User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast Redheadskater's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

google not indexing about 75% of site

Hi-

I have a client that is trying to break into a tough keyword area - drug rehab.

He has created a page for every state in the US:
    state-drug-rehab.php

For some reason, Google is skipping all of these files. I'm using a drop-down box with an on-click event and I had reservations that Google would skip it so I created a sitemap file (just a text file since I can't run a script on the server) and I uploaded it to my Google account.

I did this about 2-3 months ago and it didn't seem to have the affect that I wanted. I re-did the sitemap tonight so we'll see if that changes anything.

Now I'm wondering if I need to ditch the drop down box and just put a plain text link to a page that lists all 50 states.

The main navigation is all text links.

Can anyone tell me for sure if the drop-down and on-click event are messing with Google's ability to crawl this site?

Lisa

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    check meta tags

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    What on earth do meta tags have to do with it? Seriously now, that's just ridiculous advice.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy DaveWoods's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The dropdowns definitely won't be indexed by Google so you're relying on the sitemap as the only way of Google knowing that those pages exist.

If possibly, I'd ensure that you have text links to these individual pages as not only is Google more likely to follow them but you'll also have the added benefit of using the anchor text within these links to good effect.

It's a tricky one though as you need to be careful not to include too many links within a single page as it's quite possible that some may be ignored so you might be best thinking about splitting the state-drug-rehab pages up into areas of the country first and then from within this page focusing on each state (3 levels).

You should also where possible look at getting backlinks from other sites to each of the pages that you want to rank well for. This alone should get your pages listed although I'd personally think about the structure of your site as well to get maximum benefit.

(As for the meta tag suggestion above, ignore it... spend five minutes putting meta keywords in place for the very few smaller search engines that still use them and put a description in place that relates to the page that Google can use within it's SERP's but don't spend any more time than that as the major search engines don't use meta tags for giving any weight to a specific keyword.)

Hope that helps.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Use a CSS driven drop down so it is search engine friendly. Might also want to do a better job of linking to those pages. Interlinking within your own website is a big part of SEO and you should take advantage of it.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interlinking and links from other pages to the pages will help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spacehosting View Post
    check meta tags
    Well of course the meta tags are there.
    Lisa
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Time flies - it's up to you to be the navigator.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dave, Stymiee and rcj662-

Thanks for the really good suggestions.

I've got some thinking to do about this because I know the client wants this info to be above the fold, so I'd like to stick with the drop-down box and switching it to CSS shouldn't be that hard.

My second plan is to create a table-listing at the bottom of the page with regions of the US and Canada and that would help with the inter-linking. Actually, either way, interlinking is something that I need to work on anyway.

As for the inbound links - against my recommendations, he signed up with one of those link services that places his site in a bunch of directories, so, there are a bunch of incoming links now, but not high quality, relevant ones that he needs to boost his ranking.

Thanks again for the feedback.
    Lisa
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Time flies - it's up to you to be the navigator.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    One of my sites is now 2 years old as of this month. Google has only indexed about 25% of it. Yahoo has about 75% of it indexed. MSN-Live has indexed about 0.05% of it. lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cheesedude View Post
    One of my sites is now 2 years old as of this month. Google has only indexed about 25% of it. Yahoo has about 75% of it indexed. MSN-Live has indexed about 0.05% of it. lol
    Are all the sub-pages linked using <a>nchor text? How many levels down do the search engines have to go down to reach all the content? What's the PR of the root page?

Most of the sites I have are pretty much 100% indexed on Google. I try to ensure that all pages (at some point in time) are only 2 or 3 clicks away from the homepage and each level contains the links that I want Google to follow using <a>nchor text as it's the safest way to ensure that search engines will follow it.

This method seems to work for me so are you doing something different to this?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by csswiz View Post
    Are all the sub-pages linked using <a>nchor text? How many levels down do the search engines have to go down to reach all the content? What's the PR of the root page?
    The PR of the main page is PR1. The site also has a forum, posts are 3+ levels down from the main page.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cheesedude View Post
    The PR of the main page is PR1. The site also has a forum, posts are 3+ levels down from the main page.
    I'm not sure whether this is more coincidence but I have tended to find that the higher the PR the deeper the spiders tend to crawl.

This could obviously also be because, in the time it takes to get backlinks and for the PR to be updated, Google has taken the time to crawl deeper levels of pages.

But having said that, once the PR was up to around PR3, I've not generally had any problems adding content at around three levels down and finding that it's been indexed within a few days/couple of weeks at most.

Alternatively, aim to get backlinks direct into topics in the forum and at other deeper levels within your site as Google will definitely pick up on these at some point and index the pages that are linked to (aslong as nofollow isn't used).

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by csswiz View Post
    I'm not sure whether this is more coincidence but I have tended to find that the higher the PR the deeper the spiders tend to crawl.
    That is true.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bluedreamer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redheadskater View Post
    I've got some thinking to do about this because I know the client wants this info to be above the fold...
    The "fold" on a web page is a myth - the web is not like print