SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Javascript - degrading gracefully

Most javascript/ajax-intensive applications I have worked on have required javascript and there was very little graceful degradation, if any at all.

Are there any sorts of techniques that people to use make the degrading easier to manage?

It seems that for a lot of things, double the work is needed. AJAX only needs to load core content while non-ajax would need to render a full page. Responses might be numeric codes, while for HTML full messages and such would be needed. Editing something in place would be much different than having to create a whole form to load the data and submit it through a javascript-less form...

Blabbering but I'm just thinking off my head, there are so many things that could be accomplished SO easily and cleanly with javascript, but to offer a non-JS option, it really takes quite a bit more to do...
    AskItOnline.com - Need answers? Ask it online.
    Create powerful online surveys with ease in minutes!
    Follow us on Twitter

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Graceful degradation for a page built to require JavaScript can be very hard. Progressive enhancement is a far superior method, in my opinion. Start with the bare-bones version that works everywhere, then add JavaScript to enhance and improve.

For Ajax-type apps, you can avoid a lot of the double work with careful planning. The code that responds to the Ajax call can also be used by the server-side app when JS is disabled or unsupported or blocked.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane