SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buying Links in Directories

I have some money to purchase links in directories such as Yahoo.com and Business.com. Are there any other good directories to be listed in and are there any that could produce the traffic that these two listed would?

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll get some varying opinions on this. Here is a pretty good site that sorts by pagerank:
    http://www.paiddirectorylist.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are other paid directories out there that would give you the targeted traffic you need - but not as much as the two you have mentioned. Checking on their alexa rank is a resource you may want to look at for traffic stats.
    ClickXposure.com - PPC Management

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, Yahoo! doesn't have a paid directory, the $299.00 is a quick review fee and doesn't mean if you pay it you'll get listed. Paid directories are getting hit hard by Google for selling text links, a true directory should only charge for "quick review" of your site and not payment to place your site in the directory.

I personally avoid directories all together, they don't give much SEO\Pagerank weight at all, look at how many outbound links their are per web page, they are all diluted. Your money is best spent else where, like on a nice girl, a good dinner, cheap bottle of wine, then....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol ssandecki. Unfortunatly a nice girl will not bring traffic to my site, unless the site was in the adult industry.

Any suggestions then? We have a financial site, so the subject material is not exactly link bait friendly. We already spend thousands a month on PPC, so I want to spend money on something else that will help drive some traffic.

Maybe I need to focus on branding instead or hiring proffesional writers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it the one in your siggy bud? If not, kindly provide the URL of the site you are referring to so we way advice you accordingly..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jgsketch View Post
    lol ssandecki. Unfortunatly a nice girl will not bring traffic to my site, unless the site was in the adult industry.

Any suggestions then? We have a financial site, so the subject material is not exactly link bait friendly. We already spend thousands a month on PPC, so I want to spend money on something else that will help drive some traffic.

Maybe I need to focus on branding instead or hiring proffesional writers.
    Have you been using digg.com to promote your articles? Digg.com is a great website to submit your new article URLs to and can help promote traffic and natural backlinking to your site.

Do you talk on any financial forums? You could use your forums signature if allowed to display your websites url and a new description next to it.

Why don't you PM me your URL, I'll review the site and follow up in PM with more ideas that might work for you, I'm always on the "free" side so most of my suggestions will be free to implement or cost almost nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site is www.delraycc.com. I'm in the middle of a redesign. I have articles coming in every week. About 25 a month. So content will be good. As far as Digg is concerned, I have not yet been able to get listed on the front page. Some articles have done good in the past though.

As mentioned, I get good results with PPC. The ROI is spot on. However, I want to increase our natural traffic. I'm going at it as if search engines do not exsist. That way, all my traffic would be coming from other sites and Google traffic would just be icing on the cake. I realize that kind of traffic will be hard to come by and not very much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually Yahoo! traffic converts much better than Google, so your revenue is usually higher with Yahoo! traffic than Googles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You got a tough niche there Your option of directory submission could provide you traffic - but minimal. Just one good thing about traffic from directories is that they are targeted.

Have you considered sitewide ads on similiar niched sites with heavy traffic?
    I think that is also a viable way to reach you target audience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a tough market. We had thought about purchasing site wide ads, they tend to be expensive and the ROI is much lower. But we have not tried it, so I'm only going by what others have said in the field. We're trying the partnership route right now. But this proving to be difficult too, partners are requesting so much from us and not giving much in return. I think with time, we'll find the right partners.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dont waste much money on directory submission. Better try to buy some links from best sites. its work more than diectory