SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Notice: This is a discussion thread for comments about the SitePoint article, phpBB3: Open Source Forum Software Evolved.

Perhaps a run-down of the features would have been more appropriate, instead of what's to come, and what's changed as far as the code goes. I have no interest in preparing code for SQL statements, but you may have interested me if you'd said what new features are in their for community owners.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the new semantical default ProSilver theme for phpBB3. I tried creating a design for SMF but gave up in disarray at the shear number of template files I had to edit by hand. By using a quality default theme, they will ensure that those who modify that theme into something else will at least be starting with a solid base unlike SMF which has a truly awful default theme.

I won't be bothering to switch from SMF to phpBB3 anytime soon though unless they can can catch up on the functionality front. PhpBB3 is still quite a way behind SMF, VBulletin etc. when it comes to out of the box features.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its a PHP software article, and I liked the focus on PHP usage improvments, and future developments.

I can go to phpbb.com for a current feature list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the chief concerns with phpBB2 was security, and was evidenced by the constant "critical" security patches. This article seems to focus on the actual PHP improvements, which was one of the overriding concerns to developers. Thank you for that - this article does serve a good purpose.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanhellyer View Post
    I love the new semantical default ProSilver theme for phpBB3. I tried creating a design for SMF but gave up in disarray at the shear number of template files I had to edit by hand. By using a quality default theme, they will ensure that those who modify that theme into something else will at least be starting with a solid base unlike SMF which has a truly awful default theme.
    If you dig deep, you'll find that SMF has a very ugly codebase, not solely the template system. What's that saying...a thousand monkeys at a thousand typewriters...

phpBB3 code is clean and elegant with each function focusing on specific functionality instead of multiple things as is the case with SMF.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanhellyer View Post
    I won't be bothering to switch from SMF to phpBB3 anytime soon though unless they can can catch up on the functionality front. PhpBB3 is still quite a way behind SMF, VBulletin etc. when it comes to out of the box features.
    phpBB3 seems to have more functionality than SMF. I don't know about vBulletin. phpBB3 is a major improvement over phpBB2. Consulting an outside security expert was a wise decision for the phpBB team given their prior track record of hacked forums.

xsimulator.net
    SitePoint Community Guest
    PHPbb3 means 3 times better than others !! yes Phpbb team launched a really good version conatins all possible features and still more to come wish all the best to Team and Thanks for this nice article .

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haven't taken a long look at v3, but a year ago my biggest phpBB problem was bot registrations, for which the built-in CAPTCHA was no match. I eventually found another MOD, but the built-in method needs to be top notch and customizeable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe I am just dim here, but it seems to me SMF 1.x has already implemented many of the features touted by phpBB3. SMF is imperfect, but it is light years ahead of phpBB2 in terms of usability, ESPECIALLY from the admin side.

As to phpBB3, I'll compare that to SMF2, which I believe is to be released soon. It will be interesting to see which of those two do come out on top.