User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help my web designer bailed

Hi guys,

My web designer has bailed and is holding my site to randsom. I need to find someone to finish it. The design aspect is pretty much taken care of (although it needs some tweaks). Should I enter this as a new contest? I need to get it finished and I need support/optimazation. ASAP.

In case you haven't guessed I'm a complete technophobe. I've been burned, are there any honest, kind, reliable people left, what happened to integrity?

I appreciate any replies.

Nina Greville

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does he just want to be paid for it.
    We are all web designers here so we'd need confidence the work he'd done had been paid for and then it would be cheaper for you not to have someone repeat the work.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The big questions are:

1) Why did they bail on the project?

2) Why do they feel the need to hold the project hostage?

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get a screenshot of the work if you can.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What reason has the developer given for refusing to release the site? Tell us that and you might find somebody to help you. The site is no good to the developer so he must have a pretty good reason and I would hazard a guess that he wants recompensing for the time he has spent on it.
    There are three kinds of men:
    The ones that learn by reading.
    The few who learn by observation.
    The rest of us have to pee on the electric fence.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good points I can see how this might look! I paid him 50% up front before he did any work. We agreed that I would pay the balance on completion, at his request. He made a start and we e-mailed back and forth. He had promissed that the site would be finished by the end of 2007 (he started in Sept). I sent him an e-mail after the new year expressing my dissapointment but it was not at all offensive or anything, after all I wanted the work completed. I have spoken to someone else who's site he did and he doesn't have his phone number either.

Life is short. Be happy today! silver trophybronze trophy Sagewing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How did you find/know this designer?
    The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods. Socrates

SAGEWING LLC - QUALITY WEB AND MOBILE APPS. PREMIUM OUTSOURCING SERVICES.
    Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | Google+

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please note: I am not a lawyer. This is not legal advice. These are just questions to help get to the bottom of the situation and perhaps offer you a solution.

Was there a written contract involved? Did the designer go on vacation? Did you state clearly and succinctly all specific aspects involved in the project (down to the pixel)? Did you advise the designer of a specific date of completion (not just "end of 2007" but something to the effect of "site must be up by December 31, 2007") so there would be no miscommunication? Did you make sure to define "completion"?

No professional designer is going to turn over the site and upload it until you pay them. To most designers, completion means that the work is done. It doesn't mean that the site is uploaded. It doesn't mean that the site has one more pixel to modify. It means, to the designer that once the client is happy and they've expressed enthusiasm to the final product, and they've approved it, then it's completed and they will expect payment before releasing the site to you or any web host under your control.

I'm hoping this doesn't come across as harsh, but there are so many details that we don't know. I do want to help in any way I can- I just want to make sure that all bases have been covered.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to add to the above, do you have access to the partially completed files or will the coding need doing again from scratch?

Also, what copyright agreements do you have with the designer regarding ownership of the work - if the designer owns copyright there may be issues with getting somebody else to duplicate the designs.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all your advise. After 6 months I finally got a reply from him with no explination but an appology. He offered to finish the site for free. I said no thanks as I do not have confidence about him hosting and optimizing the site going forward. My understanding is that he'd been through some personal difficulties, however I'd have been fine if he just kept open communication.

This is a great site and I appreciate the feedback I recieved. Just glad I wasn't that "nightmare" client.

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for letting us know what happened. In my own experience, I have had to always have a "plan B" in place in case someone bailed like what happened to you. As in your case, it has happened to me too, and almost always there is a reasonable reason provided. But regardless of the excuse I take it upon myself to take responsibility and get the work done regardless. Hopefully, you will have the site finished soon, and with a good result!