User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Error 404: Life not found silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyPaddy View Post
    @JJMcClue --> With more than one H1 tag what do you choose to put in the title tag of the page? - Should there not be some type of consistency between the title and H1 tags? --- Like Stymiee said.
    Yes, from an SEO point of view. I would include whatever keyword phrase I'm optimising for in the title and the first H1 tag.

What I'm asking is if I use two H1 tags for reasons of accessibility or semantic markup, would that cause SEO problems, i.e. penalties.

Should we always restrict H1 use to one per page for SEO reasons?
    It's 530 people, but do you really get it?
    ImgWebDesign - Web design in Buxton, High Peak, Derbyshire UK.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy C. Ankerstjerne's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You shouldn't really do anything for SEO purposes, if it conflicts with semantics or usability.
    Christian Ankerstjerne
    <p<strong<abbr/HTML/ 4 teh win</>
    <>In Soviet Russia, website codes you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by C. Ankerstjerne View Post
    You shouldn't really do anything for SEO purposes, if it conflicts with semantics or usability.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't conflict with semantics or usability, it's the very reason I'm doing it, I want to know if it causes SEO problems.

Are you saying that it conflicts then? What are you saying?

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bigalreturns's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JJMcClure View Post
    What about on a home page, say you have a 'welcome' paragraph followed by a brief 'what we do' paragraph which would link to a what we do page.

The titles of both are equally important from an accessibility point of view and semantically, I would give them both an H1 tag.

Would you try to avoid using two H1 tags? If so, why?
    I wouldn't do it - H1 represents the main title of the page, and a page should only have one main title. In the case you describe, I would use h1 for the main title, in this case the name of your company probably. I'd then use h2s for "welcome" and "what we do". To me, the definition of an h1 tag excludes its use more than once on a page - if you feel you need more than one h1 tag, they should be h2s, with a more general page title as h1. Alternatively, as mentioned above, the page should be split into two, with each one having the respective title in h1.
    "The proper function of man is to live - not to exist."
    Get a Free TomTom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigalreturns View Post
    I wouldn't do it - H1 represents the main title of the page, and a page should only have one main title. In the case you describe, I would use h1 for the main title, in this case the name of your company probably. I'd then use h2s for "welcome" and "what we do". To me, the definition of an h1 tag excludes its use more than once on a page - if you feel you need more than one h1 tag, they should be h2s, with a more general page title as h1. Alternatively, as mentioned above, the page should be split into two, with each one having the respective title in h1.
    Thanks for the answer.

I've yet to get an answer to the question of whether or not it causes SEO problems though, which is the reason I brought this up.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bigalreturns's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldn't tell you for 100&#37; sure, but I'd say 99% no. However, when I say no problems, I mean it will give you no negative effects - it doesn't mean your maximising the positive benefits of your tags. The reason I say no negative effects, is because a casual site owner who doesn't care too much about semantic code etc., could easily use multiple H1s with no intention of SE manipulation. It wouldn't be in a SEs interest to penalise for this, although obviously many many H1s, crammed with keywords would be penalised.
    The problem with multiple H1s IMO is that it's diluting one of the most important on-site ranking elements. Two H1 tags means twice as many keywords in H1, so half as much importance assigned to each keyword. It's the same effect as having long URLs with many phrases in them - it dilutes the importance of each one. So your best option is to have two pages where appropriate, and let each page take the task of ranking for its specific keywords, and you stand the best chance of doing well for all the keywords you want to rank for.
    "The proper function of man is to live - not to exist."
    Get a Free TomTom

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm sure it doesn't cause SEO problems per s&#233;. If nothing else it probably just dilutes the value of H1 tags on the page which would not be beneficial for SEO purposes.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyPaddy View Post
    How much weight does an H1 carry over an H2 in SEO.

Will google pay attention to the H1 tag of a page or the page title (i.e. within <title></title>) ???

Edit:

I know it pays attention to both --- But which one carries more weight?
    Nobody outside of Google (or any other search engine for that matter) knows for certain, and those who do know aren't talking, so why bother speculating?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz View Post
    Who are you putting first, yourself or your users?
    In case you are responding to my post, I'm not quite sure I follow you?

From a philosophical point of view, I am of course putting myself first. If I was not, I would not be interested in being successful, and thus would not have to make as good a user experience as possible, in order to get more users.
    Actually it wasn't in response to your earlier post (but the quotation got included with yours for the sake of clarity in this post), it was a reply to JJMcClure's. But since you decided to bite, I'll explain. You (and I'm using this word in the general sense here, not "you" personally) should put your users first every single time. Especially if you want to be successful, since the users are the ones who will be determining whether or not you are successful in the end, not you (again, I say "you" here in the general sense of the word). Besides, nobody wants to be the next Courtney Love, anyway (especially with her "forget you/me first" attitude). Yeah, she may have the money (ok, so it was Kurt Cobain's money), but does anybody really like her? And would anyone really want to be in her position anyway? I know I don't (which is why I make every effort to put others first). Give a little, get a lot. Give a lot, get a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by cheesedude View Post
    H1 = Pizza recipes

H2 = Chicago Style Pizza
    H3 = Chicago Style Pizza History
    H3 = Pizza Ingredients

H2 = Cheesedude Style Pizza
    H3 = Cheesedude Style Pizza History
    H3 = Pizza Ingredients

Etcetera.
    I love that example (I'm fond of using newspaper articles as examples myself), but what does a history of the pizza have to do with the recipe?

(Darn you, now you've made me want to make a pizza.)

What about on a home page, say you have a 'welcome' paragraph followed by a brief 'what we do' paragraph which would link to a what we do page.
    I do this on my home pages a lot. But I still use the H1 heading for the page title, and then work the paragraph (or 2) into it (kinda like an overview of what the site is about).

The titles of both are equally important from an accessibility point of view and semantically, I would give them both an H1 tag.

Would you try to avoid using two H1 tags? If so, why?
    I'd still avoid it. The "about" page has its own topic, and the overview is just that - an overview - and not a topic unto itself.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overuse of H1 tags doesnt help you in any case. From my experience, it is better if you forget search engines and concentrate on usability. Tested with header tags in the past, but it didnt seem to make much of a difference.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dan
    I think you're missing my point here. I'm not saying that my users aren't important. What I am saying, however, is that in business, one should always put oneself first.

When you put yourself first, you will always try to optimise your earnings to match what you want (which may not be making as much money as possible, but it might - it can also be to give the user the best user experience possible, but that is not a viable business model, and we then move into philanthropy).

Once the goal of the business is clear, it is then possible to set up a series of short- and long-term strategies, which should lead to desired goal. In a web business, this will probably involve optimising the user experience, including making the website semantical and accessible. Providing a good user experience and a semantical and accessible website is not really a goal in itself, though: every action has to serve a higher purpose, otherwise it's a waste of time and money.

As originally mentioned, this is quite philosophical, and for those in the industry who knows what they're doing, it's probably a subconscious thought process.
    Christian Ankerstjerne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't say "forget the search engines" alemcherry, but I also wouldn't treat them as the second coming of [insert diety here] either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Christian, are we both going to argue about the two sides of the same coin here?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to – we could split the thread into a philosophy discussion. How does The Fundamental Philosophical Approach to Web Page Construction – Motives and Execution sound to you?
    Christian Ankerstjerne

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I love that example (I'm fond of using newspaper articles as examples myself), but what does a history of the pizza have to do with the recipe?

(Darn you, now you've made me want to make a pizza.)
    It gives a little historical background on how the pizza came to be or evolved from another style.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Christian, are we both going to argue about the two sides of the same coin here?
    That happens a lot on this forum.

In any case, thanks for the input peeps I think in future I'm going to go with just one H1 per page.