SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    though i have conducted only a few interviews till now, but i practiced two things during interview.
    1. ask the interviewee about their interests and expertise, it helps me judge the level of their interests and tendency.
    2. i ask about their past work practice in any thing they have been involved concerning the job, it helps me to know how much time they can take to be supportive.
    in my opinion these 2 things are important.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you are interviewing a person then first of you should look at his/her experience

whether he is a fresher or experience candidate

1.Take it that he is a fresher
    Don`t check his presentation
    check his inter personal skills,dedication of work and level of confidence

2. An Experience Candidate
    First of all check out his presentation a bit
    ask him about his previous company,ask questions about his previous profile which you think is better
    ask about the reason of leaving previous company
    check his skills of work and also his confidence
    ask questions frequently and try to check his patience also
    see if he can handle the pressure means he shouldnt be nervous at that time

that`s it

SitePoint Member SitePhickPoint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by chris_fuel View Post
    Well, the specifics on the interview process will depend on what type of job you're dealing with. However, there are a few things to keep in mind:

1) Does this person know anything about the company?

Did you give them a web page or something to look at to describe your company? If so, figure out how much they've learned. Not much of a response? Might be a flag of a "safety interview" in case another job offer goes sour.

2) Do you feel like punching them in the face?

Humor aside, a somewhat overly tight person with little regards to humor might create a somewhat agitated work environment. Do they smile at all during the interview? Laugh at jokes? If you've got someone on your time that's kind of agitated all the time, other workers could potentially be spending more time thinking about how much they hate him than the next project's requirements.

3) Working independently

Yes, it's going to be most likely a team environment. However, strong independent thinking is also a plus. Someone who constantly has to tap into the knowledge of others loses time for the project, as well as the other person's time. If it's something that needs a lot of constant attention, well you've got meetings to get as much as possible out of the way.

4) Don't take quitting/2 weeks or fired as an instant throwaway flag

Someone quitting gives an obvious sense of lack of motivation for a job, but first figure out why it occurred. It may be something completely out of their control. If you throw someone perfectly suited for the job out based on this, you could have lost a key player to your team.

5) Do research yourself on the position

Look around at what people are expecting known for the job position. Even look around like you were applying for it yourself. In tech areas, look for standards that they should adhere to and see if they know said standards.

6) Look for buzzwords

As part of 5, figure out what the common acronyms and buzzwords are and how they relate to the position. If someone pulls like HTML, CSS, XML, SOAP, REST, etc. make sure they can actually expand them out and aren't just putting them up for kicks and giggles. Same goes with management or any other type of position.

If you want to throw out what type of position it is, I can look and see if there's anything else I can add.

Very good advice!

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are six simple interviewer tips,Establish and maintain control,Allow the candidate to sell themselves to you,Question the resume ,handle unusual or awkward situations ,Little or no eye contact ,The initial handshake.

<snip>
    Last edited by Dan Grossman; Feb 26, 2010 at 00:15. Reason: Self promotion removed

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interview process is depend on which type of job and second is its depend on which type of people gather for taking interview.
    Last thing is we are ready for any type of question which they are fire and we are able to ask with satisfaction.

Thanks,
    Morris

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The interviewer is not allowed to be nervous firstly. When you are interviewing some one you should know the fact that , you are superior to the interviewee this shall reduce your burden and nervousness a lot.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good interview should have excellent ability of experssion in words, and awesome ablity of photography. how to improve these abilities, in my opinion, you should be good at observe anything, and write a lot.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sustaining an interview is an art. It needs to be tackled with care. While undergoing any interview you must make a rapport with those who are taking your interview, get the best dressed and answer only when asked.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have my online interview tomorrow and trust me this helped. Hope I get through

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not an expert but managing half a dozen people everyday does give me a lot of insight on what makes people tick.

Overall you can watch body language and listen to them.

What they say and what they don't say.

Attitude? Interested in your profession with a positive mindset.

BS'r? Catching them making up an unbelievable story? Red Flag!

Big Talker? Do you want to work with someone who has been there and done everything under the sun? someone who knows everything? Ewwww!

I would choose an experienced male or female who is very humble with a sense of humor and doesn't talk back
    Affiliates: Easy point & Click Website Building Software

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Confidence is the first and foremost thing one need to possess before appearing for an interview. If an answer is not known then it is a safer option to say that you are not aware of the answer instead of giving a total absurd answer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1 - research the company, industry, person, audience profile, etc.

2 - analyze what your target market wants to know and what information the interviewee might know

3 - practice your interview on a colleague to see how it goes

4 - Basically you should already have great insight and interest in the topic... if so the interview should be a great read
    UNLIMITED Domains - UNLIMITED Disk Space - UNLIMITED Bandwidth
    *Black Friday - Website Hosting Deal of The Year - 50% OFF!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do interviews for my website www.creative-writing-help.com. What I usually do is compile a standard question list that I email the potential writer. I usually send about 10-20 emails out to the different writer's I'm interested in. In about a week, I usually get 8 out of the 10 back with the answers under the questions.

I than have a nice little article I can post on my site and include a picture and a link to their site. I find that this is an easy way to build content and to get links to author sites (which are relevant to my content).
    Last edited by Mittineague; May 23, 2010 at 12:45. Reason: unnecessary link

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the key to a good interview is knowing how to ask the right questions, as many of you have previously noted. Doing some background research on an individual or business allows you to gain a better perspective before you even interview, be it in person, skype, or via email. Also, this enables you to narrow your questions to topics that you are not already knowledgeable about- driving strong questions to your interview. At the end of an email interview, ALWAYS provide an invitaion for the interviewee to add more information that was not covered already in the interview.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As the interviewer it's important to be in control of the situation. You're the person in power, you're the guide to the interviewing process. However, try not to cross the line into being some kind of hotshot know-it all. You represent your company, unless your company wants to be seen in that light, don't act that way. Your job isn't to make people feel belittled or stupid, it's to find the right fit for your company.

As the interviewee it's important to practice for an interview. Go over the company and industry's background. Be prepared asap because you don't know when they might contact you. I once had an interview over the phone after a couple weeks of not hearing back from the company in which I applied for. I got the job, but this is partly due to the fact that I had practiced basic interview questions to the point that I can naturally recite them. I say naturally because you don't want every word that comes out of your mouth to sound like it's a poor acting job.

There are many other tips available, however most have already been covered by this thread.

Lastly, remember to dress appropriately. Dress to match the company. You never want to underdress or overdress. IE. If you are applying for a hip creative ad agency and you know there is flair in the company's culture, you could probably pull off wearing a casual business suit and a pop culture shirt in place of a professional button up. You must sell yourself. If you look like you fit in, you probably will make a lasting impression.

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Well, if you've made it this far, Congratulations!

You've read over two and a half years worth of replies and discussion.

You can now rightfully proclaim yourself as being Interview Savvy