SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Active Record implementation for PHP

Hi,

I'm looking to learn more about the Active Record implementation in PHP. Any reason not to implement this (i know its not as pretty as it would be in ruby but its still a nice implementation)?

Books, sites, tutorials?

Thanks if advance for your recommendations.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont like Active Record at all, check out this link for further explanation

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Porte

Hi, you might want to check Porte by Adaltas which is a decent implementation and with a lot of tests to learn from. It is released under a BSD license

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a fantastic active record implementation on PHP, I don't think you can go past Doctrine: http://www.phpdoctrine.org/

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might also get interested in Limb3 ActiveRecord implementation(seems like it was inspired by Rails). Unfortunately, there's no English documentation atm(only Russian), but there are lot of tests which pretty much show what it's capable of - https://svn.limb-project.com/limb/3....d/tests/cases/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As always, I recommend ADOdb, which has a pretty good implementation of AR.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by myc View Post
    Actually, this article doesn't refute ActiveRecord at all -- it just explains why ActiveRecord is not the same as the Model in MVC pattern, and why do Rails, Cake and other patterns get it wrong.

In my internal framework I use ActiveRecord as well, but exactly for what it is -- a data layer abstraction. There is a separate model implementation (actually several of them, differing between various types of models, so I have a separate Collection abstract class), which is using AR as the way to communicate with the SQL server. When I needed to replace SQL with Amazon's SimpleDB, all I had to do is replace the AR with some new code, leaving the actual model's interface and usage intact.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by myc View Post
    But he is wrong. AR is very well suited to act as the M in MVC. Consider Fowlers definition of AR (emphasis mine):

An object that wraps a row in a database table or view, encapsulates the database access, and adds domain logic on that data.
    Active Record uses the most obvious approach, putting data access logic in the domain object.
    You can perfectly well use AR objects as domain objects, because they are just domain objects with encapsulated data access.

This guy homes in on the fact that AR is used for automatic persistence, hence he places it in the data access layer which he believes then automatically excludes it from domain logic. But it doesn't. AR is both, acting as a bridge between domain logic and data access. When using it from the domain logic side you don't see the data access. When using it from the data access side you don't see the domain logic side.

I think he is confused by the "gravity" of AR in Rails. The Rails AR implementation is really slick (also encapsulating relationships/associations) so you tend to think of Rails AR as the only way to make model objects.

But that is wrong. Rails webMVC does not demand that the M=AR. AR is just so often used as the M that a lot of developers tend to forget other types of M objects. You can use any other object as M objects. Could you use a data mapper instead? Sure, but you would then have to design the domain classes yourself (no help from the database schema).

Now, is AR the perfect pattern for the persistence layer? No it is not. The potential problem with AR is that it only works well when the database design is tightly coupled with the domain representation, i.e. when you as a developer has full control over the database design and can (and do) change it whenever the domain logic demands it. For at lot of projects this is not a concern at all, because the database is really only used for that particular website.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there any way we can make Honeymonster's last paragraph pop up any time anyone mentions ActiveRecord !!!??
    Zealotry is contingent upon 100 posts and addiction 200?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shea View Post
    For a fantastic active record implementation on PHP, I don't think you can go past Doctrine: http://www.phpdoctrine.org/
    Thanks to this post I found one of the best PHP Classes ever. This is the *BEST* ORM implementation. Efficient, fast and optimized.

I would go for it.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about
    PHP Code:
    <?php
    $sql 
    query(array(

'select' => '*',

'from' => 'table',

'where' => array('id''='1'AND''name''=''DomKiller')

'limit' => array('10,5')
    )
    );
    ?>

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've already used that way. But would change this bit:

PHP Code:
        'where' => array('id' => 1'name' => 'DomKiller'
    PHP Code:
        'where' => array('or' => array('id' => 1'name' => 'DomKiller'))