SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Decent encoding, modest price?

I'm doing a small, commercial web app that others will deploy. I'd like to protect my work to a degree that will discourage theft. With Zend Guard at $600/year I might as well forget it. Anyone have a recommendation for an alternative? I see a bunch of offerings, but I can't find any reviews or opinions that are less than two years old.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you looked at http://www.ioncube.com/. Have not used it myself as such, but heard from people say it's pretty good.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked, but hard to find any recent info. Current version is a year old. Are they still a going concern?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Encoders are too problematic & user-unfriendly to care about IMHO. Why not rely on a hosted solution? Let your application reside in your own server and allow customers to modify it through a web-based interface.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge. - Einstein

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is an Intranet application that runs on their network entirely behind the firewall.

SitePoint Addict chestertondevelopment's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I'm against encoding code in general, I understand that it can be a necessary evil. An alternative to actual encoding is running the code through php_strip_whitespace and saving it. It strips all new lines, comments etc. and basically compresses the code right down. It's possible to get the code back to a readable form but it's more effort than previously and they won't get the comments that were previously available.

You could go even further and create some kind of obfuscation tool which changes variable names to make it even more difficult to get the code understandable again.

It's not a perfect solution by any means but it might stop an amateur reproducing it.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel funny about it myself. I've always been completely open with my work and have not had any bad experiences. However, this app does data mining for a niche market ERP system and will be marketed by the company that sells the ERP software. I am relying on them to sell the app and they want encoding and concurrent licensing. I may just ask them to spring for Zend Guard and see what they say. If they won't buy in then I'll take your advice and just strip out the notes and white space and call it good enough. I can obfuscate the licensing part so that it will not be easy to bypass the concurrent user code.