SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,
    My ISP Provides me with SQL Server 7 with my website package. I am developing a VB Based software which allows users to copy that data (Invoice/Customer/Products) from the website to QuickBooks Pro. I am able to get with QBP and Access, But VB is just not connecting to SQL on my ISPs Machine. Anyone can HELP ?. Any Anyone help reg. SQL Server connectivity or Syncronization Alogrithm. I need it very badly.
    Thankx,

ASHISH

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your ISP should have listening for TCP/IP connections enabled in SQL Server. I don't think they have it because you don't need it when connecting from local server. Also if they have it you should have SQL Server client installed on your system with TCP/IP enabled. If all this done there should be no problem connecting to it through ODBC.

Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by ailon (edited February 16, 2000).]

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi & Thankx for the Help,
    The Problem is: I tried connecting thru SQL Server Client... It Gets connected but its not connecting thru ADO either from the WEBSITE nor from my Desktop using VB
    PLEASE HELP.

- ASHISH
    PS: Also with the Syncronization Alog.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry Ashish but I'm not very compitent in the subject. I did something like this about 2 years ago with SQL Server 6.5, VB5, DAO through ODBC and I had no problem. If it's acceptable for you to connect through ODBC try doing it first through some software like MSQuery, maybe you'll be able to discover the problem. I can't see the reason why this shouldn't work if it works with sql server tools.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thankx for that,
    I guess there is some problem with my ISP. Please let me know if there are any syncronization Alogrithms Available or any one to guide me ??

ASHISH

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you thought about using RDS (remote data services) provided by microsoft to handle your synchronization issues? I haven't researched it much yet but it allows you to access SQL, host some information on the clients machine and makes it all seamless at the same time. WROX PRESS has a few books out on the subject and how to use it with ASP. I think this may be a better solution than trying to hardwire everything yourself.

------------------
    Wayne Luke
    Internet Media Provider

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you mean by synchronization algorithm?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    Syncronization Alogrithm.
    I have three ACCESS databases and the they are updated individually in different locations. Now there is a time when i have to make all the three databases as the same. The records added by any user on any database shouldbe added everywhere and records updated/deleted should also be reflected everywhere.
    I want to know how do i solve this.

Thankx in advance.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ashish: that is what I actually was trying to do.. actually my task was a bit more complicated cause the data needed to be passed with some specific changes, etc. wluke is right, if you try do to it yourself you probably end with some thing you haven't thought of before starting. That was in my case and I haven't thought about some serious possibilities like broken/deleted access database etc.

The thing you call "synchronization algorithm" is actually called "replication" and there are special tools for it in SQL server and there's something in Access with some limitations I don't recall now. Look in your Access help for term "replication" for more info. It's quite possible that standard solution will satisfy your needs. If not, think carefully before starting any developement cause it's quite difficult to foresee all the upcoming issues and you probably wont be able to fix anything when you'll discover the problem.