SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Linkbait, is good or not?

Well I have read it an article on seochat about link bait, my question to you is what you think about link bait, is it good for your site or not, some say it is some say is not....
    what is the risk here?

Regards Dan,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The easiest way to broadcast yourself in youtube especially if you've some great idea.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    IMHO, linkbait is a silly concept. Linkbait is content that is designed to attract links. Shouldn't good content do that anyway? Saying you have link bait is like saying you finally wrote some good copy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee View Post
    IMHO, linkbait is a silly concept. Linkbait is content that is designed to attract links. Shouldn't good content do that anyway? Saying you have link bait is like saying you finally wrote some good copy.
    I do agree with that...somehow...

A good link bait campaign might give you a boost from time to time. However if not done properly it might come back to your site like a boomerang and shed a bad light on it.

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Saying you have link bait is like saying you finally wrote some good copy.
    tee hee

i wonder what else the brilliant minds in the SEO space will come up with to describe what everyone should be doing already anyway

how about "smart coding" to describe semantic markup

"honest minimalism" to describe avoiding keyword spamming

the possibilities are endless...
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the same like stymiee does, if you have good content then why do u need link bait? some ppl say this can effect your web site as well ... is this true? in what way can effect it or why does it effect? is this spam too?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by loredan View Post
    I do agree with that...somehow...

A good link bait campaign might give you a boost from time to time. However if not done properly it might come back to your site like a boomerang and shed a bad light on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by nueva View Post
    I think the same like stymiee does, if you have good content then why do u need link bait? some ppl say this can effect your web site as well ... is this true? in what way can effect it or why does it effect? is this spam too?
    Linkbait isn't anything special. There's nothing wrong with it because it's just regular content. The difference that some people seem to assess to it is that they wrote it specifically hoping it will attract links. The point I am making is that your regular content should also be attracting links. If it isn't, then it probably isn't very good content.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do agree with good quality content does attract natural linking in the sense that it can be serve as a linkbait as well

But there are other ways of link baiting - videos, jokes, interviews, etc.
    Link baits are favorable once they get the job done, i.e. getting natural backlinks from them. The fallback I could think of is when it gets linked by bad neighborhood site
    ClickXposure.com - PPC Management

Error 404: Life not found silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrCat View Post
    I do agree with good quality content does attract natural linking in the sense that it can be serve as a linkbait as well

But there are other ways of link baiting - videos, jokes, interviews, etc.
    Link baits are favorable once they get the job done, i.e. getting natural backlinks from them. The fallback I could think of is when it gets linked by bad neighborhood site
    You're not getting it.

Plus the thing about bad neighbourhoods is just wrong, it doesn't matter who links to you.
    It's 530 people, but do you really get it?
    ImgWebDesign - Web design in Buxton, High Peak, Derbyshire UK.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bigalreturns's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stymiee, while I agree that for the most part linkbait does just equate to good content, I think it also implies something slightly more. Specifically, you are looking at a targetted group of users, more targetted than your site's userbase, and writing content specifically tailored towards them. As an example, writing a good piece about x is just good content, but writing "The Top Ten Features of x" is not just good content, but specifically tailored towards a specific social media site.
    I can see how you might still see this as just good content writing, but I think it's a reasonable distinction to make - with linkbait the aim is to present equally good content in a way that specifically appeals to a certain demographic, rather than just writing good content.
    "The proper function of man is to live - not to exist."
    Get a Free TomTom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigalreturns View Post
    Stymiee, while I agree that for the most part linkbait does just equate to good content, I think it also implies something slightly more. Specifically, you are looking at a targetted group of users, more targetted than your site's userbase, and writing content specifically tailored towards them. As an example, writing a good piece about x is just good content, but writing "The Top Ten Features of x" is not just good content, but specifically tailored towards a specific social media site.
    I can see how you might still see this as just good content writing, but I think it's a reasonable distinction to make - with linkbait the aim is to present equally good content in a way that specifically appeals to a certain demographic, rather than just writing good content.
    It's hair splitting, Stymie has his 'good content' perspective, other people have their 'SEO' perspective, it amounts to the same thing.

If calling it linkbait is what you need to do to write useful content, well, whatever works for you.

The thread could easily have been called 'is writing good content a good idea'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that it's a very fine line between good content and linkbait, and of course people were writing "linkbait" articles long before the phrase was ever coined. All I'm saying is that if someone said they were writing good content, and someone else said they were writing linkbait, the two would have slightly different meanings to me.
    Get a Free TomTom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigalreturns View Post
    ll I'm saying is that if someone said they were writing good content, and someone else said they were writing linkbait, the two would have slightly different meanings to me.
    What would those meanings be?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reasons outlined in my first post in this thread - i.e. specifically targetting a specified demographic.
    Get a Free TomTom

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JJMcClure View Post
    The thread could easily have been called 'is writing good content a good idea'.
    That's my point exactly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's my point exactly.
    I know mate, I do get where you're coming from.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good content is more important !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    same here, all the time i have to say good content good traffic....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I initially thought the same way... but with all the different social networking sites around nowadays i associate link bait with "Top 10 lists" etc created for the sole purpose of getting on the digg frontage
    Heavens Rejects : Online Clothing Store
    Alternative Clothing : Mr Blonde
    Front end development : By the Webfella

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my view, both - good content and linkbait are important

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on the content in question and the intention behind it - but one advantage with social linking and meritocracy based sites is that the dull and unworthy content generally sinks to the bottom, and of course the good, well crafted stuff will float to the top. So content is still king!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nice_cheese View Post
    Good content is more important !
    Yeah, content is important, but you also need tons of backlinks to rank well (if you're targetting a competitive niche).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by and5rey View Post
    Yeah, content is important, but you also need tons of backlinks to rank well (if you're targetting a competitive niche).
    And the best way to get the links you need is with great content.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The term 'link baiting' should imply that it's not entirely synonymous to writing good content. Good content is written with good content in mind. This usually generates inbound links and all sorts of goodieness. Link bait is created with the inbound links as a primary goal, anything to grab peoples attention. This implies that content 'quality' is secondary in link baiting. So for anyone that thinks that quality content is the unequaled long term SEO strategy, link baiting would just be a short term sidetrack.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that 'good content' (for writing) is the essence of what SEO people are now calling 'link bait'. But I think that the idea of 'link bait' goes a little bit further than just 'good content'. It is more like, 'extra bonus content' that is not really the point of the site, that attracts links, so that the people might eventually find the real content.

For instance, someone's portfolio site. The 'real' content of the site would be their resume and their work. The artist could make the best portfolio and resume on the internet and only get a few links from CSS galleries for their main site design, and some from link exchanges with friends and colleagues.

But to get extra links from blogs and social bookmarks, they might add some 'bonus content' (content that doesn't enrich their portfolio), or link bait.
    Like generalized case studies and tutorials for other artists, and articles on 'the hidden cost of not hiring an artist' for business types.

The difference between this and just writing better on a writing-related site is that putting up this content doesn't enrich the artist's portfolio, it might even take some time away that she could be using to put more art in her portfolio.

The only reason for it is to to supplement the actual content to attract links, so that people will see come in to read the link bait, but then see the 'real' content later on (or improve her SERP).