SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keyworded subdomain pointing to original domain

I currently have a website that is now ranking highly for its city and industry, and I now want to optimise the exact same site for visitors who will be searching using the state keyword.

E.G. the site is optimised well for "used cars" and "Miami".

Lets say the sites domain is www.davescars.com I now want to optimise the same site for "Florida" by creating a subdomain called
    www.florida.davescars.com
    and pointing the subdomain of www.florida.davescars.com to the original domain of www.davescars.com.

Would this increase my ranking for people searching for used cars in florida without hurting my ranking for those already searching for used cars in Miami?

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee View Post
    No.
    Agreed.

Sub-domains are considered to be seperate sites from the actual domain name by many search engines. You would be better off creating new static pages in sub-folders for each state. Sub-domains could work also but you must start your ranking\seo effort from the start again.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ssandecki View Post
    Sub-domains are considered to be seperate sites from the actual domain name by many search engines.
    Not for Google anymore. They changed that which is a good thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not for Google anymore. They changed that which is a good thing.
    When did they change that? I still thought Google was considering these are seperate sites, and been preaching that practice. Is there any cites or sources to the change you can give me to review?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes, Google actually published something recently. I don't have the link as I am not home right now but if I can find it I will post it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, Google actually published something recently. I don't have the link as I am not home right now but if I can find it I will post it.
    Ok, hopefully I can have something to reference then.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your advice..

There is not much copywriting on the home page at the moment, what if I add a h1 tag with content something like "Proudly Florida Owned and Run"?

And then some paragraph tags with copywriting something like this "we have the biggest and best range of used cars in Florida"?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ssandecki View Post
    Ok, hopefully I can have something to reference then.
    Here it is: http://googlewebmastercentral.blogsp...at-pubcon.html

Subdomains vs. Subdirectories
    What's the difference between using subdomains and subdirectories? When it comes to Google, there aren't major differences between the two, so when you're making that decision, do what works for you and your visitors. Following PubCon, our very own Matt Cutts outlined many of the key issues in a post on his personal blog. In addition to those considerations, if you use Webmaster Tools (which we hope you do!), keep in mind that you'll automatically be verified for deeper subdirectories of any sites you've verified, but subdomains need to be verified separately.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Stymiee, glad to see we can verify sub-domains in webmaster central as well, I had problems doing it about 6 months ago where it would verify the emtpy html file.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also worth mentioning...

Matt Cutts post where he answers this question...
    Are subdomains and TLDs still considered separate entities (unique virtual properties). For example, subdomain.domain.com and domain.com are still considered as individual and unique entities by Google. I bring this up, because assuming the old rules are still in effect, a webmaster could dilute the value (or authority) of their website by spreading their content across multiple subdomains.
    by saying...
    our policies for how subdomain.example.com vs. example.com relate to each other havenít changed.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There is a more recent post from Google that flat out says subdomains aren't separate or special.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Technically, I interpreted that they are still separate, but their value of garnering extra results has been reduced with this new change, eliminating multiple sub-domains from one host to bloat SERPs.

When you say...
    There is a more recent post from Google that flat out says subdomains aren't separate or special.
    Are you referring to the one you mentioned, which cites the post I've listed, or is there something I missed?

Subdomains vs. Subdirectories
    What's the difference between using subdomains and subdirectories? When it comes to Google, there aren't major differences between the two, so when you're making that decision, do what works for you and your visitors. Following PubCon, our very own Matt Cutts outlined many of the key issues in a post on his personal blog. In addition to those considerations, if you use Webmaster Tools (which we hope you do!), keep in mind that you'll automatically be verified for deeper subdirectories of any sites you've verified, but subdomains need to be verified separately.