SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wouldn't it be great if we kept as good track of the money AFTER the government gets it?

Life is short. Be happy today! silver trophybronze trophy Sagewing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, are you gonna send the W9 or not? What's the verdict?
    The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods. Socrates

SAGEWING LLC - QUALITY WEB AND MOBILE APPS. PREMIUM OUTSOURCING SERVICES.
    Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | Google+

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some companies do not correctly handle W-9 issues. But if you do not complete the W-9 when requested, at a minimum, they can withhold taxes from the amount they pay you. This is required by the IRS PERIOD. Most major companies these days request a W-9 from all companies whether corporations or not, and some will not do business with a vendor until the W-9 has been received. Our company will not authorize our branches to do business with ANY vendor until they have provided us with a W-9.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We sent them the high resolution images only after they made a 50 advance payment against our invoice. It is pertinent to note that we have directly invoiced the trip organiser This transaction took place a month ago; yesterday they sent us an e-mail, informing us that more than half our images have not been used and expect a refund.

If they only paid you HALF of the original invoice then only used HALF of the photos, in my book that makes you even. No, I would not refund them.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sagewing and others,

I recently incorporated; before that I was working as a sole proprietor and was filling out W-9's. I am totally new to corporations and just starting to figure out the rules. A client of mine just asked for a W-9, I told him I was incorporated so he didn't need it, and he explains to me that it is a requirement of all payments. I assume he must be speaking of his company, not the law? Is there any downside to providing this to him? Why is it not required when the form does have a checkbox for incorporations? I am waiting for my Inc paperwork in the mail and it will have a Tax ID number, correct? Legally, what is it that I need to provide to clients, just the number but not in a W-9?

Thank you ahead of time for answering my questions!

Alexis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sillyauntie View Post
    Sagewing and others,

I recently incorporated; before that I was working as a sole proprietor and was filling out W-9's. I am totally new to corporations and just starting to figure out the rules. A client of mine just asked for a W-9, I told him I was incorporated so he didn't need it, and he explains to me that it is a requirement of all payments. I assume he must be speaking of his company, not the law? Is there any downside to providing this to him? Why is it not required when the form does have a checkbox for incorporations? I am waiting for my Inc paperwork in the mail and it will have a Tax ID number, correct? Legally, what is it that I need to provide to clients, just the number but not in a W-9?

Thank you ahead of time for answering my questions!

Alexis
    It is not required in most circumstances. However, there is theoretically nothing to be lost by having someone else inform the IRS that they made payments to you. That is, unless you will be cheating on your taxes.

Some large orgs require filing from everyone that they intend to pay, so that they don't have to bother figuring out who made more than $600, who is a corporation, etc.

For a client or small company, I generally refuse to send anything, however. My reason is simple: it's not required for a corp-to-corp transaction and every time a client has tried to 1099 me they screw it up with the wrong amount and that increases the chance that I have to deal with the IRS.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the response. I have one more question. As a corporation, the client is not supposed to 10-99 me, correct?
    I assumed that they still need to report that they paid me, but how do they go about doing that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sillyauntie View Post
    Thank you for the response. I have one more question. As a corporation, the client is not supposed to 10-99 me, correct?
    I assumed that they still need to report that they paid me, but how do they go about doing that?
    If they want to report payments to you, they'd use a 1099. There are some circumstances where they will have to, but generally they don't. Some companies insist on it, most do not.

Note that when they 1099 you a copy will be sent to both you and the IRS. Be sure that it's accurate, and if not you need to ask them to send an updated 1099 out.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to know.. I had thought it was reported some other way. This is all new to me. Thanks!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a graphic designer that own my own business, which is an LLC. Large clients keep requesting that I fill out W-9s in order to do business with them. I am questioning if I have to do this since I am an LLC? Also, I've been charging these companies sales tax even though I've filled out a W-9? Am I in the wrong for this? There are many companies that I deal with that don't require W-9's and I charge them sales tax as well that I report quarterly. Is there something that says as a graphic designer, all companies I deal with should require the W-9 from me and that I shouldn't have to charge them sales tax? Where is the line that is drawn as to whether I am selling a product (retail) that is taxed or selling a service and be forced to fill out a W9? I don't get it, but I want to make sure that I am taxing clients the correct way.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a UX designer which is similar. I've never heard of designers charging sales tax. I never have. What state are you in?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in Texas. On anything that you buy here, there is a sales tax.