SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow what to start first?

i know this is not such a good question but still I would like to ask, what to start first with ruby or just go to ruby on rails, i know that rails is a framework for ruby, but shouldn't start first with ruby and learn all the methods, classes etc and then go to rails or it will be much easy to go to ruby on rails from the beginning..... i am interested more in web application to be honest.....

thanks for your time....

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started by having a read through the first half of "Programming Ruby" via one of the on line versions. I think that made it a little easier to pick up Rails, but it is certainly not essential. Most Rails books go through the Ruby basics.

However, I am finding that the more I work with Rails, the more I'm finding that improving my knowledge of Ruby methods and workings is more productive than advanced understanding of Rails. That may be just a personal experience and may not match other people's experience, but my gut feeling is that the best strategy is to start with Rails and then go into more depth with Ruby.

In other words, starting with Rails is fine, but be prepared to study core Ruby as you advance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i c, well i have did the same thing like u did with Programming Ruby, I am still reading it but now I have start to read a new book which is called Rails Solutions - Ruby On Rails Made Easy (2007) and is exactly like you said, take u through the ruby methods, classes etc as well.... so i think my opinion is go ahead with rails from the beginning. Some ppl say that is better to start with ruby and later with Rails....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ruby for Rails is another good book for your situation. I suggest you try using Ruby to automate boring, trivial tasks to give you more familiarity with the syntax. After all it was created to be a replacement for Perl, hence the name.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ruby-lang View Post
    Ruby for Rails is another good book for your situation.
    I presume you mean the David Black book. I have to admit that I bought it, looked through it and thought "great book", and it's never left my bookshelf again.

The advanced books I've found most useful are:
    • The Ruby Way by Hal Fulton
    • Ruby Cookbook by Lucas Carlson and Leonard Richardson
    • Enterprise Integration with Ruby by Maik Schmidt
    • Pro ActiveRecord by Kevin Marshall

Saying that, the book that hits my desktop most often is still Pragamatic's Programming Ruby, Second edition by Dave Thomas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cool, thanks for the advice , i will try to read those books, but now let me finish this ones.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to admit to being a bit of a book worm. A lot of people would not want to have as many reference books as I find myself wanting.

BTW, another reason why I have found advanced Ruby books more useful than advanced Rails books, is because api.rubyonrails.com is so good. I rarely need to look up a function behaviour elsewhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is interesting........

SitePoint Enthusiast shashank_hi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Nueva

I've started learning about Ruby recently. My main purpose is to write actual programs in Ruby and not web development necessarily. However, my speculation is that knowing the language will give you a better understanding of the framework that's built on it. Besides, learning Ruby is SOOOO easy if you've learned any other high-level programming language that you'd not even want to discuss that.