SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help Desk software that doesn't suck?

I've been tasked with finding a new Help Desk solution for my company. The basic idea is that we sell software and we need to support it. Our customers have accounts to our current web-based solution, login, create a ticket, and are responded to by our customer support staff. Simple enough.

However, I've been looking across the web and have found nothing but crap for Help Desk solutions. It's either certified for IE only, design-inspired from 1995, or contains too complex of a licensing structure. We're prepared to shell out a few thousand dollars for a solid solution, so why can't I find something that works in all modern browsers, provides screencasts/demos on the product website, and works in an easy to use way? The only special requirement we have is Active Directory authentication integration.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the company I work for are slowly migrating from a heavily hacked up Mantis bug tracker, to Kayako.

Basically Mantis is the workhorse for our whole support team, but it doesn't support a number of things we need for larger support teams (e.g. SLAs, better customer interaction, monitoring).

However, Kayako supports this and we're currently trying to migrate everything over and integrate it with our current customers so they can login with their existing user/pass.

The code for Mantis is really hacky, Kayako is better but even when you buy the source code there are some important files which are still Zend encoded (I've been *****ing at them about this, but they won't budge).

We also evaluated RT - but it's too might of a nightmare to learn it all, and it's a PITA to setup and get running nicely.

Also, with Kayako, the desktop apps really rock (especially the Outlook integration).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny you mention Kayako. I discovered their SupportSuite product this afternoon and signed up for the online trial. It's pretty amazing and only costs $500. I would imagine we'll go that route.

I used Mantis at a past employer and didn't like it all that much. You can tell it's an open source application just by the UI. It's ugly and obviously designed by programmers.