maybe a good solution for HTML coder swithching to something server-side but for programmer like me it looks quite awful to develop server side stuff using HTML-like tags. Also the community for ColdFusion is quite small and it's possible that you will be left alone with your more advanced problems.

------------------
    ArticleCentral.com - The content directory for web professionals.
    MEGOPhotos - Quality photos for FREE.