SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 67
  1. #26
    Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Shaun(OfTheDead)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Trinidad
    Posts
    3,746
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fortunette
    But I think that the idea of 'link bait' goes a little bit further than just 'good content'. It is more like, 'extra bonus content' that is not really the point of the site, that attracts links, so that the people might eventually find the real content.
    Yeah but then does that even make sense??

    All a "baited" visitor would be interested in is the "extra bonus content". They'd leave as soon as they got what they came for and still miss the real content... still miss what you wanted them to see.

    What you think ??




    Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

    Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

  2. #27
    Object Not Found junjun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    northern MI
    Posts
    1,392
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun(OfTheDead) View Post
    All a "baited" visitor would be interested in is the "extra bonus content". They'd leave as soon as they got what they wanted and still miss the real content.
    I agree. That is why I would consider it short term SEO in most cases, unless you're able to tie it in with other aspects of the website once you get the visitor there. For example how to convert some of of the stumbleupon traffic to repeat visitors.

  3. #28
    SitePoint Addict nueva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Uk, London
    Posts
    228
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why is that?

  4. #29
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    74
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun(OfTheDead) View Post
    Yeah but then does that even make sense??

    All a "baited" visitor would be interested in is the "extra bonus content". They'd leave as soon as they got what they came for and still miss the real content... still miss what you wanted them to see.

    What you think ??
    Yes, I do think it is a possibility that a large portion of the viewers of the hypothetical site come only for the articles and tutorials, but I would not agree that it's that implies wasted effort. In my example, the site owner has a primary goal of getting hired, and a secondary goal of getting their name out there.

    The links to tutorials and case studies will presumably come from art focused sites, and give the artist credibility and possibly lead to some contacts that leads to referrals. People coming to the site from the links will see that she's a good artist and start to link her just for that, but they never would have found the site if it were not for the bait.

    Yes, it is indeed a very small portion of all the visitors that have sites with which to even link the person, but it's still very targeted. The 'bad' visitors who just want to read the bait and close the page are still within the targeted groups, or else they wouldn't be interested in the content. And if that's the case then it accomplishes her goal of getting her name out there (to a small degree).

    At the very least, the artist's portfolio would appear closer to the top of Google for searches like 'freelance artist [location]'.

    I do agree that it would be very un-useful for the person in the example to put up an article on, say, the new Macbook Air, though. That would be conducive to a person just reading the article and not looking at the portfolio, because she'd now be linked from Mac and gadget sites, and baiting the wrong kind of visitors.

  5. #30
    Object Not Found junjun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    northern MI
    Posts
    1,392
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nueva View Post
    why is that?
    If that was a reply to me, I'm not sure what you are referring to.

  6. #31
    Error 404: Life not found silver trophybronze trophy
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    UK Nr Manchester
    Posts
    3,460
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by junjun View Post
    I agree. That is why I would consider it short term SEO in most cases, unless you're able to tie it in with other aspects of the website once you get the visitor there. For example how to convert some of of the stumbleupon traffic to repeat visitors.
    You're forgetting the point of linkbaiting, which is purely to get links for SERP relevancy boosts, not long term repeat visitors from the places doing the linking (although if he gets those too, all the better). That's why it's called linkbaiting and not 'good content adding', and why it's just one tactic in an SEOs arsenal.

    By the way, I don't need an explanation of why he should he trying to get long term repeat visitors and focusing on good quality content, before somebody gives me one.
    It's 530 people, but do you really get it?
    ImgWebDesign - Web design in Buxton, High Peak, Derbyshire UK.

  7. #32
    SitePoint Addict nueva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Uk, London
    Posts
    228
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have read the whole post which fortunette and is very interesting in what he or she said, and about you, you said that both are good, content and link bait as well, and i asked why.....because from my side of view just the content is good.....

    or maybe u think that the link bait is good because it will increase your PR, is that right? or why?

  8. #33
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    74
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, nueva. I didn't know that you were asking me. (I'm still not really sure.)
    Quote Originally Posted by nueva View Post
    I have read the whole post which fortunette and is very interesting in what he or she said
    She, thanks.
    , and about you, you said that both are good, content and link bait as well, and i asked why.....because from my side of view just the content is good.....

    or maybe u think that the link bait is good because it will increase your PR, is that right? or why?
    The reason that I think that link bait is different enough from 'good content' (in writing) that it deserves its own term is because, in a fully non-linked internet, a good blog would still be full of good writing content/link bait, and a good artist portfolio would have not have much added value by having the good writing content from my example.

  9. #34
    Object Not Found junjun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    northern MI
    Posts
    1,392
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by JJMcClure View Post
    You're forgetting the point of linkbaiting, which is purely to get links for SERP relevancy boosts, not long term repeat visitors from the places doing the linking (although if he gets those too, all the better). That's why it's called linkbaiting and not 'good content adding', and why it's just one tactic in an SEOs arsenal.
    True, but if you focus on quality content...


    Couldn't help myself, sorry. Good post! I'm seeing link baiting a little different.

  10. #35
    He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Slave I
    Posts
    23,424
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fortunette View Post
    Yes, I do think it is a possibility that a large portion of the viewers of the hypothetical site come only for the articles and tutorials, but I would not agree that it's that implies wasted effort. In my example, the site owner has a primary goal of getting hired, and a secondary goal of getting their name out there.

    The links to tutorials and case studies will presumably come from art focused sites, and give the artist credibility and possibly lead to some contacts that leads to referrals. People coming to the site from the links will see that she's a good artist and start to link her just for that, but they never would have found the site if it were not for the bait.

    Yes, it is indeed a very small portion of all the visitors that have sites with which to even link the person, but it's still very targeted. The 'bad' visitors who just want to read the bait and close the page are still within the targeted groups, or else they wouldn't be interested in the content. And if that's the case then it accomplishes her goal of getting her name out there (to a small degree).

    At the very least, the artist's portfolio would appear closer to the top of Google for searches like 'freelance artist [location]'.

    I do agree that it would be very un-useful for the person in the example to put up an article on, say, the new Macbook Air, though. That would be conducive to a person just reading the article and not looking at the portfolio, because she'd now be linked from Mac and gadget sites, and baiting the wrong kind of visitors.
    You're not describing link bait. You're just talking about trying to get visitors to the site without caring if they link to the content or not.

  11. #36
    Non-Member Waraas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Idaho Falls, Idaho
    Posts
    350
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nueva View Post
    Well I have read it an article on seochat about link bait, my question to you is what you think about link bait, is it good for your site or not, some say it is some say is not....
    what is the risk here?


    Regards Dan,

    Linkbait is great, it jump starts your natural links. Since all the blogs and forums that will be talking about you will be related, ussally the links are pretty high quality.

    Link bait cant hurt you, unless you build links too fast, that will get you penalized. But you dont have to worry about that unless your site is pretty new and you get like 2k links in 24 hours.

    The question would be..why wouldn't link bait be good? John chow and shoemoney use it all the time and they do 30k a month. So who ever says its stupid or worthless is crazy haha.

    Edit: Im not linking my own website or anything, but I think its funny. My recent post on my blog is talking about how google has penaltys for building links to fast, and that article got stumbled today, so far im at 1500 uniques today... can you say linkbait? haha. It got me about 20 blogs linking to it today. All related and great quality. People seem to like story's about google, don't know why

  12. #37
    SitePoint Member webguylive_com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    www.webguylive.com
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many companies, including the big ones Microsoft Google Yahoo etc, are using link baiting techniques to attract audience for their sites. It's just an advertising method. I see there's nothing wrong with it.
    WEBGUYLive | explore the possibilities
    www.webguylive.com

  13. #38
    SitePoint Evangelist MrCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    494
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of views on link baiting. Whether it be quality content, video, etc. - bottom line is that in able for your link bait to get attention and do its purpose, IMO, it needs to be unique and not available elsewhere.
    ClickXposure.com - PPC Management

  14. #39
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    173
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nueva, you need your url in your info so the readers can go to your site, so how can it be bad?

  15. #40
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    89
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    link bait is good if your linking to a credible and quality site. it's not only beneficial to blogs but also in viral marketing

  16. #41
    He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Slave I
    Posts
    23,424
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by webguylive_com View Post
    Many companies, including the big ones Microsoft Google Yahoo etc, are using link baiting techniques to attract audience for their sites. It's just an advertising method. I see there's nothing wrong with it.
    Actually large sites like Microsoft,Yahoo, and Google do not use linkbait. Smaller sites trying to get attention do.

    Quote Originally Posted by cedricvc View Post
    link bait is good if your linking to a credible and quality site. it's not only beneficial to blogs but also in viral marketing
    Linkbait rarely makes a site seem credible. In fact often times linkbait is inflammatory and controversial. They do this as that tends to get to most attention.

  17. #42
    Error 404: Life not found silver trophybronze trophy
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    UK Nr Manchester
    Posts
    3,460
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee View Post
    Linkbait rarely makes a site seem credible. In fact often times linkbait is inflammatory and controversial. They do this as that tends to get to most attention.
    Yeah, that's a great linkbaiting technique. Not that I'd be comfortable with anything inflammatory and controversial of course, not me...
    It's 530 people, but do you really get it?
    ImgWebDesign - Web design in Buxton, High Peak, Derbyshire UK.

  18. #43
    SitePoint Enthusiast jhnrang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    India
    Posts
    46
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigalreturns View Post
    Stymiee, while I agree that for the most part linkbait does just equate to good content, I think it also implies something slightly more. Specifically, you are looking at a targetted group of users, more targetted than your site's userbase, and writing content specifically tailored towards them. As an example, writing a good piece about x is just good content, but writing "The Top Ten Features of x" is not just good content, but specifically tailored towards a specific social media site.
    I can see how you might still see this as just good content writing, but I think it's a reasonable distinction to make - with linkbait the aim is to present equally good content in a way that specifically appeals to a certain demographic, rather than just writing good content.

    I agree with you on all your points. Linkbait or what Stymiee refers to Good content is certainly the way to go now after Google's crackdown on paid links.

    To cite my personal experiences over the last few months - it has been hell lot of thinking and writing and blogging on my main sites. Slowly but surely 1/2 links are coming through, traffic is also improving due to contents.

    But, one must first decide on strategies taking into consideration of lot of factors like target group, retunrs ect.

    Another aspect of link-bait should be creating the buzz and doing special offers amongst targeted communities who would give a link if the find the site useful.

  19. #44
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    44
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Arrow Long Term Value

    Focusing on the long-term value of a site requires good solid content and
    making your visitor come back for more. When others to link to you because of good content, I would consider that a "vote" for you. I think your visitor would call it good content, and your linker would be calling it bait

  20. #45
    He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Slave I
    Posts
    23,424
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Star Ent. View Post
    ...and your linker would be calling it bait
    Actually the linker would be calling it "a site worth sending their visitors to because it is a good resource and reflects well upon them to share it with them".

  21. #46
    SitePoint Addict nueva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Uk, London
    Posts
    228
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    junjun how different do you see the link bait...

    BlueMoon32 some people say that is bad because you can be banned from search engines. that's why i have start it this post too, if is good or bad, i have read an article about that and i was curios about it and to see people's opinions.

  22. #47
    SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy hooperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    4,301
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't get banned simply from publishing content that attracts links, whether or not you call it 'link bait'.

  23. #48
    Object Not Found junjun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    northern MI
    Posts
    1,392
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nueva View Post
    junjun how different do you see the link bait...
    I guess different people see link baiting with a little different eyes. My comment was based on this quote:
    the point of linkbaiting, which is purely to get links for SERP relevancy boosts
    I don't think this is true. It is certainly not true for the linkbaiting I've done which is for:
    1. Getting linked in Social networking/bookmarking websites. This gives a quick exposure to the right people.
    2. A way of getting some quick viral marketing outside social websites. Fast and broad exposure again to the target audience.

    Quick and short term. SERP's was actually not a consideration at all. But then again maybe some people would not call this linkbaiting at all. Someone should define this term.

  24. #49
    Error 404: Life not found silver trophybronze trophy
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    UK Nr Manchester
    Posts
    3,460
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by junjun View Post
    I guess different people see link baiting with a little different eyes. My comment was based on this quote:
    I don't think this is true. It is certainly not true for the linkbaiting I've done which is for:
    1. Getting linked in Social networking/bookmarking websites. This gives a quick exposure to the right people.
    2. A way of getting some quick viral marketing outside social websites. Fast and broad exposure again to the target audience.

    Quick and short term. SERP's was actually not a consideration at all. But then again maybe some people would not call this linkbaiting at all. Someone should define this term.
    Fair enough, perhaps there's a compromise. Whatever the reason you're doing it, the idea is to get links.

    You've changed my mind about it now, but I think I'll just focus on providing quality content
    It's 530 people, but do you really get it?
    ImgWebDesign - Web design in Buxton, High Peak, Derbyshire UK.

  25. #50
    SitePoint Addict nueva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Uk, London
    Posts
    228
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    but this is all about in the end, good content and you will get good traffic...... because in the end we all look for good quality web sites....

    and i think you are agree with me.......


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •