User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My new dream site is ready - now what

Hi guys,

Ive completed my website and im ready to launch...However ive read so much about what to do and what not to do over the course of the last three hours. It seems that alot of information overlaps between good and bad.

In your opinion, and if this football related website was yours. What would you do first to promote your site to the largest audience and being the most cost effective on a bootstrap.

The one thing i need to mention is that before you mention WRITE ARTICLES AND SUBMIT THEM. I dont think this fits the business at this time..

So what should I do first ?

Buy ads on large football related forums, pay for a website review, pay for backlinks on blogs, post to every directory i can find, PR this PR that....

********* user
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stumbleupon and submit a press release

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've picked a very interesting (and slightly odd) time to launch a football form with the end of the season just a few weeks away. On the plus size, there's a ton of football buzz and interest right now and that's something you can capitalize on.

While I'd normally suggest a traditional SEO building effort augemented with some paid campaigns, you don't appear to have the budget for the paid campaign or the time for SEO. What you do have is tons of people looking for football information.

My suggestion would be to put your effort on going viral. Get your content updated to talk about the very latest playoff events, matchups, injuries and anything else related to the upcoming championship and superbowl. Promote this through social groups on sites like facebook, in blogs, on the forums of teams and anywhere else where fans are visiting. The more you have to say about the game this weekend and in a few weeks, the more people are going to link in and they're ready to discuss, comment and contribute. Now is the time so get on it. Said another way, you want to get viral -- you want to get in people's face (and minds) and you have to do it right now.

After the superbowl expect a dramatic slowdown in activity especially after a few weeks lapse. To help keep things going, a contest for some gear might be a good investment as well as a good way to lead capture. You can also follow up with more post-season discussion of the outcome, the upsets, team changes and all the other ins and outs of the sport.
    - Ted S

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    going to take your advice and try it now

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    got a link to your site? I'm a football fan and would like to see what you're offering...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd start commenting on large football blogs and forums with your site in the sig line or linked.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should add your web site information to as many search engines as possible to allow your web site address to come up during category and subject searches. Then target the right visitors and have an effective presentation.

Good Luck

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by steelejones View Post
    In your opinion, and if this football related website was yours. What would you do first to promote your site to the largest audience and being the most cost effective on a bootstrap.
    Who's your target market here? All football fans, fans of a certain team, fans in a certain area?

Once you know who your ideal prospect is, I'd figure out what they read and where they get their information from and try a press release (if there's something newsworthy about your site) or some advertising.

Steve

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that you 've done the easy work, it's time to promote your site. You might want to find groups/organizations that deal with your target audience and let them know your service is live. Submit to the three search engines. Write and submit an article. Create a squidoo account and make a lense about your service. That should get you found and indexed by the major SEs. Promotion and getting backlinks are the keys to your success (assuming you have something of value of course).
    godaycare.com - Canadian daycare listings with reviews
    Parenting and Child care Forum - Canadian child care forum