SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    derrrp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the "exclusive" is what is killing journalism...not blogging.
    No, I REALLY dislike having to use Joomla.

SitePoint Enthusiast bestofmoney's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Sagewing View Post
    Absolutely not. Most blogging isn't anything like journalism. The additional 'noise' and overload of information, opinions, etc. might actually rejuvenate the journalism field as people seek to find and confirm credible sources for information rather than just opinion.
    I agree but will add that Information isn't knowledge either you have to interpret information and this requires not only logics and critics, but also circumvent our own psychological bias which many people can't just be strong enough to fight their own preconceived belief. They will rather fit the facts to their belief than try to reassess their belief with new facts.

Life is short. Be happy today! silver trophybronze trophy Sagewing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow that is a lot of words but what do you mean?
    The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods. Socrates

SAGEWING LLC - QUALITY WEB AND MOBILE APPS. PREMIUM OUTSOURCING SERVICES.
    Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | Google+

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The recent coverage of the death of Heath Ledger is a perfect example. Within hours, many sites were reporting false information. Drugs scattered all over the room, a drug overdose, a rolled $20 which must mean cocaine.

The need to scoop the other guy by posting a story faster is keeping people from the checking the facts. One guy posts and it spreads like wild fire to the next and the next.

Okay, I'm being overly dramatic when I say "demise" of journalism - but it does seem that being a "blogger" gives you a pass on fact checking.

On a related note, I notice (sadly) that pure photo posts on some of my blogs get 3 times the hits of a well-written interview or review. So maybe the fault lies not in ourselves, dear Brutus, but in the short attention span of the Internet user.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now my question is, what is the viability of using the blog concept(allowing any user to post their ideas) on a website which provides news content and also a path for blog users who are interested to learn how to research and write educated information. Use the blogging concept to give people a reason to look for the truth.

So basically, provide a source of credible information, and then allow users to emulate that information using their own opinions, their own ideas.. There is a difference between using inaccurate/unsubstantiated information and giving a bias or opinion.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It wouldn't be too great an exaggeration to say that journalism is already dead - here in the U.S., at least. Many blogs are merely an extension of the media. The Internet has the potential for great things, but that potential is not being realized.

Life is short. Be happy today! silver trophybronze trophy Sagewing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods. Socrates

SAGEWING LLC - QUALITY WEB AND MOBILE APPS. PREMIUM OUTSOURCING SERVICES.
    Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | Google+

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There will be always room for both but blogging can not demise journalism because blogging lack in true inherent professionalism.
    Last edited by esds; Jan 29, 2008 at 04:41.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    journalism shows professionalism where blog is created by even a kid

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Musicbox View Post
    journalism shows professionalism where blog is created by even a kid
    Anyone can make a blog, but that doesn't mean every blog is childish. There are many blog authors out there that are much more professional then many traditional print journalists.

SitePoint Evangelist superuser2's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It may be the demise of the newspaper column or the features section, but that is all it replaces.

It will never replace actual journalism.

Though people cancelling their actual newspaper subscriptions and reading it all online for free WILL be the demise of actual journalism.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee View Post
    Anyone can make a blog, but that doesn't mean every blog is childish. There are many blog authors out there that are much more professional then many traditional print journalists.
    Exactly. And let's not forget that there are also offline magazines that have blogs on the magazine's site where they post actual news, ect.
    TYCP Magazine
    Picspaces - image hosting with unlimited bandwidth
    Hollywood Encountered - submit your celebrity encounters

SitePoint Member Share Investor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynthiab View Post
    I came from the magazine writing world. There you had several months lead time to prepare an article, editors to give it the once over and an art department to design graphics.

Now I write mostly on for blogs where I have an hour lead time (entertainment news!), no editor and I am the art department.

Don't get me wrong, I love the pace of blogging - but there are times when I miss the finer points of journalism. I see the difference often when there is a conference call with several writers and an actor.

I take the transcript and write an "article" (even though it's for a blog). I shape the piece with my impressions and other information, but while I'm doing that two other blogs have posted the entire transcript without any additional content and it's all out there.

I just wonder if blogging is causing journalism to become a lost art?
    To be fair, I think the downfall of "journalism" happened way before blogging became popular.

Standards slipping and opinion overtaking fact are now a mainstay, and a creeping leftist agenda mixing with news reporting in a very unsettling way have made serious journalism a thing of the past.

There are of course notable exceptions.

The internet has made writing more of a democratic thing, just like it has with everything else and the removal of the "middle man" brings the writer and reader much closer to each other.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blogging and Journalism

A very interesting question that should be answered carefully.
    Journalism , essentially was an an objective reporting or telling of a story.
    Over the years, it has changed to be no longer objective.
    Journalists are now allowed to input comment or editorials.

The way I see blogging can include anything
    stories
    editorial
    truths and untruths.
    It is up to the reader to discern what is worthy and presents the reader with the ability to discern or discriminate.

Journalism without the commentary remains reporting.
    Blogs can be slanted, and the choice and categories of blog are much wider.

At this time journalists may be more trusted than bloggers,
    The two can be paralleled.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A blogger, if he writes well, can be one of the best journalists of our time. It doesn't matter whether one is a journalist or not. It's more on skills, talents, passion, dedication, and an inquisitive mind.