SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Notice: This is a discussion thread for comments about the SitePoint article, Build Site Traffic with Error Marketing.

I thought articles at SitePoint were meant to be of general interest. I wasted my time reading this whole article which is shamelessly plugging a site typobounty.com. Went to the site, which is a brand new PR3 site which has paid out a whopping total of $100 in bounties and is mostly full of unused advertising space. Please, don't waste my time with any more articles like this. Sitepoint articles should not be a place to plug nothing sites as some kind of marketing panacea.
    Last edited by dmwalk; Jan 18, 2008 at 09:41. Reason: typo

Kris
    SitePoint Community Guest
    I agree. I mean, how many users are really going to want to spend their time poring over ****** web copy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spells advertorial

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tyssen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean, how many users are really going to want to spend their time poring over ****** web copy?
    I reckon this strategy will have a very short shelf-life for that reason. Life is lived at such a fast pace these days that people don't have time to spend reading everything on a site in the hope of making a few measly bucks. When people realise the returns aren't commensurate with the time they're spending, they'll pack it in.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with you all

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by asprookie View Post
    Spells advertorial
    The author has no affiliation with any of the sites mentioned in the article.

I agree that the site is ordinary (broken in FF!), but I think the concept is very interesting, which is why I made the call to publish the article. You'd be amazed at what people obsess over once there is a competitive element introduced, and it's good to think outside of the box sometimes.
    I design beautiful, usable interfaces. Oh, and I wrote a kids' book.
    Follow me on Twitter.
    Read my blog.
    Buy my book, Charlie Weatherburn and the Flying Machine.

Anonymous
    SitePoint Community Guest
    I'm not sure I've ever heard my kid sister and her friends consider if her returns 'commensurate' the time they spend tagging friends on MySpace or fighting as Ninjas against the Pirates Group on Facebook.

You'd be surprised at what users will spend their time doing especially if they find it entertaining. I think a lot of people had doubts about online social networks thinking users and business alike had nothing to gain by being organized in this fashion but look at its marketing value now. The arguments are the similar in the article above regarding Error Marketing.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The concept is intriguing, and given the error density on many sites, it might even be profitable, but TypoBounty.com is apparently moribund, with almost no activity since early fall.
    Lines such as "I strongly urge every web site owner to list his or her web site on TypoBounty.com" sound less like promoting the concept than they do shilling the site.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tyssen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    I'm not sure I've ever heard my kid sister and her friends consider if her returns 'commensurate' the time they spend tagging friends on MySpace or fighting as Ninjas against the Pirates Group on Facebook.
    Give them a dictionary and they might.

The difference with Facebook and MySpace is people are there because they like the content and to have fun. Granted you might still be able to find sites you like and have fun when participating in error marketing, but I doubt it'll happen all the time so what it then boils down to is spending time searching for errors in return for payment - no-one likes getting paid peanuts and if you have to spend ages just to earn not-very-much, you're gonna get sick of it pretty quick.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BrowserBounty?

The scripts of the website experience problems with FireFox and other related browsers. We are working to resolve these issues. We apologize for any incovenience this may cause. Thank you.
    Orbitz doesn't play either :(

Interesting read :)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Employing a technique like error marketing, which encourages a web users' commitment to actually reading and comprehending your web site, is an excellent way to increase web site traffic and raise conversion rates.
    Looks like I have a future in this.
    Thank you, Chuck Norris.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

will give it a try

Always looking for new ways to create traffic... thanks will give it a try.

David
    DVH
    www.davidhurowitz.com - about David Hurowitz
    www.searchtoppers.com - Search and Mobile Marketing
    www.riflesnguns.com - a Gun and Rifle community site