SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Normal Typefaces Possible?

Is this the only way you can have nice typefaces?

Or is image replacement the best method?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May I ask why do you need to go this route?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Design reasons really, web based fonts not looking good enough.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ah, the dream of Web Fonts. There is someone developing a character-by-character image replacement technique so you can type whatever and it's done automatically for you without Flash, but it's not ready for prime time by any means, but is an interesting idea. *Edit it does use Javascript but I think it might be serverside...? I forget.

If you need to change the letters on the fly or you're using it blog-style where new headers come up all the time, the sifr method is more flexible. However, it relies on Javascript (usually, tho I guess it's not really necessary) and Flash, which means only those with Js and Flash get to see the nice typeface. I'm mixed about this; I have zero problem seeing both the normal (ugly pink) text at geenstijl.nl and the Flash replaced... however on another forum someone asked this question and pointed to a luxury goods site (I forget, it was something like Mont Blanc? Blanc Mont?) where the Flash didn't load, but was detected by my browser, and all I saw instead of the default text was a white block. Gah! Flash seems to be the bloat of choice on Luxury sites.

If however this is just Headers or Titles on sites where yeah maybe the main content changes but the big fancy text doesn't, images will do and will be available to more people (of course you will have the images sitting atop real text so everyone and their bots can read it either way). The downside of course is when you want to change the text, you need to also edit the image every time as well: Bring out the GIMP!

Working version of sifr: www.geenstijl.nl (pink letters.... slow loaders see this unstyled text while waiting for the Flash to kick in)
    Working version of accessible image replacement in appropriate places: http://stommepoes.nl/VanLeeuwenGlas/vanleeuwenglas.html ("De Organisatie", and "24-uurs-service" on grey bar, not including title)