SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SitePoint Book question: Simply Javascript - Accessing style class of an element

Hi All,

I learning javascript on my own, and I recently purchased the book "Simply Javascript" from Sitepoint and have read up to ch. 4. It's a great book and I recommend it to anyone learning JS. My questions are probably are simple, however, I'm having trouble finding the answers. I don't know if I'm missing something in the book or what.

1.) Using the DOM element k, how would I access the style class assigned to it?

On page 74, it says
    Unfortunately, no built-in DOM function lets you get elements by class...
    then the book shows you how to create a custom one you can include in your custom Core library.

However on page 77 it reads
    Every element node has a className property, which corresponds directly to that element's class attribute in the HTML.
    I am confused. Can I access the style class assigned to a DOM element k? How would I code this?

Also, using the same DOM element k, how would I access the style property for background color? How would I code this?

All help is appreciated!

Unobtrusively zen silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rchqrd View Post
    Can I access the style class assigned to a DOM element k? How would I code this?
    A class is made up of style declarations.
    The DOM doesn't handle classes because they are an html only thing, whereas the DOM handles styles instead.
    It's not a good idea to use javascript to change styles because that crosses the presentation/behaviour boundary. This is why it's better to change the classname instead, so that management of the presentation stays on the css side of things.

Be aware too of a certain issue. If a css class is set for an element, that doesn't set the styles for it so they will all still be empty, until you explicitly set the style from a script. This is another good reason to use the class names instead.

Anyway, to answer your question

Code CSS:
    .hidden {
        display: none;
    }

Code Javascript:
    var elem = document.getElementById('myID');
    elem.style.display = 'none'; // set style
    elem.style.display = ''; // clear style
    elem.className = 'hidden'; // set class
    elem.className = ''; // clear class

Quote Originally Posted by rchqrd View Post
    Also, using the same DOM element k, how would I access the style property for background color? How would I code this?
    The scripted access to styles uses the same names as the css property names with one caveat, hyphens in a name can be confused for a minus sign, so instead of that, Javascript uses camelCase instead.
    Last edited by paul_wilkins; Jan 23, 2008 at 13:48.
    Programming Group Advisor
    Reference: JavaScript, Quirksmode Validate: HTML Validation, JSLint
    Car is to Carpet as Java is to JavaScript

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, PW, for your detailed reply. I definitely agree with keeping presentation, behaviour and content separate, and that is what I plan to do, if I create the code from scratch. However, when I look through various code on the web (and in books), things are done in a variety of ways, and I'm just trying to understand what I am looking at. The variety makes me curious and I start trying to do new things (from my noob standpoint, probably not new to you guys here).

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated!!