SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question how do I build a community to make them aware of my site?

I know it’s a site’s utmost priority to position itself well and above all with a proper community. But its walking through a shower of hails looking for a community…let alone a proper community. Could someone tell me who I should contact for this?

Gone!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could you clarify exactly what you mean there Theron. Its a little vague.

Thanks

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have moved your thread to a better forum Theron.

I too am a little confused as to what you are asking?

If you are looking for community software, then it will depend on what technology you run (Linux/Windoze php/asp etc) and on your budget.

If you're on Windows (and asp), condiser Snitz forums (www.snitz.com) which are free.

If you're on Linux (and php), consider www.phpbb.com (which is free) and www.vbulletin.com (which is not, but is excellent - running these very forums).

If you are interested in ideas for promoting a community on your site, more specific questions are needed. My favourite phrase (and a big hint) - "cross-pollenation"

H
    Last edited by TheOriginalH; Mar 14, 2002 at 10:59.
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have an existing site that you are looking to add community aspects to? Launching a community is not always of the utmost priority, it really depends on the focus of your site and its potential to grow.

How do you define 'proper community'?

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking either, maybe if you could be a bit more specific we'll be able to give you better advice.

If you're referring to software to power your community then OriginalH has given you some good places to investigate, running some searches in various script directories will also help you to track down the software you need.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

if you are referring to community marketing, http://www.cfmcorp.net that’s one good site that I know who will give you advice and guidance for community building. Cheerio!