SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Baby Gifts site review needed - not making any sales

We have a baby gifts online store targeted at customers in the USA. It's hosted in the US and we have tried where possible to 'americanise' the site. We are ranking on page 4 in google.com in the US for baby gifts and page 1 for personalized baby gifts (our main keywords) and getting approx 1700 unique visits a month.

The problem is that we haven't sold anything now for months and we haven't even had any enquiries from potential customers. Using google analytics shows that two thirds of our vistors leave after only viewing the home page even though the keywords they are searching for are specific to what we offer.

We have a UK based site (www.framemyname.co.uk) selling the same products in the UK getting similar rankings with google.co.uk and that site sells over 100 items a month. We also get a lot of enquiries about our products.

We've looked at everything we can think of on the .com site with regard to the design and layout, checked the shopping basket works, lowered the price and delivery costs etc but still can't work out why we aren't getting any sales.

Any suggestions as to where we are going wrong would be greatly appreciated - looking for suggestions on site layout and colour scheme, any problems viewing site, ease of navigation, the information available about products and general suggestions on products etc. Especially helpful if any Americans can let us know if our prices seem ok or if they are too expensive.

Site to be reviewed - www.wowbabygifts.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hm. I'm not sure I know why you haven't made any sales in the US. My only guess would be competition or an already saturated market under different keywords. There's definitely nothing about your site, that I can see, that would spurn Americans from buying. I can give some general impressions, though.

In the first paragraph on the home page you have blue text. Some of the blue text links to other pages and some don't. I mouse over the first "Baby Gifts" (the big one) and nothing happens. I mouse over "baby gifts" below (in smaller text) and I get a link. Why not choose the uppermost and heaviest highlighted text as a link? Or at least make both links?

Something else that confused me was the shopping cart link. On the homepage it does nothing. It's not clickable. But on subsequent pages the "go to checkout" link and "Total" dropdown appear. Why don't they appear on the home/Baby Gifts page?

You don't have any dollar figures "above the fold" (on my resolution, 1024 X 768). Seeing prices instantly signals our capitalist brains that "I can spend money here!!" Also, I understand why you have "learn more" as a button under the products (which I see after I scroll), but something stronger might get people to click such as "buy now" (which you have on your second page). I have to scroll, click, and then scroll before I can buy something. Maybe you need some stronger indication at the top of the page that this is a store. Right now the only indication of consumerism is the deactivated "shopping cart" graphic.

Overall, the site looks good. Though I personally didn't have a problem figuring it out, I can see where others might. Pound visitors over the head with the fact that you sell things. Make prices pop out and "buy now" buttons scream from the upper home page. Though your British site has a similar format and you're making sales there, so perhaps I'm way off base.
    Ed Womack
    Get Milked

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site looks very good. However, I'm with ewomack. I can easily see how to many people it's not very obvious that you are selling things.

Most large online stores have tons of items/prices/buy now buttons/etc that scream "we have stuff for sale and it's easy to buy" right on the main page of their site.
    DiggMarket.com - The Stock Market of Digg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with jasonphd about your website not obvious as a ecommerce website.

There seems to be too many text/descriptions in your homepage esp for those at the left menu which I think they are category links which usually will only have links in the menu and when you go into each category then you will see more description.

1. Try to increase the font size of the prices display. They are slightly a bit too small and the rest of the product info is redirecting attention away from it.

2. Make your logo clickable back to the homepage. After I browse into a second level page, I am unable to go back to the homepage. haha. I just noticed the homepage is called Baby gifts. Either you add another tab called "homepage" or you should change "baby gifts" to "homepage"

My view on why sales are not coming in, could be the saturation of the same market. In recent months, there are quite a few similar websites e.g. snapfish. Every website is selling their different products I can do for my photos.

1 area which you could highlight is your delivery. As your products are gifts to someone, emphasis the details you put into the delivery package to the receiving party e.g. high-quality boxes. This gives a complete experience in terms of gifts-giving, not just making sure the gifts themselves are nice but also the packaging that comes together with the gifts.

Anyway I like your site design and use of colors. Very pleasant and smoothing. You should now focus on your SEO and finding out what your customers want to see at the homepage e.g. by doing a survey?
    www.simonth.com My portfolio website

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must agree with the reviews above. It looks like a content site rather than store. Also ranking on page 4 in google doesn't mean anything. You need to be on page 1.

ewomack pretty much covers it all.
    I would change the "learn more" button to say something like "Product Details" or something.

My advice would be to get a professional copywriter to tweak the sales part.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the risk of sounding too harsh, as a person who shops online, I was very turned off by your test which repeats the words "baby gifts" so many times that I feel like it's a robot site with robot text.

You even have the phrase, "Our baby gifts selections are ideal as newborn baby gifts, christening gifts, Christmas presents, baby shower gifts, baptism presents."

The first gifts (plural) should be gift and then you repeat gift and present over and over. I feel like I'm being hit over the head with it.

All of the blue text is also "keyword" spamming in my mind. I don't feel like you're talking to me, the consumer, but to a search engine robot.

Second, more gift images above the fold. Your header takes up a lot of room and it looks like all you sell are prints. They're cute but I wouldn't have scrolled down for more.

Love the colors, the graphics and the items are cute. Tweak the layout and copy and see if that helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynthiab View Post
    All of the blue text is also "keyword" spamming in my mind. I don't feel like you're talking to me, the consumer, but to a search engine robot.
    That could explains the Google ranking. No offense. I will take back my earlier words about suggesting you to think more about SEO which I believe you have done a great job.

What I should have said is to improve your site's customer-friendliness.
    www.simonth.com My portfolio website

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overall, pretty nice design.

First thing that comes to mind, change the way the logo is. Instead of a green border, choose something darker to help contrast it better. A darker shade of green would be good.

On the main welcome paragraph, avoid using light colors, it makes it hard to read (such as the blue). Also, to match your site, why not use green instead of blue?

Navigation - Darker green for the text, you want it to be as readable as possible.

Overall, pretty nice site. Those are the only helpful tips I can give you it seems.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is going to be a rather long post, so get a cup of coffee, relax and get ready.

I know why you're not getting any conversions. I am a very web savvy user (err, technophile) and I wouldn't buy from your store. I'm going to show you why and try to explain along the way.

First. Let's look at your home page:

The design isn't bad, but you have way too much text. I know this is probably from search engine optimization, but it's the wrong way to do it. You should build relevant pages for each of your long-tail topics, and link to them from the home page. You don't necessarily want your home page to pull up on every single term anyway, because it converts much less than a targeted landing page would. Use your home page as a doorway page to your products and interior pages, not to stuff that much content.

I would suggest adding a more detailed navigation, with links to sections within your site. The current navigation just blends into the design of the site, and the overall layout makes your site look more like a content site than an e-commerce site. Look at a popular baby gift site for comparison:

See how they have tons of products and links to products at the top of their page? It's very clear what they sell. If you scroll down the page, they do have copy, but it's way down below the fold.

Next...

I tried to add a product to your shopping cart. I'm going to go ahead and discuss this process here, see the images below for the step by step I went through.

First understand one fundamental thing about e-commerce sites. Every step you make your buyers go through is an opportunity for them to bail out, and a % of them will. Now look at the 5 steps AFTER adding a product to the cart (not including credit card processing, I bailed after 5 steps).

1: Signup

There is no branding, no logo, and no design. This page looks nothing like your site. Savvy shoppers will notice the domain name, but many will not. This is likely a source of quite a few exits. But even if they make it to the next section...

2: What is this page???

I get a map of the US. Of course I'm in the US. What is this screen for?? I honestly have no idea what I'm supposed to do at this point[/b] I wanted to checkout, maybe one of those little bitty text links?

3: Finally! A shopping cart

Okay, at step 3 AFTER adding to my cart, I can actually see a shopping cart. Are you seeing the problems with this?

4: Personal Information

I know this isn't credit card information, but at step 4 in this process I would expect to see an SSL encrypted site by now. I'll go ahead, but I'd probably have bailed by now if I were a real potential customer.

5: Third party payment processing

Okay, this is the straw breaker. After all that, entering personal information, needless screens, I am taken to a completely different site. Note that this is the third layout your potential customers have seen, and it's a completely different domain. A payment processor they've likely never heard of.

If they hadn't lost trust in you by step 4, they're sure gone now. I didn't even think of proceeding because I could just imagine another 5 screen process here.

I would strongly recommend that you process the credit cards on your site, or skin whatever processor you use so that it looks like your site. This is a huge source of drops here.

You really have to either customize your cart, and reduce the number of steps or get rid of it and go with a better e-commerce software.

With 1700 visitors a month, you can be getting a significant number of sales per month, but you have to make a serious decision about your website's
    usability. Would you buy from your site with all those steps?

Best of luck... sorry if I was harsh but you asked for it
    PM me if you need any advice or suggestions on how to proceed.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the login page may scare them off

With internet fraud at its all time high, if something doesn't look kosher, it can scare them off. The only reason I say this is your redirect to a login page. It directs them to a blank page, with no association to your store, site or brand.

Try integrating the login page with the template, that may help them feel warm inside.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overly excessive use of the word baby gift and personalize, smells spammy, by hitting the visitors over the head with those words you're showing you have no consideration and assume they're so dumb, they won't notice.

All it sells is personalized prints, people would expect baby items, there are none, you are misleading people.

The competion sell personalized items at a much lower cost.

Your phone number isn't a 1-800 one.

And Beley went at lenght to describe what's wrong with your buying process.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    beley is correct, that is your answer.
    Bring out our hope and reason, before we pine away.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the help so far.

I've taken on board a lot of the suggestions and have revised the site accordingly. Just waiting for the company that deals with our shopping cart to get back to us so we can integrate our shopping basket more seamlessly with our website.

If anyone wants to look at the revised site and let me know if it's improved I'd appreciate it!

Thanks again

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To help with the site information and conversion, you should get someone who would be buying (like a mother of a small baby) and ask them. Most of us would not be purchasing baby items, therefore we would not be experienced, and our comments would be subjective. Although Beley has some very good advice.
    Check some of the competition and see how they layout their sites. My wife, who buys items for our grandchildren, says she doesn't trust the checkout. This is someone who buys these items.
    hope this helps
    falcon
    Many good Free Tutorials at:
    http://freetutorials.name

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in the UK so not best qualified to answer your particular questions. Just a couple of points. Your homepage has seven products on it. I could only see two without scrolling. They appeared below the halfway line of my screen.

With 1,700 visits a month I don't think it's any surprise that you are not selling much.

Best wishes.
    Charles Sweeney
    FormToEmail.com

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the below listed site, this is your meta tags. You may want to optimize them.

www.framemyname.co.uk

<title>Baby Gifts, Personalised Baby Gifts, Baby Christening Gifts, Birth Announcement Cards, Christening Invitations, Personalised Birthday Cards, Dinosaur Gifts</title>

<meta name="description" content="Personalised baby gifts featuring your child's name meaning and origin, including our name prints, personalised birthday cards, portrait canvas, pop art canvas, baby birth announcement cards &amp; christening invitations, birthday party invitations and a range of personalised dinosaur gifts. ">

<meta name="keywords" content="baby gifts, baby gift, christening presents, personalised baby gifts, christening gifts, christening invitations, birthday party invitations, personalised birthday cards, new baby gifts, gifts for babies, baby gift vouchers, christening presents, baptism gifts, baby gift, newborn baby gifts, dinosaur gifts, childrens birthday cards, childrens party invitations, childrens gift, birthday gift, baby shower present, gifts for a godchild, children's gifts, baby name meanings">

Example:
    for http://www.adorablebabygifts.com/

<title>Baby gifts, unique baby gift baskets, clothing, jewelry, clothes, christening, personalized, mothers rings</title>

<meta name="DESCRIPTION"
    content="Unique baby gifts, baby clothing, baby jewelry, baby gift baskets, baby shower ideas, childrens jewelry, girls baby clothes christening gowns mothers rings and information on baby names.">

<meta name="KEYWORDS"
    content="baby gifts clothing girls baby clothes boys baby names mothers rings showers furniture crib strollers nursery rugs christening bracelets blankies silkys outfits blanket quilt girl bedding personalized">

Personalised spelling for the U.K.
    personalized spelling for the U.S.
    Also you may want to check on popularity of words and place the more popular words first. Multiple words are best. Check other sites and compare the site, title, description and keywords. Also check the site layout, their sale cart, how they go from item to sale, and the ease of checkout. Prices are not always the answer, sometimes the answer is simple or sometimes it escapes you. Marketing is part art and part science, meaning some of it is descriptive or knowledge, and part is just guessing.
    Some things work here and others work there, even the language is different.
    hope this helps
    falcon
    Many good Free Tutorials at:
    http://freetutorials.name

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i would change the colors, give it whites and baby blues and pinks. add more pictures, and get rid of some of the text on the left. i wasn't really sure what the site was selling upon entering.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your site looks great to me. I wish I had the placement you do. At the present time I am selling much more in my eBay store than on the website but am working hard to turn things around.

I hope you find the key - it sure isn't easy. Keep on trying...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the over all design of the site.

I seems that you have a good deal of text on your page that most moms in a hurry wouldnt have time to read.

I would also recommend you have your contact information on the home page do you have a customer service number?

Do you only accept paypal for payments? If not you need to get the card logos somewhere on the page.

When you add to cart it goes to a page outside the template. You have the same colors but no information on what I need to do also it doesnt have your site name on that page.

Have you tracking people on the site and figuring out where the exit point is?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i fully agree w/ beley
    it takes a lot of pages before actually getting to the shopping cart

and maybe more pictures of stuffs you're offerring in the frontpage?