SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face What am I missing in IE 5.5 float problem?

Hi. I've designed and programmed a site that is working well in almost all browsers including IE 5.5 except for one page. I just can't see what the problem is and would appreciate another eye on it.

The following link is the problem page. The centre content should line up with the top of the Nav and the Sidebar, but it doesn't in IE 5.5 - obviously the floats are in the content are pushing the content below the Nav, but why is it only happening on this page?

http://www.polokidogo.com/mosaik/rider.html

The other pages of the site are fine, eg:

http://www.polokidogo.com/mosaik/novice.html

which also has floated images, so I'm thinking the problem is something to do with the <ul>. But what?

Also, the site looks rubbish in IE 5.0. Is it worthwhile trying to get it looking right in this browser or is IE 5.5 "good enough". Personally I'd like it working in all browsers but am unsure what I need to put in my IE 5 stylesheet to get it working right. Is it to do with specifying widths for the columns?

Thanks in advance.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, it seems to be IE 5.0, 5.5 and 6.0. I can't see what I've done... any ideas? :-(

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, I've discovered that it's because I gave my #ponygallery a fixed width of 599px (trying to fix the layout in IE 5). Now I've given it a width of 100&#37; it is working.

The question I have is - why? Why would this make a difference? And what do I do for IE 5?!