SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

some url effect question

well we have some url(in keyword) and its effect in seo question

1) Well despite of all debates we have notice that keyword in url does prove to be handy and sometimes prove to be easist way to get in upper pages in serp(some may disagree but we have experienced it so....with proofs)

suppose there is a keyword "surfing in usa" ..most people in search will use it with spaces ie surfing in usa.....in seeach engine now the question is

will the url name surfinginusa.com and surfing-in-usa.com has same effect....(we have read that - refers to space for SE)
    so rather than surfinginusa (with no space) it should have matched with (surfing-in-usa.com)...theoritically...

so whats is it truth?
    is it perceived that way by SE or it is taken as three diff keywords..ie "surfing" ,"in" and "usa"

?2) Well i have never seen a seo tutorial that says .com is better than .org or .net ..and so on ..or even country domains...

but in reality why is that we see .net ,.org sites less in top in comparision to .com site...for major keywords ..there is always a .net or .org site...for that keyword...

so why is that

thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) It's true, '-' is translated as a space as far as search engines go. However if your domain is www.surfinginusa.com it will still have a positive affect when people search for "Surfing in USA". And most likely the same affect as if your domain was www.surfing-in-usa.com, since search egines know that there cannot be real spaces in domains, and that words are almost always strung together without spaces.

2) I remember Matt Cutts once confirming that the domain extension has no effect on rankings. .com is not better than any other.

The reason you see more .com in SERPs (Search Engine Result Pages) is most likely because .com is by far the most common domain extension.

Simple as that.
    Honda Civic Forum - UK Civic Forum
    Web Host Reviews - Independent, honest host reviews
    My Portfolio - Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alecrust View Post
    1) It's true, '-' is translated as a space as far as search engines go. However if your domain is www.surfinginusa.com it will still have a positive affect when people search for "Surfing in USA". And most likely the same affect as if your domain was www.surfing-in-usa.com, since search egines know that there cannot be real spaces in domains, and that words are almost always strung together without spaces.

2) I remember Matt Cutts once confirming that the domain extension has no effect on rankings. .com is not better than any other.

The reason you see more .com in SERPs (Search Engine Result Pages) is most likely because .com is by far the most common domain extension.

Simple as that.
    it is proven that - has same effect ...should one go for - website url targeting a keyword....

thanks for answer
    but i dont think it is not bcoz of number that .com is coming front...
    as i also say ..i have not seen anybody say .com is superior but i have never found in reality and .com comes much high where as .net are much in lower page...even keyword url for major keyword...

thanks for answer

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think most .com have been registered longer and have more pr than .net that is why they list higher most of the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frank. By far the majority of domains are .com. Trust me, this is the reason.

Do you mean it has been proven that "-" is better than no space in domains? I'm sorry, I don't believe you. Prove it

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sorry, but that's just not true at all. Read the Search Engine Optimization FAQ to see why.

Do you mean it has been proven that "-" is better than no space in domains? I'm sorry, I don't believe you. Prove it
    Read the faq to see why dashes are good for SEO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee
    Sorry, but that's just not true at all. Read the Search Engine Optimization FAQ to see why.
    Interesting. I withdraw my statement

Quote Originally Posted by stymiee
    Read the faq to see why dashes are good for SEO.
    I know, they are, but I have read they only have an affect on directorys, like http://www.sitename.com/these-are-keywords/ is better than http://www.sitename.com/thesearekeywords/ and not on domains. So http://www.keywords-are-cool.com/ is the same SEO-wise as http://www.keywordsarecool.com/.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It applies to the entire URL. Domain name and all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rcj662 View Post
    I think most .com have been registered longer and have more pr than .net that is why they list higher most of the time.
    i agree with it to some extent
    but at the same time i have seen the domain of same age ..where .com has climbed much and .net and .org lagging much behind

experts says it is not right but i think it is

and people say .edu and .gov sites are not given any prioroty we have seen a gov site of our country given pr 6 with in 6
    months of launch

Interesting. I withdraw my statement

I know, they are, but I have read they only have an affect on directorys, like http://www.sitename.com/these-are-keywords/ is better than http://www.sitename.com/thesearekeywords/ and not on domains. So http://www.keywords-are-cool.com/ is the same SEO-wise as http://www.keywordsarecool.com/.
    i have seen for the first time somebody withdrawing stat after mr stymee points
    any way never mind

but i think that the keyword in url is much powerful than keyword in foldername and filename

this is experienced facts and we do have lots of examples as well

i dont agree with it..that most domain are .com
    suppose for keyword there are all domains .net ,.org,.,info
    and we have seen in most cases .com domain comes first ..
    we have this experience even for some of our domains

thanks for your thoughts

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frank1 View Post
    i agree with it to some extent
    but at the same time i have seen the domain of same age ..where .com has climbed much and .net and .org lagging much behind
    And that's because of the countless other factors affecting those webpages. Not because of the TLD. Just because one ranks higher then another and has a different TLD doesn't mean the TLD is the reason. That's like seeing a red car go faster then a blue car and saying all red cars are faster then all blue cars.

experts says it is not right but i think it is
    Unfortunately the evidence is to the contrary.

and people say .edu and .gov sites are not given any prioroty we have seen a gov site of our country given pr 6 with in 6
    months of launch
    PR is based solely on link popularity. Being a PR6 in six months is easy if you gets lots of links in that time. There's no special awards or bonuses with PR.