SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Question About LinkBacks

I study SEO awhile back and I thought I understood it, however I was talking to a client yesterday and I found I had a hard time explaining why he was in the the top page ranks of Google and Yahoo.

He is a local business and has links on his site to search engines like Google, Yahoo, Alta Vista as well as to services like Call Wave, EFAX, instant Messengers etc. Now the name of his company is pretty common and his domain isn't even registered under that, but yet if you stick his full business name in he is #1 on all the search engines. I told him I thought it was because he had all these links to the major services that propelled him in the standings. As well as the fact that he has alot of text with major keywords in it, since he is an internet/web hosting company.

His response was well but I don't know who these companies are and they are not giving me any advertising or giving me a link back to my company. This is where I got a little confused. I tryed to tell him well because these are major companies just by having their name on your website as well as a link that they propelled him in the page rank standings, because alot of people do searches for those companies.

Am I right?? Can somebody please explain a little better links and linkbacking.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I'm beginning to see why this may have been a silly question. The best I can firgue is that names will always come up high in the rankings, however his business is linked high at all with any important keywords.

Yes???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, relevant links contribute a big part of being ranked well.

You should take a look at The Search Engine Optimization FAQ for more information about links and SEO practices.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even if there is no linkback from there site to his company???

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Getting one way links is best of linkback... They link you without any linking them in return...

Example: forum postings, social bookmarkings....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebirth Studios View Post
    Yes, relevant links contribute a big part of being ranked well.

You should take a look at The Search Engine Optimization FAQ for more information about links and SEO practices.
    Yes... this is the way most search engines work...

Error 404: Life not found silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cooluks View Post
    Getting one way links is best of linkback... They link you without any linking them in return...

Those links are almost worthless except as ways of letting the bots know about new sites and frankly there are better ways to do that.

The best backlinks for relevancy (not PR) are from good quality same context sites using the keywords in the anchor text.
    It's 530 people, but do you really get it?
    ImgWebDesign - Web design in Buxton, High Peak, Derbyshire UK.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cooluks View Post
    Most social bookmarking sites use nofollow so those links are worthless from an SEO point of view.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does your clients domain name contain the keyword he is ranking for ?
    Contact us for all your Search Engine Marketing Needs -
    SEO Affordable SEO Packages

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It may also have something to do with the number of backlinks your client's site has. Onpage and offpage factors are two main aspects of affecting the SERP. What is the URL of the website?
    ClickXposure.com - PPC Management

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the URL:

http://www.cbcast.com/

I think I know where I was wrong on a few things, but I'm still learning and I haven't studied SEO for awhile I've mainly been concentrating mainly on Web Design.

I look up the name of his company when I was looking at search rankings, he has never tryed to be attached to a specific keyword ranking since most of his customers are local. So I think that is where I was wrong.

Take a look and see what you think?? Will links like that with no linkback to his site boost him in rankings??

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bigalreturns's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is ranked #1 because his site is the most relevant to the search "Cyber Broadcasting". A cursory look of the results (Google's) and it doesn't look like a massively competitive search. A site for a business with that name is likely rank first because it has lots of incoming links with that anchor text, and related content.
    The external links, to Yahoo etc, that you describe have zero SEO benefit. Their presence is utterly unrelated to his performance in rankings for any query.
    "The proper function of man is to live - not to exist."
    Get a Free TomTom