SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clearing problem in Internet Explorer 6?

Hi,

Please take a look at this testcase: http://skriblerier.net/div/ie6-problems.html

I've received feedback that the layout looks great in all browsers but Internet Explorer 6. Using a screenshot generator (I don't have access to IE 6 myself), I can see that the three columns don't get white background-color, and the border-top (1px solid) that should appear above the copyright line appears above everything. I believe this is a problem related to floated div's and the usage of clear, but it's kind of hard to say without being able to test while changing the code.

Is anyone able to easily see what's wrong and how to make sure the layout works like it does in all the other browsers I've tested in (Opera 9, IE 7, Safari, Fx)? Thanks in advance.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a hasLayout problem (see FAQ).
    Try to add height:1%; in .colmask

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adding height: 1%; in .colmask makes all the content disappear in IE 6 (ref. http://ivs.oleandreas.no/)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Removing <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> fixed the remaining issues in IE6

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, having ANYTHING above an XHTML DOCTYPE will force IE 6 into quirks mode. I don't recall if the same thing (such as white space) with an HTML 4 DOCTYPE will trip IE 6 or not, since I hardly ever use it anymore and I never leave anything above the DOCTYPE (even white space) anyway, sincei t just looks sloppy to me.