SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how to combine sites from different google webmaster accounts?

I started playing around with google webmaster tools last year. Now I am getting a little more serious about it and want to combine the websites that have accumulated months of history on one account into my new "official" account where I track all my clients.

I don't want to lose the history from the older account but need to move them to the newer account.

I can add a new file or meta tag in the new account for an old site but I don't think that transfers over the old history with it.

Anyone know of a way to do this?

Many thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think the data will be transfered regardless what you do, once you remove the website from one account all the data is removed, it may return when you re-register it or during the first update may return.

Let us know the results of what happens, also why would you use multiple accounts?!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used an account last year to sort of test and learn. Then I started this year with more current information with newer sites and I want to stay with this newer account.

Thanks.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't see why you can't simply add the websites to the new accounts and then just delete the old one. It only takes a few minutes to set up each on the control panel and verify it through the meta tag. It might be a PITA to do but shouldn't take too long overall.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee View Post
    I don't see why you can't simply add the websites to the new accounts and then just delete the old one. It only takes a few minutes to set up each on the control panel and verify it through the meta tag. It might be a PITA to do but shouldn't take too long overall.
    I don't think you can have a website on 2 different webmasters central accounts, you can only verify one account per site unless they changed it. I believe you'll get an error when you try to verify the site. I could be wrong.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Could be. But I also noticed they had something that listed the number of accounts that had a site listed. That implied to me that one site could be in multiple accounts. Of course I might be thinking about Yahoo SiteExplorer.

Either way they can delete it from the old account and then move it to the new one. I don't think there is any data that can be lost.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, the data isn't lost but it might take some time for it to appear, maybe one or two weeks. I doubt it will show the data instantly. Let us know what happens.